xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend some MD pals invited me to hunt an 1800's farm out of state. I went to sleep that night dreaming of reales and coppers. I was going to find some great stuff. On the way down we stopped at a supermarket and I bought a scratch ticket. Then I checked the coinstar. I found a 1946 rosie. I used the lucky coin to scratch the ticket and won two bucks. It's kind of a metaphor for detecting: You get just enough to keep going sometimes. I declared that we were going to have a great day! We got there before the person who had received permission did. We called and made sure if it was okay to start. We must have swung for about 5 minutes when a car drove up and an agitated man started approaching us. He looked upset. Who are you what are you doing here etc.? We assured him that it was okay and that we had permission. We waited for our person to arrive and explain it all. She arrived and after some back and forth we learned that the owner of the property we thought we had permission from had deceased and we did not have permission. Then our permission getter asked if we could talk to the deceased mans son. She called him and got permission! It was on! The place was full of trash and we looked for several hrs. Woods, fields and had very little to show for it. I found nothing not even a wheatie. Things were looking kind of bleak. Then while we took a break and ate lunch an irate man drove up. Now we had the farmer. He insisted that our permission with the property owner was no good and that we were essentially done detecting there. He was concerned that if somebody else saw us they'd show up and do the same thing. What was the big problem? In his hay fields he claimed that our plugged / filled in holes caused weeds to grow and would ruin his crop. He's like "I get it my girl watches joke island but I can't allow you to do this here." There was no convincing him. He suggested that we detect around the farmhouse. This was the location of the original angry tenant. We were given permission to do the yard. We found nothing but some clad. Time to get the F outta there. I was truly surprised at how little we found between 5 detectors. I will take responsibility I should have kept my mouth shut about it being a great day. I won't waste anyone's time with a picture of a coinstar rosie. Until next time: Find the gold don't get old!

Upvote 1

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you how many times I've received permission only to find it to be a total bust.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience - hope next time works out better for ya.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer our detector club got permission to two very promising sites. Both dated back to the mid 1700s. Go figure....the best find from both places was a single Indian penny. Over 20 people and nothing to really speak of. We think they have been hit hard in the past.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry about the crazy day...I believe we all been through days like yours. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread