MORE PICS Historic Battlefield Hunt, Hurtgen Forest Germany. lifetime experience

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
POST 2 HAS MORE NEW PHOTOS
Long Story Alert!!!

Recently my unit decide to conduct a Staff Ride, a trip that visits historic military sites. The focus is to study military history. What better place to do it than Europe. This trip's objective was the Hurtgen Forest, where during WWII Germans and Americans fought a fierce battle in the dark forest of the area. We also traveled to Belgium to see US cemeteries and the fort of Eben- Emael.

With my metal detector folded in my backpack, I was ready to get a glimpse into the past.

My current unit is the 54th Engineer Battalion, they draw their lineage from the 1340th Engineer Battalion. The 1340th fought in the Hurtgen Forest in 1944. They were given the mission to defend a bridge on the tiny Call Trail in the forest. Unfortunately, C Co of the 1340th was attacked by a German Recon unit causing such heavy casualties that the 1340th had to retreat (C Co had 4 soldiers left).

I was traveling with about 35 soldiers from the unit. We had a tour guide for the 3 day event, Mr Schulz who was an older ex-German WWII soldier and ex US POW. He is also the author of many books about the events of the Hurtgen forest, a great person.
Okay, back to metal detecting, I was a little apprehensive about pulling out the metal detector. Afraid, that the buddies will mark me as some nerd. At a pasture over looking one valley, some challenged me to start because they did not think I would find anything. With luck on my side I scored a bullet in the first 30 seconds, everyone's attention was suddenly on me.

Back to the bridge that 1340th was defending. I climbed the hill and found two foxholes overlooking the bridge. There I found M-1 Garand clip and some ammo casings. To think that 60 years ago our lineage unit probably fired those rounds defending the bridge..items are going to the unit historian.

Our next site was Hill 400. Here the 2nd Ranger Battalion fought a very fierce battle against the Germans. Ownership of the hill changed hands a couple times. With five minutes to wonder around, I got a decent signal. From the dirt came the Infantry Crest, possibly worn by a member of the 2nd Ranger Battalion.

Other finds of shrapnel, casings and barbed wire were made. Also the tour guide gave to me flatten US canteen and mess kit.
It was a wonderful experience.

SCROLL TO REPLIES FOR MORE PICTURES

Metal Detecting near Call Trail Bridge, fighting positions are uphill from me. The 1340th defended the bridge.
DSC03834SS.jpg

Finds from fighting positions over looking Call Trail bridge, US ammo and clips.
DSC03836SS.jpg

Some finds at the local museum dedicated to Hurtgen Forest battles.
DSC03947SS.jpg

Some gave all, nearly 8000 US soldiers in a Belgian cemetery, 4 MOH recipients and 7 from the 1340th Engineer Battalion.
DSC03963SS.jpg

Me and my new MD partner, he's very quiet. At the local museum, this area was heavily mined and bombed.
DSC03939SS.jpg

Descending the Call Trail, here a US tank was disabled and soldiers used it as an base for a pendulum effect using metal cables. Allowing other tanks to bypass the disabled tank. This area saw heavy fighting.
DSC03777SS.jpg

Inside Fort Enen Emaule in Belgium. They thought this fort would never be penetrated. However, 80 glider borne German Engineers landed on the fort and penetrated the fort using secret hollow charges. I'm inside the bunker where a German soldier made his way into underground shelter and detonated a 50kg hollow charge against a door that was heavily reinforced. Two Belgian defenders died in the area behind me.
DSC04170SS.jpg

Part II

Upvote 0
OP
OP

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
Re: Historic Battlefield Hunt, Hurgent Forest Germany.once in a lifetime experie

[size=10pt]NEW PHOTOS ADDED[/size]

These finds are from the forest area, the loaded US M-1 Garand clip was on my last swings walking back to the bus, it was a nice find. Also pictured is a piece of a bunker and shrapnel.
hurtgen forest last.jpg

US canteen and mess kit, a real mess from my tour guide.
hurtgen forest canteen.jpg

Items found in foxholes overlooking the Call Trail Bride. Items are most likely from C Co 1340th Engineers.
call trail bridge.jpg

Most rewarding find from Hill 400, which was occupied by the 2nd Ranger Battalion, a Infantry Crest.
hill 400.jpg

NEW: A cross at the cemetery for a member of the 1340th EN BN, we laid unit coins on the crosses.
DSC03991SS.jpg

NEW: One of the few Medal Of Honor recipients at the cemetery.
DSC04058SS.jpg

NEW: While being led on a tour to see the battlefields from a distance, I noticed cut corn and freshly dug dirt. Then a van pulled up with Americans in civilian clothing. They were from JPAC in Hawaii and they located the remains of two American soldier (To the right in the corn) The soldiers died in 1944 and a German farmer forwarded a tip about a possible grave in that area. It was a coincidence that we got to witness the recovery of the remains Alot of respect for the JPAC soldiers.
DSC03732SS.jpg

NEW: A German military cemetery in the area, many graves marked UNBEKANNTER SOLDAT
DSC03650SS.jpg

NEW: Marker for a soldier that was found in the woods, metal detectors helped in the discovery.
DSC03609SS.jpg

NEW: The Siegfried Line aka the West Wall, this obstacle ran thought the area.
DSC03591SS.jpg

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hurtgen_Forest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Eben-Emael
Thanks For reading
HH

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Historic Battlefield Hunt, Hurtgen Forest Germany.once in a lifetime experience

Fantastic post, great pics. Thanks for sharing it.

kenb

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Historic Battlefield Hunt, Hurtgen Forest Germany.once in a lifetime experience

that is totally awesome..and I love your new quiet buddy LOL

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Historic Battlefield Hunt, Hurtgen Forest Germany.once in a lifetime experie

What an awesome post!!! Thanks for taking us along, I really enjoyed that. The finds are great considering you only had a short hunt and I'm sure some respect was made by your peers. The heritage, lineage and history of your unit must have been a great experience to learn about and you just extended it. I'll bet the unit historian was not expecting something like that, LOL. Will those finds be displayed at the HQ? I enjoyed the tours I went on with the unit, always a great time! By the way, you make KirkPA look like a munchkin and you are not even flexing, LOL! HH, Mike

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

WOW...now's that's wild. I was just watching the PBS 14 part documentary "The War" last night for the first time and wouldn't you know it...last night's chapter included the fierce fights in the Hurtgen Forest, including the "lost batallion" that was rescued eventually rescued. 400 men lost their lives rescuing the remaining 200 or so that were pinned down by the Germans for weeks with little or no ammo or food left. There was some amazing footage in this series.
So many lives lost.

great relics and what a spot to hunt!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most outstanding post that I have seen in a long time ! To be on those spots and realize that there ,not to long ago was a battle to the death.That is a somber feeling. I went to several American cemeteries over in Europe and you can't help to get misty eyed when you read the names and places that these heroes were from. True heroes !Thanks for posting.

slotman

Oct 30, 2005
edgewood, washington
Detector(s) used
garrett gti 2500,Tesoro, Bounty hunter

That was a really great report! thank you for sharing it!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Re: Historic Battlefield Hunt, Hurtgen Forest Germany.once in a lifetime experie

Great stuff! I'd also caught the episode of "The War" which Danimal referenced (it was good). I like the belt buckles you found... one seems to be from the Luftwaffe, but what is the other one? And is that a P-38 pistol? (not the flare gun). Thanks for sharing a bit of history.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Great post, thanks very much!

P-38, a Schmeisser MP-42(?), saddle drum magazines for an MG-42 or -34, you have an incredible bunch of WW2 relics.
They ought to keep the Unit Historian busy for a while.

I saw or read somewhere that this fiercely-contested battles need not have been fought--that some U.S. General decided that we had to go through the forest. I can't remember the details, but the line units pay the price when the flag officers screw up. That never changes.

I made sure that, as they grew up, my daughters knew a good deal about history in general and wars in particular--how many skulls we all stand on.

Thanks again.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Great pics and story. Thank you for sharing. It does make one feel humbled in that those men & ladies died for our freedom. It does look like a super area that would take a lot of time to completely search. But it is for a super cause. You have great finds.

OP
OP

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2

Thanks all
Just to clarify, the finds in the glass case are not mine. They are part of a local museum display.
HH

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

88...thanks for showing us your finds.

I was in the 82nd Engr Bn (Combat) in Bamberg from '69 to '72. Wish I'd been into MDing then. I took platoons to Hohenfels for a month at a time for range maintenance and had all kinds of time on my hands. There was remnants of a castle at the back of the range and it would have been a fantastic place to hunt.

Hope you have some more opportunities to get out and find some goodies!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome trip and artifacts.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

88 ,did the old German soldier have any stories to share. That would be interesting.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Best posting I've read on TNet for a while. Cool stories and finds. It's so rare when stuff comes out of the ground and you know the story it is telling you. Thanks for posting and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for serving!

DCMatt

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005

great pics and really cool finds.thanks for sharing

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

88irocarmy said:
Thanks all
Just to clarify, the finds in the glass case are not mine. They are part of a local museum display.
HH

My mistake... I was just drooling over the pictures so much (and noted the Schmeisser as well) that I thought you'd dug them all. What a great site to be able to detect! Again, thanks for sharing! -Ben

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hiya 88,

I want to commend you for the outstanding post & pictures. It's really incredible to hunt a area of history such as this one. Awesome finds! As you stated a once in a lifetime experience...man, you really did a tremendous job. I got a kick out of your "silent MD partner", just looking at his MD and thinking about what he had to find with it, just gives me shivers.

Stay safe and thanks for your military service.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread