xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the lack of daylight I pretty much only make it out on the weekends this time of year. It's been hard to find stuff lately with the ground being frozen in many spots. On Saturday I went to a park that has been around since the Victorian days and hit the wooded areas. These area's are full of trash but I'm thinking that they probably haven't been searched as much by other detectorists. It's almost like I have a certain window of time to find a nickel. Early on I'll dig anything. As the day wears on and I've dug pull tabs and bottle tops I'm less likely to dig a nickel signal. I'm getting better at picking a nickel out of the pull tab signals though. About 15 minutes in I got a possible coin signal and gave it a dig. Out popped my first V Nickel ever! It had some nice detail to it or so I thought. Once the dirt came off it was that purple pitted monstrosity you see below. I won't complain though it was nice to find a new coin to me and it's a great year. 1899... I wonder if they had a classical song that was equivalent to Prince's song to get people psyched? Must have been a nice time. People had no idea that the world was careening toward environmental collapse!

Sunday I met up with the "Silver Bandit." aside from being very skilled at metal detecting he has an uncanny ability to find the good stuff almost every time. We had been eyeing a series of colonial era fields. We had to wait for the grass to be matted down by snow and then thaw enough to be able to swing and dig. The time was right so we took advantage of the weather. The first two fields weren't producing diggable signals so we went down to the last one. It was a small field he went to the left and I went to the right. Right off the bat he found a KGIII. It was in pretty nice condition compared to many of the coppers we see in New England. A nice sign that the field was ripe for treasure. Two minutes later he found a KGII also in nice condition, and dandy button with shank. I swung all over the place trying to find something... anything. I started to get desperate... where was the find for me? Ahhh! We all know it doesn't quite work like that. I eventually found a copper but it is about 98% wiped and misshapen. I think somebody hammered on it. There are a couple letters that looks like INE near the rim. I have no idea what it is. It drives me up a wall to not know what it is. When I die... if that ever happens... I imagine you sit in a room and they go through your metal detecting finds and identify all the unknown coins for you. That's only if you are good. I hope to have better luck next time but not a bad weekend overall!

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    789.3 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 12

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you with the coin ID, but congrats on a nice hunt! I've yet to find a v-nickel or any large copper, so I'd be happy with either! Also, I love your thought on having all your mystery items identified when you die (if you're good)!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V nick is actually not in that bad of shape, with proper restoration she oughta be a beauty, grats on that first!

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V nick is actually not in that bad of shape, with proper restoration she oughta be a beauty, grats on that first!

Whats the Proper restoration of a V Nickel entail exactly, I have one Exactly the same as that one. Same Year even.
Nice finds...
Congrats..

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats the Proper restoration of a V Nickel entail exactly, I have one Exactly the same as that one. Same Year even.
Nice finds...
Congrats..

You could try the following:
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
-Soak coin for 2 minutes
-Remove and scrub vigorously with a scotch brute pad
-Repeat several times then rinse and wash with soap to stop reaction, coat with a little Vaseline

This will turn the nickel silver by eating away the copper that has leached to the surface, remove any green crud, and soften the flaky look. Definitely try this with a copper looking Jefferson Nickel first to make sure you are ok with the look.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post. Congrats to you and your friend on a great day out.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, I think all those V's look exactly like yours, I know mine do. congratulations on the finds

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice V nick! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: At least you can tell what it is and get a date!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/4 cup white vinegar
-Soak coin for 2 minutes
-Repeat several times then rinse and wash with soap to stop reaction, coat with a little Vaseline

This will turn the nickel silver by eating away the copper that has leached to the surface, remove any green crud, and soften the flaky look. Definitely try this with a copper looking Jefferson Nickel first to make sure you are ok with the look.

Thanks for the advice I'll give this a try sometime as I also have a few purple buffalo's as well!

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/4 cup white vinegar
-Soak coin for 2 minutes

would be interested in seeing someones results with this method...

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one wants to experiment get a low value rust colored jefferson nickle and go at it with a steel wool pad and soap/water. I was told years ago the nickle in the coin is harder than the steel wool. To be used at your own risk and do not use that method on silver war nickles.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt cant help with ID I like the hydrogen peroxide warmed up a little then drop the coin in for 5 mins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread