Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Upvote 141
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An interesting note I would like to share with u . At two O clock on the reverse u can see light rim damage where no doubt a soldier stepped on it. Not damage from a digging tool as on both sides. I thought when found and examined it did hit it with my digger to but found the damage is light and both sides if the coin and would be impossible to like lightning striking twice at the same place. I am currently researching the officers present from the British 82nd REgt of Foot on the Heights when the Americans fought them in this 20 minute skirmish. There were two Cpt Archibald Campbell and Lt John Moore. Campbell broke upon receiving fire and returned to the fort . Lt Moore held his ground until the last minute ,causing more American casualties ,and then retreated . A brave British officer that distinguished himself that day and went on to become an outstanding general.

Attachments

• DSCN3524.JPG
    DSCN3524.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN3522.JPG
    DSCN3522.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3523.JPG
    DSCN3523.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 240th anniversary of this Battle will be in less than two weeks. I don't know if Castine or a Revolutionary War group does anything to commemorate the Battle, but it brings a smile to my face to know that you will do something appropriate to pay homage to those who sacrificed at the siege and assault 240 years ago.

Thanks Rick
Far as I know there are no plans and to celebrate this history. Until John Cayford , who wrote the book "The Penobscot Expedition in 1976 and started researching in 1953 as I understand it this battle/ siege was a humiliating loss to Americans and the folks where it happened would rather keep it unknown for the first 75 years of tye 20th century. Mr Cayford brought this history alive and I thank him for that. Gary

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting note I would like to share with u . At two O clock on the reverse u can see light rim damage where no doubt a soldier stepped on it. Not damage from a digging tool as on both sides. I thought when found and examined it did hit it with my digger to but found the damage is light and both sides if the coin and would be impossible to like lightning striking twice at the same place. I am currently researching the officers present from the British 82nd REgt of Foot on the Heights when the Americans fought them in this 20 minute skirmish. There were two Cpt Archibald Campbell and Lt John Moore. Campbell broke upon receiving fire and returned to the fort . Lt Moore held his ground until the last minute ,causing more American casualties ,and then retreated . A brave British officer.

From what I have been reading, Moore's bravery through his entire career was typical of his character. Always led from the front and known for humane conduct toward his enemy and refusal to commit atrocities. Reading about this brave man from "the other side", I am reminded of another Moore that I admire - Hal Moore.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic coin, it is so beautiful! A huge congratulations!!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man! What-A-FIND!! :icon_thumright:
You have a pristine GOLD COIN, a piece of history...., TREASURE!

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
That is an amazing find! Congrats. I just read through 9 pages of comments and was surprised by how many had a hint of negativity. To me its pretty straight forward, you popped a beauty of a coin at a site hunted by others, which makes it an even better find.
Of course its a banner find.....thanks for sharing

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making banner! :hello2: I cast my vote back on May 25th (several pages back) and was certain that your find would make banner sooner or later. It's not every day that a member of this forum comes home with a potential banner find, and most, if not all members feel a sense of pride in making the coveted banner feature. I believe the moderators do an outstanding job in maintaining the forum for the overall good of the entire membership while taking into consideration the overall consensus of likes, votes, comments, and so forth. Not everything happens in a day, or a week, or even a month, but as long as you get there, it's all good. Fantastic find. You got the gold and got to banner!!! :goldtrophy::award_star_bronze_2:goldtrophy:

silvarhunters

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2019
MA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garret AT, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin! Congrats on that awesome coin!

HH
Al

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huge congrats
That’s an incredible find

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an amazing find! Congrats. I just read through 9 pages of comments and was surprised by how many had a hint of negativity. To me its pretty straight forward, you popped a beauty of a coin at a site hunted by others, which makes it an even better find.
Of course its a banner find.....thanks for sharing

Thank u very much and yes there was some issues raised but not about the coin. . However I am glad to see the little gold coin is where it should be. Yes I think it is nice to be recognized but to me not about the finder as it is about the find. Just my opinion as others I respect as well. Gary

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on making banner! :hello2: I cast my vote back on May 25th (several pages back) and was certain that your find would make banner sooner or later. It's not every day that a member of this forum comes home with a potential banner find, and most, if not all members feel a sense of pride in making the coveted banner feature. I believe the moderators do an outstanding job in maintaining the forum for the overall good of the entire membership while taking into consideration the overall consensus of likes, votes, comments, and so forth. Not everything happens in a day, or a week, or even a month, but as long as you get there, it's all good. Fantastic find. You got the gold and got to banner!!! :goldtrophy::award_star_bronze_2:goldtrophy:

Silver Tree Chaser
Thank u for your vote on the little gold coin. . As for taking long well I think some thought maybe would be sooner but no matter the history and the coin I hope everyone enjoys. Actually I did come back to Tnet as when i found the coin was considering how to best get the coin and it's little known history out there and Tnet or an article for Western Eastern Treasures were my options. WE&T would take time and Tnet with all it's members I thought would enjoy immediate. I did not think of Banner when listing only to share my find and those after this one. Yup some issues raised but it is now on display for al to see and enjoy. My first and probably only gold coin but we say never say never in this wonderful hobby. Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank u all for getting this coin and it's history to Banner. Much appreciated. Moving on to find more from this battle/ siege and hope to share it here on this great site. Gary

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry missed this post.

This coin is in beyond great condition for something found in the ground.... even if gold.

Banner find.

Super well done... and then some.

Congrats.

PS...
I forgot to use the word that truly describes this find... "STELLAR".

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry missed this post.

This coin is in beyond great condition for something found in the ground.... even if gold.

Banner find.

Super well done... and then some.

Congrats.

PS...
I forgot to use the word that truly describes this find... "STELLAR".

Thank u very much and I am indeed a lucky man to have found it. One gentleman wrote" Go back and dig the rest of those pull tabs" . Of course as a relic hunter I dig all targets as a rusty bayonet, or cannon ball is in the words of the guys on "Pickers" "Rusty Gold". I almost called it quits a few years ago but this battle , as an old soldier, is in my blood ,and long as the legs hold out will continue I hope to my 25 th year. I am at 71 now and built like the Tasmanian Devil without the attitude and a perfect fit to this rough terrain. Last year was a great year that I wrote an article for WEstern Eastern Treasures and featured some. It is a site that just keeps on giving and I am happy to bring this history to al if u. AS in the words of a commercial "Wait there is more" . Gary

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet Gary! :occasion14:
Making a coin find like that will get you nominated all day long too!

Dave

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet Gary! :occasion14:
Making a coin find like that will get you nominated all day long too!

Dave

Dave
Thank U . This site in my 23 years now hunting it has indeed been extrodenary . I wish now I had started on Tnet in 1996 if it was around back then and showcased what this mostly unknown battle/siege has given up. I had many what I call "Quality Moments" when a button, coin or relic came under my coil and would turn off my detector, sit on the ground and just be amazed of what was either now in my hand or
in case of the bigger relics like large cannon balls on the ground. This year I am not sure ,after hundreds of hunts there over those years, why this year has been maybe the best of them all and some finds I now call "Shock & Awe Moments" where I need someone to pinch me to wake me up. I often get asked do I hunt anywhere else but Castine? The answer is no their were only really one great REv WAr battle here in Maine and enough history to keep me busy looking for it. The gold guinea being probably a real shocker and glad to see everyone now looking at it on the BAnner is enjoying it and the history it represents. Recently the rare American bar shot another shocker for two reasons since rarely these are broken in two or more pieces . This one found both only feet apart. This 82nd button profiled here if my hunting days were done today I would end those years happy THer. I made a suggestion maybe there should be a "Yesteryear" section here since many coming on Tnet that r new have old finds could showcase them. Not Banner finds since old but man I would luv to see them. U to? Gary

Last edited:

hill_billiez

Sep 16, 2012
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of opinions being thrown out there. Mine is this. Beautiful find. Gold is all that and a bag of chips.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of opinions being thrown out there. Mine is this. Beautiful find. Gold is all that and a bag of chips.

Thank U and yes there was however there was a good result here and happy the gold coin and history made it to Banner. Again it will be always my opinion it is all and not about the find not about the finder. Some will agree others not and thst is OK. . One should be recognized for the achievement but in the end the find is what we look and read about. Appreciate your comments as I do all .Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread