Dig those Crappy signals or risk loosing the good stuff! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Dig those Crappy signals or risk loosing the good stuff!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2019
    Central Texas
    Minelab Etrac Minelab Equinox
    410 times
    Metal Detecting
    May I pile on?... you should wear spectacles and dig anything that MOVESSSSSS!
    Just teasing. Awesome find. Barber halves are rare for anyone and certainly not expected! Thanks for sharing a great pic of an awesome coin fresh from the dirt.
    smokeythecat and Ammoman like this.

ca
    Nov 2010
    Canada
    XP Deus, ATPro
    6952 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    I don't think this one is worth more than a few bucks over melt because of the condition. That said, My 1896 -O is in Fine to very fine condition making it worth a few dollars for sure!
    If it graded AG3, that's a $70 coin. At any rate that's a great coin to dig up. I dug the same coin in a spill years ago, and I lucked out with it being in really nice condition.

I agree about digging crappy signals...DIG IT ALL!
    smokeythecat and Ammoman like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    15385 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I hunt in all metal and try and dig it all - Ive been in hobby since 1975 and can tell you a ton of stories on land and in the water where guys cherry picked
    signals trying to go for only the good stuff and they passed up goodies that went off bad or weird and they dismissed
    Ive gotten many white god rings that guys said went off as pulltabs on their machines and they passed up - I went to a farm field with a group of guys
    where we parked - everyone and their brother parked and it was a popular drinking spot - you could see whole cans and and slaw all over at the fields edge
    this spot goes back to the 1600s and the guys i was with - had been hitting here for 3-4 yrs sucessfully - it was my first time - when we took a break
    for lunch - i was swinging around our vehicles and getting 3-5 blast with each swing - all kinds of aluminum. I commented that there had to be
    some good stuff in there under all the garbage - i was in all metal but would click over on certain targets to check. I got a hit and it said silver dollar on my screen
    The guys laughed and said you got a can ...i told them the cans were reading off lower than that and decided to dig - we were all shocked when I pulled out a
    silver spoon from the 1800s...when i got home and weighed it - it came in about the same weight as a silver dollar - those guys had walked over that spot for yrs
    guys have passed up small cut coins trying to detect "by the numbers" and have passed up broken gold cause it didnt go off right
    cant tell you how much gold & silver ive gotten with iron in the same hole
    - I like to leave an area thinking i pulled out everything I could - at least everything i went over
    AARC, Ammoman and SD51 like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Don

Feb 2016
    Missouri
    macro racer 2, whites mx5, trx pinpointer
    928 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congrats on the Barber half. Don't usually dig 60s? On my 2 Whites machines those are good numbers, I dug a .925 ladies cateye silver ring 3 weeks ago at a steady 66 from 2 directions 90 degrees apart. From the 40s to 91 (silver dollar) I dig.

I don't know about your nokta but maybe I see your point as I also have a racer 2 but I dig all 60s vdi on it.

Congrats again ,Barber half is still on my list.
    Ammoman and SD51 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Patriot

Apr 2016
    Georgia
    CTX 3030 Nox 800 Stealth 720i ,RTG 6" Lesche GS 36 Predator Raptor TRX pp
    6415 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Man I like that Barber half, worn or not a very nice dig. Your pile of trash looks like what I end up dumping out my pouch. Congrats to ya and GL out there.
    USMC 67-70/ VN 69-70

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    3320 times
    Congrats on not only a great find but a great catch because that would have been a shame to throw away!

Stumbles In Corn ..........(Thanks Treblehunter!)

Apr 2012
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Garrett AT-PRO, Garrett Groundhog, Pro-Pointer, Jack Hammer!
    16397 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Oh, I wouldn't be too quick to admonish about it being a "washer".

One that I dug once I commented, "Just another aluminum knock out."

Until I looked a lil closer.
    Turned out to be one of my best finds ever! An 1812 Half Dollar in actually great condition!

Nice!

By the by...any chance it's counterfeit?
    Ammoman likes this.
    "A good day has no rain. A bad day; is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been." -Paul Simon

If you need to fill some time: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ent-hobby.html

Aug 2017
    SW MO
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
    1323 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm the worst cherry picker around. I pass all kinds of iffy signals after a few end up being trash. I fight it everytime I go out. I know I'm missing stuff but I like to cover a lot of ground.

To each their own
    Ammoman likes this.

us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    11360 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!! I keep a pair of readers close by, if not in My pocket
    What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

Congrats on the semi key date Barber. Good thing you didn't throw it away, thinking it was a washer.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    31123 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Dang sweet find now you need to washer and get her clean that's a great day in my book

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    51280 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    I hunt in all metal and try and dig it all - Ive been in hobby since 1975 and can tell you a ton of stories on land and in the water where guys cherry picked
    signals trying to go for only the good stuff and they passed up goodies that went off bad or weird and they dismissed
    Ive gotten many white god rings that guys said went off as pulltabs on their machines and they passed up - I went to a farm field with a group of guys
    where we parked - everyone and their brother parked and it was a popular drinking spot - you could see whole cans and and slaw all over at the fields edge
    this spot goes back to the 1600s and the guys i was with - had been hitting here for 3-4 yrs sucessfully - it was my first time - when we took a break
    for lunch - i was swinging around our vehicles and getting 3-5 blast with each swing - all kinds of aluminum. I commented that there had to be
    some good stuff in there under all the garbage - i was in all metal but would click over on certain targets to check. I got a hit and it said silver dollar on my screen
    The guys laughed and said you got a can ...i told them the cans were reading off lower than that and decided to dig - we were all shocked when I pulled out a
    silver spoon from the 1800s...when i got home and weighed it - it came in about the same weight as a silver dollar - those guys had walked over that spot for yrs
    guys have passed up small cut coins trying to detect "by the numbers" and have passed up broken gold cause it didnt go off right
    cant tell you how much gold & silver ive gotten with iron in the same hole
    - I like to leave an area thinking i pulled out everything I could - at least everything i went over
    Ditto.

Even though I do not run detectors with "numbers".

I will say... there is no detector on the market that "knows it all" simply by passing over an item.

In my case... When using only sound to dictate what my coil is passing over I can and am fooled just about every time with an item that has hit in at something I think I know... then turns out to be right OR wrong.

Personally I think there really is no "shortcut" to some items.

All metal... pinpoint... Full strength.... full steam ahead... whatever...

Dig it all.

PS...

I ill take depth... strength and power over "capabilities"... any day.

I like my tools raw and tough.
    Last edited by AARC; Nov 08, 2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac Xp Deus Ctx 3030 Whites Dfx
    1554 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice Barber congrats.

Yes the deeper they get and with iron etc in the ground you can find some great stuff coming in at a wisper or crackle.

Pulled a sheied nickle last hunt reading like that. Small silver will come in like that at times also.

Jer
    A2coins, SD51 and Ammoman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    4617 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    Congrats on the semi key date Barber. Good thing you didn't throw it away, thinking it was a washer.
    Lol The coin would not have got by me when sorting my trash. I always look close at my trash. My only regret is assuming it was a washer and tossing it in my bag allowing all the trash to pile on top of it. I noticed a gouge on the back that likely came from a heavy piece of iron. Or maybe I hit it with my digger.
    A2coins and SD51 like this.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member
    us
    bolle

Sep 2014
    W. Nevada / N. CA
    XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
    2949 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Spot on! We rarely look at the ID numbers anymore.....if it beeps......it gets dug!!!! Nice job on the oldies!
    A2coins, AARC, SD51 and 1 others like this.
    I's this was a full-time job; I would always want to go to work!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links