Only four keepers....But I'm not complaining!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out much lately, things are kinda tough this time of year. Saturday, I figured I would stop by a farm I started hunting earlier this year and show the farmer the display I made from the finds from his farm. I had my metal detector along just in case. Well I happened to catch the farmer and his son on the property and they were both amazed at what I had found, especially because the farmers brother in law had "been all over the place" and didn't find anything :laughing7: Here is the display minus a Large Cent, Barber Dime, and a Orphan Annie decoder that I found after this pic was taken. Both the farmer and the son took pictures, and the farmer said "have at it" even though I warned him there may be some dead spots this time of year.

Group.JPG

Well I stuck to the shady spots to avoid the heat and because the ground was wetter. An iffy signal resulted in an 1886 IHP with a beautiful green patina. Here it is after a quick cleaning with a dry toothbrush and a toothpick. I have a little more work to do on this one.

IHP Front.jpg IHP Back.jpg

The find of the day was this Civil War era sword hanger off the Model 1851 sword belt. It was a perfect 94 in all directions on the Deus and I though I had a silver quarter for sure. When I pulled it out of the ground it was clump of dirt with some copper wire poking out. I said some bad words at that point, then I untangled it and I knew exactly what it was. Yay!

7-13-19 All.jpg Sword Hanger - Book.jpg

Here you can see where it attached to the sword belt. Hopefully the plate is somewhere on the property.
Sword Belt.jpg

I also got a nice pre-1820 Hard White Pewter button - pretty old button for this site. I have only found a handful of these buttons made with this process, including the one with the oval "football" in this image.

Button - Front.jpg Hard White Pewter - Book.jpg

Thanks for the looks and likes and good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 48

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! All of those finds are amazing! Well done!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job as usual, Steve! Congrats buddy.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouSweet finds places can be considered hunted out hunted out but depends on who hunted them lol. Well done

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only four keepers??? Gotta be kiddin me...hoho! Nice permission you have!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s been a great site. The CW relic save on your last hunt must have you thinking there is more at this site. Congrats!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s been a great site. The CW relic save on your last hunt must have you thinking there is more at this site. Congrats!
I found three eagle artillery buttons and the sword hanger all within feet of an overgrown embankment that leads down to an overgrown ravine. I dug a few holes in this ravine before the weeds came up and ran into late 19th century glassware and broken bottles. I'm hoping there may be more military relics dumped over the edge of the embankment, but I'll have to wait to check that out.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome looking display. Congrats on the gorgeous indian as well!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very nice collection of finds there Steve! What's the title of the book you show identifying the button? I'm in search of a good button guide that would cover the colonial perid through the early 1800's.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very nice collection of finds there Steve! What's the title of the book you show identifying the button? I'm in search of a good button guide that would cover the colonial perid through the early 1800's.
That picture is from this book
20190716_200923.jpg
But it is weak on pre civil war buttons. Albert's covers the early US military buttons much better, and Tice is stronger on CW period buttons. For Rev War buttons, of which I only have a few, I have Troiani's latest book.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, I think the Indian looks great in the state it is now. That patina really shows the detail,

HH,
Pete

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think you can count very well Steve :laughing7: I'm counting at least 20+ keepers but that's okay with me!! Keep em coming brother :thumbsup:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found that sword hanger piece I would absolutely throw it away as trash. That is an amazing ID and save on your part. Congrats on a great find!!!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! It is easy to see why the farmer and his son were impressed - as we all are:occasion14: Man, I'd be hitting that property again and again. It would be interesting at some point to trace back the history of the property owners and see what insight that provides. Good luck!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you can count very well Steve :laughing7: I'm counting at least 20+ keepers but that's okay with me!! Keep em coming brother :thumbsup:
Thanks! Only four keepers on Saturdays hunt....
The ones in the case are from earlier this year 8-)

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found that sword hanger piece I would absolutely throw it away as trash. That is an amazing ID and save on your part. Congrats on a great find!!!
Thanks Copperstax! If you haven't hunted seriously for CW relics (like I have) and have the right reference books, it would be easy to look at that piece and consider it trash. That's why I added the reference pictures to my post hoping that it may help save a similar piece down the line.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! It is easy to see why the farmer and his son were impressed - as we all are:occasion14: Man, I'd be hitting that property again and again. It would be interesting at some point to trace back the history of the property owners and see what insight that provides. Good luck!
This was my 7th hunt at this place since February. So it has definitely been in the rotation. I can't find this house on the old atlases, but the farmer told me the name of the family who owned it previously. I definitely want to research military connections to previous residents.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread