Three bucket listers in VA, including a federal artillery button!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Virginia is for lovers …. and diggers! We rented a cabin this week in western Virginia to do some fishing, hiking, and sightseeing with the kids. I brought my detector along, as the property included a large farm field. I asked the owner if I could detect the area, and he graciously said “yes.” (God bless southern hospitality!) It was a large field and I had limited time, so I mostly concentrated on an old dirt road along the edge of the field nearest where I thought a house once stood. During my relatively short first hunt, I found an undated Buffalo nickel, a couple flat buttons, and a few round balls. The next day was more productive. It started with a few more round balls in the open field, a couple buttons, and a slick copper. Things got even more interesting for me when I found a bucket lister, my very first Large Cent. It is dated 1849 and produced a high 90s tone on my AT Pro. A short while later, I dug my second bucket lister, a two-ring Minie Ball. It is about an inch long, weighs 28 grams, and has an approximate diameter of .575 (though it is tough to tell as it is slightly mashed). I am thinking it is .577 caliber and possibly Civil War era. Any opinions or guesses as to the caliber or rifle would be most appreciated. I was finishing up and saw my son crossing the field to get me, when I got a penny tone at about four inches. I was hoping for an early Indian Head penny, so I was a little disappointed when I saw it was another flat button. However, that feeling quickly passed when I saw the image of a cannon and an eagle on its face. It appears to be a circa 1812 federal artillery button, my first military button, which is another bucket lister for me. The back of the button says Extra Rich in raised lettering, while the front says Artillery and Reg, though that does not show in the photo on account of the dirt and my poor photography. If anyone has any opinions on this button type or suggestions as to how to safely clean it, I would be most grateful. Anyway, I had a very productive four or five hours of hunting, and brought back some great souvenirs of a beautiful state. Thanks for looking. Good luck out there and Happy Easter.

Attachments

• Virginia Finds.jpg
    Virginia Finds.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Virginia Large Cent.jpg
    Virginia Large Cent.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Virginia Minie Ball.jpg
    Virginia Minie Ball.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Virginia Artillery Button.jpg
    Virginia Artillery Button.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 26
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post wow Amazing finds I havent been on vacation in over 10 years 2 Daughters and now Collage some day!!!!!! Thanks for the post really awesome have fun and Happy Easter my friend. Tommy

Thanks, Tommy. I hope you can take a vacation soon, as ten years is too long I have four boys myself, and it is tough getting away sometimes. I hope you had a nice Easter too. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and congrats to a fellow Massachusetts detectorirst! I have not found too many buttons. There's a pretty extensive how to clean buttons post by buckle boy. Just search how to clean buttons on this site. I read the entire post in great detail because I recently found a decent mass militia flat button and wanted to clean it up. I wish I had practiced more as I went with the "naval jelly" treatment he talked about. I think that I actually made my button a little worse by leaving the chemical on it too long. I was very careful to not leave it on too long but it was still too long. It turned parts of it white and generally made it look worse. My completely amateur advice for that button is a dry brushing with a plastic brush. Maybe some very light delicate toothpicking with a wooden tooth pick. Good luck!

Thanks neighbor! I will search out that post for sure. I am going to be real careful with this one. I just bought Renaissance Wax, and hope that helps. Sorry about the Militia button. Did you post it on T-net, as I would love to see it. If so, what date? Thanks again for the tips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread