1 hour after dark hunt

Pheasant Hunter

Greenie
Jul 29, 2007
Warren, Pa
Hit a local park and thought I would walk the wooded path by the creek, rather than searching the playground. Lots of Lincoln Memorial cents, most on top and a few an inch down. Wasn't finding anything for a little while, then got a good hit. An inch down, I popped out a 1937 wheatie. I swept again and still got a signal. Out popped a 1917 Wheatie. I figured, "why not?" and swept the spot again, getting yet another signal. Out comes a 1944 (tough to see the date.) Swept again, and got a broken signal. Out comes a square nail. Then it was all silent. Since I was almost at the end of the trail, and my wife was calling on the cell phone, wondering if I was still alive, I called it a night.
On the 1917, there appears to be a "mark" of some kind, to the left of Lincoln, near the rim. Now, I could be wrong - it could just be crud on the coin. But I don't know for sure. Anyone have an idea what it is? I have them soaking in olive oil at the moment. Snapped a quick pic, before they went in.

Attachments

• wheat cents 007.jpg
    wheat cents 007.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 400
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pheasant Hunter

Pheasant Hunter

Greenie
Jul 29, 2007
Warren, Pa
UnEarthed72 said:
Is the mark a mint mark D or S?
On which one? I can't tell on the 1944... too much crud. I don't think the other 2 have a mint mark, but of course, I'm far from an expert on coins and fairly new to the hobby. Hopefully the olive oil will loosen it... actually I'm hoping it's the D over S, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. lol

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Pheasant Hunter said:
UnEarthed72 said:
Is the mark a mint mark D or S?
On which one? I can't tell on the 1944... too much crud. I don't think the other 2 have a mint mark, but of course, I'm far from an expert on coins and fairly new to the hobby. Hopefully the olive oil will loosen it... actually I'm hoping it's the D over S, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. lol

On the 1917 you said it had some sort of mark,i'm also far from an expert.Some of the 17's had mint marks and some did not if it is it would be a D or an S.
Heres a good wheat cent site
http://www.coinfacts.com/small_cents/cents_lincoln_wheat_reverse.html

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Some nice finds there. My wife also calls me on the cell phone when I hunt at night. She says the same thing " Are you still alive"? I reply no I'm the guy that just killed him. LMAO!!! She then calls me smart a*s and then says be careful. See they do care for us. Keep the finds coming and HH Roy.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My husband calls me while I'm hunting to ask what's for dinner. I just tell him that dinner is whatever he decides to cook :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread