Back to Spanish field...early buttons, 2 cent.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Went back to the field that produced my first spanish...a cut pistareen. After finding just a wheat, found two of the first buttons to come out of the field. The first was marked "Imperial Gilt" with an eagle on the backmark. The British button makers were known to place eagles on the backmark to indicate the degree of gilt. (Crusader mentioned something about this in a yesteryear post of a similar backmark). Probably early 1800s.

The second button is an early naval button, 16 stars, eagle looking left, anchor, shield. The slight hint of remaindered gilt on the shield/anchor. The backside is marked AM Peasley Boston. Research indicates Peasley was well established by the War of 1812 and made many buttons peaking in 1820s-1830s. Not sure where this particular button fits in timewise but is very cool to me. A look online indicates this may be NA-66B or a variant of that type according to Albert's button book.

The last find is a farm fertilized 1865 2 cent piece. Front was absolutely toasted, the back can just be made out to know what coin/year it is.

A lasting lamentation here is that I could not have found these items sooner when they still retained their glory. Years of sitting in constantly fertilized soil did their darndest despite my best efforts toothpicking. Shame.

Having said that...I will cherish these awesome finds.

Happy hunting!

IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG

Upvote 14

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found an 1865 two cent piece that was in great shape, one of my favorite finds. That Navy button iscool

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds looks like an awesome hunt spot keep rippin

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread