Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, corny title but hey...
Here's a few finds I thought were interesting and a something I have no idea about. These were found at a friends farm which dates from 1840. It's 250 acres and the old house which was a pass through for folks to travel on the original road. I've barely scratched the surface at this point.
All found with the Equinox 800 and the 6" coil, park 2 setting.
Beautiful cameo, before and after quick cleaning. 029.jpg 030.jpg A neat little coin holder pendant. At first I thought it was a little pocket watch wa 022.jpg 020.jpg 021.jpg Then there's this? I have no idea what it is. It's 1/16th of an inch thick and seems to be copper. Looks to have Asian characters on it? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! 023.jpg 024.jpg 025.jpg 026.jpg 027.jpg

Upvote 25

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cameo is beautiful, but the coin-holder pendant is amazing! I've never seen such a thing before. Excellent finds!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I found one of those coin holder pendants back in 2009 in a drained lake. It had two barber dimes stuck to the inside of the cover as the coin holder holds nickels. I had it for like two months before I finally go it open and found the coins covered with lime.
I did take pics of the item and discovery. I should post.
Grats on the cool finds.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cameo is beautiful, but the coin-holder pendant is amazing! I've never seen such a thing before. Excellent finds!
A first I didn't know what the coin holder was. Again, I thought it was small pocket watch (I've lost count of how many I've found so far nothing really valuable but seems to be plenty of them around here for some reason). The face was ajar and I didn't want to mess with it till I got home. Once I worked the hinge a bit I opened it and out ran a black spider! Inside was a nest too. After cleaning it up I still had no idea or at least couldn't remember what it was. After a bit I found that the center portion was on a spring and could be pushed in. I figured the center was also the right size for a coin so I Googled pendant coin holder". well, up pops pictures of just that. I don't know why but for some reason something like it sticks in my mind. That's why I put that maybe I just didn't remember one that I may have seen in the past. Pretty cool though. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those coin holder pendants back in 2009 in a drained lake. It had two barber dimes stuck to the inside of the cover as the coin holder holds nickels. I had it for like two months before I finally go it open and found the coins covered with lime.
I did take pics of the item and discovery. I should post.
Grats on the cool finds.
Post your coin holder. Love to see another. Thanks for the comments!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find's! The other piece may be a book mark?

Iowa Dale
I thought that too and it may well be. I just thought it seems too thick, small and heavy to be that. Plus, it would certainly would leave an imprint on the page when the book is closed. Again, it may well be a book mark as things were done a little bit differently back then. Thanks!

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Bodkin
What is the cameo metal? What did it ring up on VDI?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
two awesome way cool finds, my first thought was a book mark as well. too bad there wasn't a coin in the holder. man with finds like that already, you may be in store for even more awesome finds. have fun my friend

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no expert, but the little research I did on your pendant keeps coming back to a "sovereign holder". And a British sovereign is about the size of a US nickel. So... I'm betting that sucker was made to hold a gold coin!
It looks to me like it could have been hung on a fob, like a watch... or along with it somehow.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the awesome relics! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert, but the little research I did on your pendant keeps coming back to a "sovereign holder". And a British sovereign is about the size of a US nickel. So... I'm betting that sucker was made to hold a gold coin!
It looks to me like it could have been hung on a fob, like a watch... or along with it somehow.
I will check that out. I'll see how a nickel will fit in there or if it's close. Thanks!!!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Super finds. Congratulations

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sitting and "watching" my daughter's karate practice, so I had some more time to read. I think what you found IS a sovereign case. Below is linked an interesting short read on them. Maybe they made them for different coins here in the US, but being something to show off your wealth, I can't imagine it was made to hold a base metal coin! A US gold 5 dollar coin is about the size of a sovereign.
https://www.acsilver.co.uk/shop/pc/What-is-a-Sovereign-Case-d310.htm

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some beautiful finds....possibly silver ?? Boy I'd be looking for a sovereign there now. Learn something knew everyday thanks guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread