A Lady and me sitting under a tree

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out to the pine woods yesterday where I have been finding relics and some early 1900โ€™s coins (a Mercury and some Wheaties). I tried a more open area with only a scattering of trees, but the digging was tough because of frozen patches and lots of vegetation. Still, I found a broken button with no markings, but with a pattern that reminded me of a turtle shell. I also dug a bent copper spoon with a nice scallop design on the top of its handle. (Any way to straighten without breaking?) I also recovered an ornate what-is-it (any ideas?), a couple clad coins, and some square nails (a good sign, I believe). I was running out of time and the digging was too tough in that area, so I decided to get selective and target the areas under the biggest trees I could find, as I know that is common advice. I swear it wasnโ€™t two minutes later when I got a fairly clean signal about four or five inches down close to the trunk of the tree. I dug the hole, saw a silver sliver (say that five times fast) of a coin, and thought I had another Mercury. I brushed the dirt off the back and got excited thinking I actually had a Barber. I flipped it over and nearly had to sit down myself when I saw Lady Liberty sitting with her shieldโ€” my very first Liberty Seated coin! I was very happy and continued searching the base of the tree hoping for a silver coin spill. While I did not get another Liberty Seated, I dug an 1887 Indian Head penny about two feet away, only my fifth one of those coins. While I wanted to keep going, I ran out of time. However, I will be heading back to that area soon, including the area with the square nails once the ground softens. I might try the smaller coil I bought for the ATP Pro there first. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• Lib Seat Dig Mix.jpg
    Lib Seat Dig Mix.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Lib Seat Front.jpg
    Lib Seat Front.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Lib Seat Back.jpg
    Lib Seat Back.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 36

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job that at will hit deep. Try ground balancing then manually turn the bal number down by 8 that will help with the deep deep coins. Always good and fun to go back to a hot spot Awesome finds. Tommy

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K.I.S.S.I.N.G :tongue3: Congrats on the beautiful coin.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first seated. The ATP is a really capable machine. I've found silver in pounded parks with it. Which small coil did you get?

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! I look forward to finding a lady for myself someday.:laughing7:

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job that at will hit deep. Try ground balancing then manually turn the bal number down by 8 that will help with the deep deep coins. Always good and fun to go back to a hot spot Awesome finds. Tommy
I have seen mention of that ground balance trick before, but was not sure if it actually worked or not. I will give it a shot, since an experienced user like yourself is recommending it. Thanks!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first seated. The ATP is a really capable machine. I've found silver in pounded parks with it. Which small coil did you get?
I got the 5X8 DD coil. I have not used it much, as I get impatient trying to cover sufficient ground in the short hunts I usually do. However, this spot I am hunting seems to have a lot of nails and trash items, so I am going to give the smaller coil a try, since AT Pro users seem to swear by it. Thanks!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you be holding her. congrats

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice seated! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: That sitting lady is #1 on my bucket list this year!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Seated coin. That looks like a nice one.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And a beautiful lady she is...! :occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds congrats! My first seated dime was in very similar condition and I nicked the surface with my lesche. Excellent coin though!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Seated lady! Congrats on your first!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread