How many times do you all cover the same ground?

hunt4stuff

Greenie
Oct 12, 2004
Hi, I started reading your posts last year and really enjoyed them.
I have a rinky dink Radio Shack metal detector that does just fine for an amateur like me. I tried it in the yard last year before everything froze up here in Rhode Island and only found an old Eagle Lantern burner.
The thing is, I rototilled the entire back yard to level it and plant new grass about 4 years ago. It's getting warmer and I wonder if I should even bother trying the same area again since DH dug some out with a bobcat for a swing set area. How many times do you guys detect in your own back yard before you call it quits? I really enjoy reading what you all have found!
Thanks-- Bev

Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bev. I'm from RI as well, and I hit the same grounds many times over. I have an elementary school about a block from my house that I hit at least once a week, when I only have an hour or so to hunt. I have also covered my yard, front and back, but am planning on searching it again now that I have my new Garrett. Where about are you in RI? The history here in New England goes back soooo far, there are great places to hunt all over the place. Good luck!!

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Hi bev,
REPEATEDLY! i don't feel you can ever clean out an area.my own backyard has produced silver and wheats when i thought i had"hunted it out".there are places i go that i hunt very regularly and its like the coin fairy deposits new coins every couple of months!find a area that produces for you and hit every so often.the ground changes,the weather changes and places get new traffic.

bigrig

eddie72876

Mar 27, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
All the time... I am fairly new to THing (started last year) and almost every time I spend a couple hours in my back yard in? SE CT.? I come up with more wheats and/or silver. Ive been over the same ground at least 10 times and usually have some decent luck. So keep going over it...you can bet that theres more there. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

hunt4stuff

Greenie
Oct 12, 2004
Im over in Coventry so I'm on the edge of some real old farming properties and some good fishing and swimming holes. You might remember me, I just had a baby a year ago and I have a 3 year old who is -almost- ready to have fun with it but is bored easily. He goes to a daycare twice a week and if the baby is asleep in the car I'll go somewhere and just do around the car (dont worry only a few feet away from her) That's why I wondered about my yard if I can coordinate nap times it'd be SO great!
I'm glad you said it'd be worth it and now I can't wait till naptime today!
Treasurekid, are you near Scituate and have you seen the Bald Eagle babies on the reservoir yet?

F

Floater

Well Hunt4stuff, I have hunted this site for 2 + hours everyday for a week and a half and have still found wheats and memorials every day. I dont think any area is ever hunted out. JMTC

Attachments

• site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 322
  • site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 269

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
If it turns up some good finds i return many times untill i think its time to move on.Ground conditions and machine settings makes return trips needed.HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Never assume an area is hunted out. You can go to a competition hunt and have 100-200 people cover a small area and by the time the hunt is over, there's still tokens that weren't found. Sometimes it may be 2-3 years before token turns up with the area being rehunted every year. Does that help? HH and best of luck.

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunt4stuff,

Lots of good advice here. You may always hear that a site never gets totally hunted out. This is true but then again the finds naturally do get less and less.

I found that there are more possible sites out there to hit and so little time in the day. If a site has produced silver and wheats in the past when coinhunting, I would definately hit it again, especially say if the ground is wet after a rain or some landscaping has been done that would open up areas that I didn't have a chance to swing my machine over.

Private homesites are great producers of good old coins, especially when you have a house that may be 100 years old or so on it. I would spend anywhere from 20-30 hours worth of time on a 1/4 acre site just to see what types of hits I get. There is something to be said about hunting in different times of day like early morning and late afternoon. This can have both environmental and psychological impact on your hunting, whether it is the mineralogy of the ground or shadows cast at certain hours of the days that makes you "look" at other areas on the property.

So how many times do you cover the same ground? As many as you can spare until that virgin field across the way finally calls you over when you are swinging looking for that last merc that has gotta be here somewhere.....

Arch

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Suggestion.....Try hunting in differnt directions. If you MD from the north to south, then MD from the east to west or visa versa. This way if you missed any targets in the first direction then you could possible find new targets in the second direction. This method works for me and have found new coins that I previous missed. Good luck and good Detecting

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Take it slow and easy, about 1-2 sec. per swing. Pretend your coil is about 1/2 the size that you are using. After you cover your property from N to S, then go E to W. Remember you have no time limit on your yard so it's best not to try and rush it.
Dang 49er I thought the same thing.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I hit a lot of sites, or a particular area of a site, quite a few times if it's still producing coins...
There is a little spot I found last week, I call the Indian Graveyard...I have been over this area 4 times ( Hard ), the 4th being today, and still pullling IH's out of it. The one I found today is an 1893, or an 1883, still letting it soak... Each time I go back, I dig more and more iffy'er signals until I think there's nothing left but junk...
If your back yard is anything like mine,,, I would just dig down to about 2 feet deep and sift threw it...
I think I'm going to try a little of it in my yard, before planting some new grass. there is so much trash, you just couldn't dig it all in a thousand years... The house I live in was built in 1912, so with it being so old, I think there's a good chance of finding some goodies to make it worth the wild...

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev, LOTS of great places to hunt up in Coventry. I am from Warwick, but I do get out your way to hunt now and then. I spent a couple of hours on the little beach at Carbuncle pond last weekend, and just yesterday, my buddy and I hit the old Ramtail Mill site up in Foster. Coventry has loads of places to hunt - fishing and swimming holes around Johnsons Pond, Lake Tiouge or Carbuncle Pond, also Coventry Central Park (I think it's called that) used to be an old Army missle site back in the 40s-60s, should be some silver in there, too. Also, do you have lots of old stone walls in your area? My buddy and I searched some on his property in Killingly, CT and hit an old trash dump right along the wall that produced some nice old milk and medicine bottles! Anyway, good luck and get out there at nap time and hunt that yard!!!!

OP
OP
H

hunt4stuff

Greenie
Oct 12, 2004
Jeez! You got to go to Ramtail???? I've been dying to go check it out!! Ramtail rd is on both sides of Rte 6 though so I'm not sure where it is. I go to Marty's once in a while - is it on the same side? I grew up on Tiogue and then later Johnson's Pond! I think you were up at the Nike Base on Read School House Rd. It's deserted now.
I think in the beginning of the season it will be my yard and playgrounds so my son has a place to run around. I like the string idea, I think that would work well for me!
I know my detector is a bit cheesy, but why is it that even slowly I'll go over a spot hear a tone, then never hear it again? Even doing a cross like motion, I still can't find it! My camera just broke and I had to buy another so I can't upgrade my detector for a little while, then I may look for a used one.

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
I have a rinky dink Radio Shack metal detector that does just fine for an amateur like me

I think you will do better with something like the ace or better machine.Once you get a better machine you will want to redetect the sites you've been over with the Radio shack model.I'm not trying to be critical of you its just that there is a world of difference between the Radio shack and better models.

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey yall...I live in Arkansas and I go over my yard about 5 times a year just to make sure that I got everything there is in my yard...sometimes I find some coins or marbles....I have an Alaskan Malamute that likes to dig holes to lie in and she is always digging up something...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread