Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was having a great weekend up until Sunday afternoon. Saturday, my friend Ray invited me down for a hunt. Spent most of the day detecting, chatting and having a great time. His wife made us some awesome ribs that fell off the bone for dinner, after that good food, I was through! We only found the usual German finds of mid 1800s to early 1900s but it was great fun and thatā€™s what it is all about. Sunday afternoon was another beautiful day so I went out for a drive through my area in search of the perfect spot. Found myself at a medieval castle at the edge of my permitted detecting area, an area where I suspected a watch tower just had to be! I parked, got my gear ready and made the hike up this hill. Very steep and not easy to access, easier on the other side where I made the climb than this picture shows. To the left is a valley with a river, to the right is the castle where a small town once was at the base of the castle, it was washed away by a flood in the late 1700s.
14Oct07frauhill.jpg

After hiking to the top, I took a quick break then snapped some pictures. Started looking for areas I can detect, my detecting permit limits me so I have to find the areas that fit within the law, sometimes those areas have me dancing on the edge but, I can back it up, provide argument and justification. Hereā€™s the castle.
14Oct07Frauen.jpg

I was looking for natural eroded areas to detect around the mountain sides and also looking for a watch tower base of sort. Just off to the side where I took the castle picture was an area I could detect, a few meters away was a cliff, 100 meter drop. I swung the coil over a few rocks not expecting anything and got a good signal, repeated several times so I dug. A shovel is no good in this environment so I was using a small trowel and a screwdriver between this crevice where the target was. The forest is alive and very noisy as it is autumn here, leaves and acorns falling, leaves rushing with small wind bursts, I saw several squirrels jumping limbs making a loud whoosh. Then I thought I heard foot steps behind me and turned around in time to see someone coming up on me. I said hello as I picked up my shovel. The stranger says hello, what are you doing? I explained metal detecting, history interest, archaeology. He comes back with saying I need a permit to do this. I said I have one. He wants to see it, I say itā€™s in the car. He says if I have a permit I should have it with me, that is true by law, but it is in the car far down the mountain side. I agree to show him the permit after I finish the dig as I am required by law, I make him wait 15 minutes even though I realized soon the signal is under another rock I can not reasonably dig out. Walking down the hill, I interrogate him as he was doing to me, he would not give me his name and I stopped and said if he did not give me his name I will show him nothing and asked what he was afraid of. He gave me his name, no ID, and stated he was a court Judge. I did realize he was smarter than the average bear and continued to the car. He made a few snide comments along the way like why a foreigner was interested in German archaeology and why a foreigner could have a permit. I had really bad thoughts walking down the small path along a cliff with a shovel in my hand. Arrived at the car, showed him the permit, he was very happy to see the sentence that states I have to have the permit with me. Asked to see my passport/ID to verify who I am on the permit, I show him and ask if he is happy that he ruined my day! Words exchanged between us as I put my documents away. Then he had the nerve to ask to see my permit again as he did not notice if it is up to date. I stepped towards him, said that is enough, we are done and you need to move on. Any other questions should be directed to the archaeology department. This will never happen again as I will be even more prepared next time. The only reason I allowed this jerk to get so far with me is because my actions affect every detector, half this German state prohibits detecting. Had this dumb jerk came upon someone else illegally detecting, he could have been easily pushed over the edge of the cliff, it was that close! If I hear anything from the archaeology department, I will go to the police with harassment charges however, I donā€™t really know if that is his real name but I did look up his name in the phone book and it is there. I eventually found the base of an old tower after the fiasco.
14Oct07frautow.jpg

Hereā€™s the finds, most were found detecting with my friend Ray. 3 lead seals and 3 musket balls.
14Oct07lead.jpg

A few relics. A watch winder, thimble, brooch that was gold plated with 4 green stones that look like glass, a fancy hinge, a clock winder and a button.
14Oct07relics.jpg

Some coins, late 1800s to early 1900s. Upper right are two French coins, bigger coin is a 1947 aluminum 1 Franc.
14Oct07coins.jpg

A 100 gram bowl weight I found in Bavaria last weekend, dates to the mid 1800s. You can see the 100G at the bottom of the weight, there are 3 hallmarks or quality marks in it as well, one can be seen near the ā€˜Gā€™. These were shaped like a bowl so other weights could be stacked inside each other saving space, I have almost two complete sets now, missing a few to complete the second set. I think my friend Ray found the top from a weight container this weekend.
14Oct07weight.jpg

Believe it or not, this outhouse is rare in Germany. I have looked and asked around but they are hard to find and really are not old by German standards. I am researching this house and trying to gain permission to detect it. Doubt I get permission to dig the outhouse and not sure I would want to as it was probably used even after WWII.
14Oct07hopout.jpg

Here is the house I am trying to gain permission to detect, the out house is also seen in this picture in the middle. I saw a sketch of the house in the townā€™s history book that dates to 200 years old, it has not changed at all. Around the whole house the owner has a garden and where this picture was taken was a town well, note the dug garden to the right. Behind the house was part of the townā€™s market place or center of town, it is also a garden ready to detect. This is in front of my apartment beside a church, hard to explain but it is somewhat hidden. Tried to keep it short, LOL. HH, Mike
14Oct07hophouse.jpg

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Excellent post Mike!!

Thanks for explaining all you have to go through to detect there in Germany. All I hafta do is drive out there and dig - I got verbal permission three years ago and that's that. 8)

Great photos of the castle and the base of the watch tower... and of the diggins!

I always enjoy your posts... keep it up!

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
That there is some great finds Mike! It's so awesome that you have a place to detect with so much history!

vicki

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, excellent post! You did handle that situation like a pro. Nice going buddy. Good luck on the house hunt.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!!, castles, watch towers, and midevil court jesters, it sounds like something right out of the movies... ;D

Awesome shots, and it sound like it was a good time overall... Too bad about the hassle. I don't think I would have shown him anything with him having somekind of ID, but I'm in America, and it's probably a little different being over there...

Great digs,, and awesome post, Thanks for sharing...
Continued good luck, & Happy hunting~

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff Mike! Is that castle Fraulingberg? I am sure I misspelled it.LOL

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the look's of some of the cliff's around there Mike there wouldn't be anything left of this guy when he hit bottom ::) Jerk isn't the word.Awesome find's Mike...I'd even take the 1947...Great pic's of the area too,you are very fortunate....HH!!

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
I feel your pain Mike. Atleast you kept your cool, I would have taken the E-Tool from safe to fire. Those accorns falling always get my attention me, especially when they hit metal bleachers at the parade field.
Great finds, you win
HH

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
Great post. Thanks for taking all of those pictures and posting them. I love that castle picture!
Congrats on the cool finds. I found one of those aluminum Francs a few months back.
Must have brought it home from war?
-MM-

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is he going to give you the top of the bowl or will you give him the bowl? (no point them being seperate) - Nice find, don't think we get them over here.

I like the watch winder, new type for me. First for you?

One day in a ploughed field you will get the Celtic gem. I said it on the roman coins & it will happen with the Celtic ;)

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments! I stopped by the police station at lunch. I wanted to verify something I was not sure of. By German law, you must carry an ID card at all times where ever you go, woods, shopping or a walk in the park. Now I know for sure, I will count this as a learning experience, it will not happen like that again! If you can not show me an ID, you can not see mine. Birdman, yes that is Frauenberg castle. Crusader, we are not sure if the lid Ray found is really a container but it sure looks like one, I have only seen a few in pictures and it is Ray's find. I'll try to get a picture of it next time we get together. HH, Mike

R

RUDY2003

Great story Mike. It was intresting to read. You guy's have a hard time findin places to detect there in Germany. You do well at finds, even with those restrictions....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Mike,
Cool post.

I hate when I get any type of hassle when hunting. It does take away from the enjoyment. :P The metroparks permit I have requires me also to carry it with me. I think I have only "risked" it once. Every other time I have had it. I have been asked 3 times if I had a permit and only once to actually show it.

Bob

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Great finds Mike. I was hoping you were going to make a post this week. Very sorry to hear that no matter where you go the "EYE" is always on you! Really glad you had your permit in the car and not at home.... Will email you latter.
HH Mike

Desertfox

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Life is filled with controversy and weird people (I know this too well), but sounds like you handled it very well, great job. I hope you are rewarded nicely on return. The MDing gods owe you one! Nice finds too on this trip!

Smiles!
BDoo

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
Hi Mike. Great story and nice finds. I guess every old castle site has to have a mean Ogre, but it seems that you encountered the one who still remembers who won WW1 & WW11. Such a shame because most of the people that I have met in Germany have been very nice.
Looking forward to your next story and photos.
Ron

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Great story and you had a lot of patients with that dude!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread