Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup I know me again and at the REv WAr site where the 1772 guinea was recently found . On my last hunt there found something not of the Revolutionary War period but American Civil War . On the 24 th of May ,on my continued pursuit of REv WAr relics at my site, found as my last target what looks like a lady's stickpin for a hat. The head was a coat button and attached to the center of the back a long 6 inch square pin . Wiped off the face of the button to see the Maine State seal of an officer's Civil WAr button. The history of Castine, Maine goes back to the mid 17th century when De Castine z French fur trader built Fort Penotogoet. He traded and the Indians and married one of the chief's daughters. . In 1779 was built by the British and site of the ill fated "Penobscot Expedition" and occupied it till the end of the American Revolution. Wait there is more. In 1814 the Brits came back and took Fort Madison without firing a shot from that was built in 1808.. In 1863 U.S forces occupied Fort Madison from 1863 -1865. Expect this relic/ button was worn by an officer's wife during that period . She either lost it on the trail or knowing the history of Castine placed it in the ground showing respect for history . Cleaned up well. We will never know who lost it but is an interesting piece and part of the fascinating history of Castine I thought would share with u. The last pic as found, before cleaning, along with 3 Rev WAr relics. 2 Grape shot and 1 dropped musket ball. If u are in Maine I suggest a little side trip to this quint town. About 35 miles South of Bangor. Nope dont work for the town or Maine tourism . LOL. Thanks for looking. . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3555.JPG
    DSCN3555.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN3561.JPG
    DSCN3561.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN3557.JPG
    DSCN3557.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3553.JPG
    DSCN3553.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find Gary. That's pretty unique to find one that's military related.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice bit of Maine history Gary! Thanks for taking the time to share the background story. Interesting stuff!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find and as usual thanks for the background info! I still can't get over the gold coin... but those grapeshot are pretty awesome too. Congrats on it all and thanks for sharing!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful piece!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a post Civil War backmark to me.

Nice victorian era hat pin!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hat Pin

That looks like a post Civil War backmark to me.

Nice victorian era hat pin!
Response to comment about Post War Yup could be late and why I put up a decent pic if the back mark. In Albert's button book(1976) Page 155. ME3 B "Waterbury Button Co" is post . This Bm is "Waterbury Button C0 " with large "O" . Fort Madison was named Fort United States an occupied from 1863-1865. War ended in April of 65 . Could be a late issue. Could be period. Historical either period .

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing about history is it puts us often on the research trail to learn more about our discoveries. With this hat pin Detectinggodlikeonolympus is indeed right the Maine state seal button is indeed war 1870s and of the Victorian era. Found the back mark for this firm that has been making button from 1849 to present . Listed in "American Military Button Makers and Dealers : Their Backmarks and dates. Can't correct the my heading in this post . Thanks to him and good eye. In Castine there is a walking trail called the "Indian Trail where just off it this was recently found. It has been in use now for over 300 years now and today still walk it. Recent finds there , off the trail, 1936 Washington quarter , GW types mourning buttons no doubt WAr of 1812 period and Rev WAr relics. Yesterday I found a 1930 Buffalo nickel - Indian head and ironic on the Indian Trail" plus this hat pin now lost there sometime after the Civil WAr. Not sure at Ft Madison which then called Ft United States from 1863-1865 was rebuilt but was obsolete after the Civil WAr. Who knows who lost this post war stickpin on that trail and that is history .Thanks for looking . Gary

Last edited:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread