Nuestra Señora de La Concepción?

Spnanon

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasure Hunters!

Stumbled across this the other day on an undisclosed beach in Saipan, and am looking to get some more eyes on it. I realise it is impossible to verify any kind of authenticity or positive ID through imagery attached, but thought I would see what kind of opinions and possibilities the forums here would kick up. It is well known that the Spanish Galleon "Nuestra Señora de La Concepción" sank off our shores in mid 1600's and people find jewellery and other artefacts every now and then.
20190825_210644.jpg
20190825_210700.jpg
20190825_210726.jpg

Upvote 12

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key will probably be to have the stones evaluated by a jeweler and see the way in which they're attached.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting find. Very well could be from the "Cagafuego". Best wishes in your research. Cheers !

Cambodian ivory maybe? Precious jewels from Siam, Burma & Ceylon ?
From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestra_Señora_de_la_Concepción

"The vessel was wrecked in 1638 in severe weather off the island of Saipan while travelling from Manila to Acapulco laden with Cambodian ivory, Chinese silks and rugs, cotton from India, camphor from Borneo, spices from the Spice Islands, and precious jewels from Siam, Burma, and Ceylon. All of the 400 souls aboard her perished, and her ballast and treasures were lost to the sea."

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key will probably be to have the stones evaluated by a jeweler and see the way in which they're attached.
Look like paste or glass to me.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Try putting a Ultraviolet light of the gemstones ? TP

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Cant tell ya for sure... but that is one oddball item.

the arrangement and selection of materials in combination like that is not "typical" of jewelry designs of that period.

just plain odd... and not knocking it... but that is one "ugly" design / combo... but this is irrelevant.

Not all jewelry makers have the same "talent" / "artist" abilities... so this could be meaningless as to its origin etc.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea what that is, it looks half jewelry and half oyster

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cool let us know if you find any more info on those

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Cant tell ya for sure... but that is one oddball item.

the arrangement and selection of materials in combination like that is not "typical" of jewelry designs of that period.

just plain odd... and not knocking it... but that is one "ugly" design / combo... but this is irrelevant.

Not all jewelry makers have the same "talent" / "artist" abilities... so this could be meaningless as to its origin etc.
My first thought was a school project!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto Spnanon! :hello:
What a great looking find... as cudamark already suggested, I'm thinking a trip to a reputable jeweler is in order.

Dave

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very odd looking. Are we sure it is one piece of jewelry or maybe it is more than one item globed together by coral?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is different. Hope it turns out to be treasure!

OP
OP
S

Spnanon

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the feedback. Turns out it was a hair clip of cheap modern design. Can find them online nowadays for about 20 bucks...surprising how quick it had become part of the reef. Doubt it is more than 5 years old or so. Probably dropped off a diver or swimmer.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the feedback. Turns out it was a hair clip of cheap modern design. Can find them online nowadays for about 20 bucks...surprising how quick it had become part of the reef. Doubt it is more than 5 years old or so. Probably dropped off a diver or swimmer.
OK thanks, I thought it looked very modern.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nuestra Señora de La Concepción sank off Hispaniola!

Welcome Spnanon

The Nuestra Señora de La Concepción sank off Hispaniola a long ways from your beach.

https://www.sedwickcoins.com/shipwreck_histories/concepcion.htm

I would believe the ship that may have contained your Jewels could have been the Santa Margarita which sank off Saipan in the 1600`s.

History of the Santa Margarita ? Iota Partners & Sea Search Armada

Santa Margarita 3.jpg Santa Margarita.png

Your finds do look like similar jewels found during this period...have them checked out.

Santa Margarita jewels.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread