New site yields coins, bells, relics and a beautiful watch

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old road not far from where I live that I have found many interesting finds. There was one section that I have not done until about 3 weeks ago. The first time in I was driven out, bloody, by the worst swarm of mosquitos that I have seen in years. In my 10 minutes there, however, I found an 1861 Nova Scotia 1 cent, so I knew it was a good area.

My son and I have returned a couple of times now and this is what we have so far:

20190912_002825.jpg

We are really pleased with everything but the star is the 1918 Burlington Watch Co of Chicago pocket watch. The case is gold filled but it has a nice 21 jewel movement that amazingly is still free. We even got it to tick a bit. It had slipped down between some rocks in a stone wall but was above ground and upside down so water did not get inside in spite of the broken crystal. I think it would be easy to get it running.

20190909_153114.jpg

20190909_153117.jpg

20190912_003218.jpg

20190912_003140 (2).jpg

The copper piece beside the watch in the first picture is also a watch back, I believe, as it is marked Geneva, there is also script, that is very faint that I have been trying to read. I expect it is the owners name.

Not far from the watch we found a number of interesting coins:

An Essequibo & Demerary 1/2 Stiver from 1813. This later became British Guiana on the northern coast of South America. I did not realize that these circulated here, but as there was a shortage of small change at that time and our close trade ties with the Caribbean I guess it is not surprising.

20190909_171140.jpg

20190909_171146.jpg

It is interesting how the acid soils up here can eat away coins to just leave an outline

20190909_193911.jpg

We also found an Indian Head that is absolutely roasted but did leave us the scarce date of 1867.

20190909_211756.jpg

We also got 1861 & 1864 Nova Scotia 1 Cents, a 1916 Canada 1 cent, and an 1894 Canada One Cent. This is the scarcer crude 4 variety. It seems that for some reason if a coin has a scare variety, that's what we find, but they are always toasted.

20190912_002901.jpg

Silver always lasts better than copper in the soils around here and the 1902 Edward 5 cent silver that my son found is in beautiful shape.

20190912_003504.jpg

We also got two nice crotal bells and what is perhaps a pipe tamper?

20190916_154646.jpg

Also a copper pierced vine and grape dish that was once silver plated and an old lock that I will clean up at some point.

20190916_155410.jpg

Other finds of the last couple of weeks include a really nice button with a hunting dog that I found at our camp. The back is marked Extra Superb and would date to the 1830's - 1850's

I took the dog out yesterday at another site along a road out in the middle of nowhere and only got about 100 feet before I was called away (dam phones) but managed to find a 1911 10 cent piece and a flattened round ball before I left. I'll be back

20190916_155206.jpg

Attachments

• 20190909_211736.jpg
    20190909_211736.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 15

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds of that watch coming out in that condition are ridiculous! Must have been pretty airtight for air moisture not to get to it as well. Remarkable!

OP
OP
D

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a very minimal amount of corrosion inside, the back was securely snapped closed. I suspect it must have been lost long after the 1918 manufacture date. Maybe by a hunter?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a very minimal amount of corrosion inside, the back was securely snapped closed. I suspect it must have been lost long after the 1918 manufacture date. Maybe by a hunter?

I dunno it looks so clean inside. Like hardly anything besides the little corrosion you mention. so maybe it was serviced right before it was dropped and still pretty well oiled? Or dropped not long after being first used? Beats me. Still just amazing though.

Colonial Digger

May 6, 2019
illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great!! finds love the watch and the bells, the bells still on my bucket list and have been avoid en me for years. AWESOME FINDS / GREAT HUNT

DigginDoc

Aug 6, 2017
BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Tesoro Eldorado, Silver, F4, F1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic hunt bud! Love those finds especially the watch. Nice going.
Cheers
Doc

OP
OP
D

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno it looks so clean inside. Like hardly anything besides the little corrosion you mention. so maybe it was serviced right before it was dropped and still pretty well oiled? Or dropped not long after being first used? Beats me. Still just amazing though.

In the case there are numbers scratched, which I believe are marks left when serviced to show the settings? Also, the broken crystal is plastic so I am thinking that was a replacement. I suspect that the watch had been serviced a few times and was 40 or 50 years old when lost. It was high and dry in the wall but you would think that condensation would seep in. I am stumped by it but not complaining.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I love the coins over everything that pocket watch is really something special! If you say you could get it to tick sounds like there is hope for it. I'd take it to a jeweler and get it in working order. A working pocket watch is a true rarity!!!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the case there are numbers scratched, which I believe are marks left when serviced to show the settings? Also, the broken crystal is plastic so I am thinking that was a replacement. I suspect that the watch had been serviced a few times and was 40 or 50 years old when lost. It was high and dry in the wall but you would think that condensation would seep in. I am stumped by it but not complaining.

I collect pocket watches. If you get it serviced and fixed do not be surprised that you will most likely spend more than the watch is worth monetarily. Pocket watches, minus a few types, are almost always a losing battle in terms of trying to make money by fixing and selling. For me its one of those "labor of love" things, i spend the money to have them fixed up and in good working condition regardless of the fact that every single watch I own is worth less than price I payed and price to fix.

OP
OP
D

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect pocket watches. If you get it serviced and fixed do not be surprised that you will most likely spend more than the watch is worth monetarily. Pocket watches, minus a few types, are almost always a losing battle in terms of trying to make money by fixing and selling. For me its one of those "labor of love" things, i spend the money to have them fixed up and in good working condition regardless of the fact that every single watch I own is worth less than price I payed and price to fix.

It was my son who got the signal for the watch so I will sneak it away and try to get it fixed up and give it to him for Christmas. I too love old watches, my main watch is a 1915 silver Borgal trench watch with a black face. It was worn by an officer of the Canadian Mounted Horse at Vimy Ridge in 1917 and is engraved with his name. Vimy Ridge is a big thing here in Canada, kind of like Gettysburg to an American and is one of my best ebay scores.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...beautiful watch and an incredible coin haul... congrats on a stellar hunt !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that must have been well traveled love the old pocket watch and coins looks like you need to keep pounding that road. Well done. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread