wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had some stormy weather lately along with lower tides. I found a spot late Monday afternoon that had a lot of black sand showing. Hunted until sunset in a small area. I counted up (70) dimes in the findings.
I headed back last night to the same area and resumed digging dimes immediately. Dug another (105) dimes for a total of (175) from basically the same little patch.

I wonder why this seems to happen?... IMG_2463.JPG the dimes accumulating in one area. A friend told the story of finding (400) dimes in one hunt at the very same spot?
IMG_2461.JPG Good Luck Out There

Upvote 41

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
must have something to do with their weight and size. pretty wild spot, I would hammer that spot every chance I got.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see some SoCal black sand finds!

Any silver in the mix?!?

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with a good haul of dimes. I agree. Keep pounding that area for awhile longer. Congrats

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would seem sometimes coins wash into a hole or low spot. I once found about 30-40 in the same spot. It was a whole roll someone dropped in the shallows. I figured I'd clean them up before they scattered.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a lot of digging. There’s been a lot of black at the beaches lately, one spot was so bad I got the overload sign on my equinox. Congrats on the great hunts.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I would make an undersand catch trap in that spot and keep going back

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great spot to hunt, sure kept you busy! :occasion14:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I have never seen that before?!?! Any silver?

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Wild! I'd keep digging there. Nice haul.

OP
OP
wildcarrot

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I have never seen that before?!?! Any silver?

There wasn't one silver coin in there. This spot is known for silver coins when the conditions are right. I've found Standing Liberty Quarters, Walkers and Mercs at this beach.
Even though there was black sand showing there were no real cuts. Just to much sand right now. I was hoping to find some gold but the only ring was the aluminum one in the pic.
The gold and silver is there it's a little deeper than my old pi could reach :)

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Hawaii there are pockets or deep holes off shore. After a big storm those pockets empty out. The locals that dive know where they sit, and really don’t wait for the storms. Occasionally after a storm I will find multiple coins or jewelry in one location on the beach. Normally at the high or low tide line. Heavy coins or metal find the lowest spot and remains there until a big storm or diver locates the hole. At least that has been my experience. Locally they call them “Honey Holes”.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful around black sands, my radiation detector goes crazy near that stuff, apparently it's made of dense minerals including Thorium and Uranium. I've been studying black sands lately and it is insane what many of them contain. If you were to process and concentrate the most dense particles out of that sand you could probably create your own nuclear reactor from the material. I've read 50-100+ times higher than normal background radiation levels just in the regular black sands as they are on the beach. I measured radiation levels in the white sands directly adjacent and they register as perfectly normal, but the black sands - they are something else. I've been wanting to buy a spectrometer to see what elements are actually in these sands, but the unit I want costs 10 thousand dollars :/
Screenshot_20180719-000611.jpg
The level displayed above is over 100 millirem, not that high in the short term (still 50-100X higher than normal), but if you were to be in contact with it on a daily basis or were to accidentally ingest or inhale it, it wouldn't be good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread