My Kingdom for a Coin!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted old house sites around here till my back is screaming. Junk, relics, but no coins. I think these farmers were dirt poor back in the 1880's and had little money. I'm just about to sell my AT Pro and head to the coin shop. I guess that's where I have to go to find coins.
Yesterdays finds. Gary

DSC09302.JPG DSC09311.JPG DSC09303.JPG

Upvote 18

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in farm country here in Michigan, Iv noticed that the homes in country (old farms mostly) have very little coinage but in the towns around this area the yards are loaded with cool stuff, I think alot of my old farms have bin hunted in the past....

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. I have an 1860's permission. House and barns still standing. Only have found relic crumbs as you have. Rumor has it 20 children have been raised there.
Still no coins. I have no reason to believe this property has been detected earlier.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't give up on the old homesteads or fields Gary. Those are the places to be. We all hit dry spells, and like the others said, this hobby has gotten so big that the places you are searching may have already been hit. Try hitting old homes in neighborhoods. Everybody likes to hit the old homesteads out in the country. Even homes in the 1920's and 30's can produce some nice coins. Besides all that, I think you picked up a nice relic on that hunt. I like that heel plate.

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted my family’s farm in northern Michigan back in the 1970s and found no old coins. I know they had little money to lose.

Bryan1776

Jan 1, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES MX SPORT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Ohio, back in the 70's and early 80's everybody and there brother got a detector and scoured the country side! They cherry picked like hell. you find very few old homes around where that hasn't been hunted at least once. Having said that, with your detector you should be able to go deeper than the old detectors.
I tend to hunt closer to edge of yards and around big old trees, most people hunt the center of the yard regularly!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that heel plate. I would love to find one. Nice find! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

damian1013

Apr 1, 2019
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to dig the junk to get to the treasure, the minute you give up someone else will detect it and find a fortune.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I'll keep looking, but it sure is frustrating. When I detected back in the 80's it was in town and yes, I found coins. I figured it would be the same out here. I always ask my permissions if anyone detected in the past and according to landowners there was never much detecting going on around here, but who knows. Gary

Oct 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in southern Illinois too and don't give up! I found my first seated liberty dime last week on an old farmstead that is now a field. It is on a hill one half mile from my house and I found the sunken ground where the well was at and found the 1891 seated dime and a 1905 Barber dime close together. The last two days I have went to another hilltop homestead (now field) site and again found the filled in well. I found an 1893 World's Fair Chicago Columbian Exposition coin token there as well as 7 indian head cents, 9 Lincoln cents and yesterday, a seated half dime which I think is from 1847 (still trying to clean up). I researched my new site and the 1905 plat book states it was owned by a doctor. He had some money and traveled, obviously. It is a beautiful time to hunt in this area too! Julie

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice heel plate. I have found a couple with the clover but I need the heart.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find that some of my old farmsteads away from the city have very little coinage. Looking at old maps from the 1800’s I can see why as there were very few stores or taverns around back then. The heel plate is a great find. Suspender clips, buckles and flat buttons make up for lack of coins at some sites. Congrats on your finds!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've felt the same way, I figure most of the coins are hidden under the layer of trash near the house.....

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never done well at very old houses/homesteads. My best house finds have come from houses built in the 1930's/1940's

Fugazi

Greenie
Apr 30, 2018
Detector(s) used
Ace 400 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only gets better with time, possibly try a 5x8 coil as they are lighter and still get the depth you need

My first year of detecting I didnt find any coins so I went to the coin shop and bought a roll of indian head's to play with!!

I many hours under my belt and still have only a few coins to show for it. Lots of axe heads and buckles, some silver fur trade stuff and a ton of square nails

The heel plate is awesome and a very showable piece, I've never found any heel plate only buckles with heart shapes on them

I promise you there will be one day and one site that will make your year and get you hooked

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice relics! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go out many times and get nothing it's still fun the anticipation but we all need a bone here and there keep your coil to the soil my friend

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure that is a Civil war Heel Plate. That is a VERY cool find. Pretty sure they were only issued to soldiers. Google it. I have found 2 of them and love them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread