Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this little beauty while recombing an area that I've been over with the ATPro at least 50X. Signal with the 800 was predominantly 12, touching 11 & 13 periodically, so right in there with pulltabs & nickels. I assumed pulltab before I broke dirt & was more than happy to see a button at a mere 4" down.

20190418_114134.jpg 20190418_114141.jpg

I couldn't wait to get home and knock the dirt off of it. I couldn't see anything on the face until cleaned & then I realized I had my first one piece convex Eagle Infantry button!!!

Shadow Front 1.jpg Back 0.jpg
Back 1.jpg Back 2.jpg
Shank Profile.jpg

The backmark reads "W.H.HORSTMANN & Co <symbol> /PHILAD <symbol>". My book puts this between 1829-1845. Note how the N's are reversed. There is a Tice AY200A2 which is an Artillery version that I found online. Would someone be kind enough to provide me the corresponding Infantry version # from Tice?

I can't believe how thin this button is. Thickness is about 0.025"(0.63mm). Diameter 0.74"(18.8mm).

The area has been a cow pasture for many years, and at the 4" depth, I am astounded this 174+ year old button never got damaged.

Thanks for looking, HH!!!

Upvote 22

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks D!!!

That is my oldest button to date. Not sure how old the Block I cast button is. Just the fact that this delicate little button survived under all those hooves over the years is amazing. And apparently an officers button too.

Remember where the front pond is on my farm? ~100 feet from where you parked your car that day.

Pretty sure the Cast I was made during the Civil War , That button could have been used by a Soldiers Dad or Granddad then put to use in the Civil War ??? .

If I recall right you got mostly Confederate stuff from the Pond / Farm area , I knew that I wanted to hunt the pond area that day + cause of all the stuff u had found there .. Cool that it waited for you , that is a special property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread