Hammered Farthing I.D
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hammered Farthing I.D

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Hammered Farthing I.D

    Hi guys , could someone please help me I.D this Farthing I found today, I also found a ring, though not sure on its age.

    CheersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191009-WA0048.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	1760262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191009-WA0046.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	1760263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191009-WA0038.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	1760264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191009-WA0040.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1760265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191009-WA0042.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1760266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20191009-WA0044.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1760267

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Rook

    Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    12,451
    40638 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I believe you have Spanish silver. Nice ring. After looking again, it may be hammered.
    A2coins and steve_rowlands like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

  3. #3

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by rook3434 View Post
    I believe you have Spanish silver. Nice ring. After looking again, it may be hammered.
    Pretty sure it's a hammered Farthing just can't work out who's it was.
    A2coins likes this.

  4. #4
    us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    1,973
    3216 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow!
    Beautiful stuff...!
    Coin looks like a long cross.
    And, that ring is old, too!
    Hand-made, one-of-a-kind, I'd say...!
    steve_rowlands and A2coins like this.
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

  5. #5

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemustdigtreasure View Post
    Wow!
    Beautiful stuff...!
    Coin looks like a long cross.
    And, that ring is old, too!
    Hand-made, one-of-a-kind, I'd say...!
    Hope to find out which monarch it was, thanks for the kind reply

  6. #6

    Jun 2013
    445
    805 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow those are iffy signals.. You must have dug a lot to get that. By the look, I would guess a cut Henry III voided longcross farthing, but I am in no way certain. I would love to know more about the ring. Gold?

  7. #7

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubka888 View Post
    Wow those are iffy signals.. You must have dug a lot to get that. By the look, I would guess a cut Henry III voided longcross farthing, but I am in no way certain. I would love to know more about the ring. Gold?
    A guy said it could be a post medieval fede ring but I'm never that lucky so it's probably from H Samuel!
    Looks old to me, silver I think

  8. #8
    Great finds. I'm thinking late Medieval English on the coin. Was it found on this side of the pond or the other side?
    steve_rowlands and A2coins like this.

  9. #9

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yeah should have said, found in Buckinghamshire today on a club dig at a farm

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    24,090
    30811 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Excellent finds wow great ring yep that coin would be easy to miss. Well done
    steve_rowlands likes this.

    Approved TreasureNet Stickers

    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

    (Free Shipping)


    SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

  11. #11
    us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    2,691
    3309 times
    Can't help but those are two very nice finds. Congratulations and hope you figure it out.
    steve_rowlands likes this.

  12. #12

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've learnt not to fully trust VDI if it hits both ways I'll always dig it. Nox 800 btw.

  13. #13
    us
    Randy

    Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    4,696
    10733 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
    What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_rowlands View Post
    I've learnt not to fully trust VDI if it hits both ways I'll always dig it. Nox 800 btw.
    Never trust any machines VDI. I barely look at mind.

    OK, you have a voided long cross farthing of Henry III.

    More importantly, you may have potential Treasure on your hands. Make sure you hand that ring over to the FLO within 14 days of me telling you this. (its normally 14 days from the find date, but they are flexible if you didn't suspect it was Treasure) It could qualify as Treasure under the terms of the Act. Rings are not my specialist subject but it looks over 300 years old to me & contains more than 10% precious metal (Gold).
    You will need to provide a 6 fig grid reference (don't worry you can point to the field on a map they will have), & I would rush to the land-owner to ensure you have an agreement to share the find 50/50. Unless you have a prior agreement with them as to what happens to the objects you find. You will need their full contact details (they tend to like email as well as full postal address) to pass to the FLO. Show the owner the ring as it will be in the system for over 14 months. It will probably be returned, unless your local Museum wants to purchase it.
    Last edited by CRUSADER; Oct 10, 2019 at 02:52 AM.
    david680 likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

    'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

  15. #15

    Sep 2017
    126
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Never trust any machines VDI. I barely look at mind.

    OK, you have a voided long cross farthing of Henry III.

    More importantly, you may have potential Treasure on your hands. Make sure you hand that ring over to the FLO within 14 days of me telling you this. (its normally 14 days from the find date, but they are flexible if you didn't suspect it was Treasure) It could qualify as Treasure under the terms of the Act. Rings are not my specialist subject but it looks over 300 years old to me & contains more than 10% precious metal (Gold).
    You will need to provide a 6 fig grid reference (don't worry you can point to the field on a map they will have), & I would rush to the land-owner to ensure you have an agreement to share the find 50/50. Unless you have a prior agreement with them as to what happens to the objects you find. You will need their full contact details (they tend to like email as well as full postal address) to pass to the FLO. Show the owner the ring as it will be in the system for over 14 months. It will probably be returned, unless your local Museum wants to purchase it.
    Wow, so the ring could be something of interest
    I'm guessing FLO is finds liaison officer? Or similar.
    Not too up on the process, is it county specific? As in it was found in Buckinghamshire so I need the bucks one?

    Please forgive my ignorance but I'd rather do it right than wrong.
    Any help as always appreciated, I'll speak to the owner of the group on the terms he has with the land owner.
    Kindest regards Steve
    eyemustdigtreasure likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: May 20, 2018, 05:54 AM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: Jul 19, 2017, 06:00 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: Jun 04, 2014, 03:19 PM
  4. Smallest hammered, best Rose farthing and weirdest buckle
    By hammered in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Sep 24, 2011, 12:15 AM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0