Native American Stonehenge???

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A work buddy showed me this on his friends property in northern Maine. It's out in the woods on a small nob above most of the surrounding land, not too high though. All the rocks seem to be carved/shaped onto blocks which have settled. A few have carved depressions forming a basin of sorts. I certainly have no idea what this is all about nor does the property owner. All I do know is that he's given me permission to swing my detector there. I would love to hear if anyone has any idea what this spot could have been used for. It could be something important or nothing at all. Thank you.
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

Upvote 12

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is interesting, just dont let "finders keepers" hear about it.....

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure if he said that You can keep anything You find. Be careful in case You do find that Pine Tree Shilling. Their minds seem to change very fast when they see dollar signs!
Looks pretty Cool!! Promising too.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A small at the time village near me had a big boulder carved into a horsetank at a tavern.
It stayed on the corner quite a while until big trucks on the tight turn began tearing the corner off the building and hitting the tank became too common.
Not sure what became of it.

I'm not saying your site is not native related , but more research by you might reveal an old homestead and/or livestock facility there.
Most folks had a horse or two.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting looking site and objects. Good Luck hunting it!!! :icon_thumright:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is there water near by Like a river where a good size ship could have navigated years ago?

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be Archaic period basin metates. They were used to grind wild grains and are found all over the world in different forms depending on the culture. Many were smallish and semi portable, but I've heard of some that were larger and fixed. The basins were slowly carved out by the action of the handheld stone mano that was used to grind the grains against the larger stone.

large-ancient-native-american-trowel_373_ad6dd461055c85a37214dea1c762caff.jpg

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty uniform in designs, stone looks worked to me. no matter what, it took some time to make those and they are super cool and no telling how old. looks like the two are joined by a similar wall as if made from one rock. worth some research maybe by the local university or such

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some archaeologists who did a lot of New England digs on these type platforms/places. Each one proved to be 17th or 18th century colonial. Just FYI. So with that said you should have a good chance at some very valuable early American coins there! Go for it.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there water near by Like a river where a good size ship could have navigated years ago?
Thanks to all who commented and offered up ideas. As for a good sized ship being able to navigate nearby, no. Closest good sized river for that is a good 10 miles away if not more.
The property owner has no interest in what I'm doing and said to come and go as I please. Doesn't care to see what I find either. I'll be heading over in the next few days and will post if I find anything interesting. It should be fun and hopefully I can find something that will shed some light on what this is all about. Thanks!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
No idea what it is or what it is about, Bodkin. Hope you find some nice older coinage there, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread