Pics of Toasted Shield Nickel, can you see the date?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably no chance of that but who knows. soaked in lemon juice over night, still looks awful. quite possibly my oldest coin but who knows for sure. I have found an 1876 IHP and even though it is so toasted, it is an awesome coin in my eyes. A bucket lister for sure but didn't think that I would find one at this site. it still blows me away at what we manage to find in the ground. Thanks for looking even if there is no chance in the world of dating it, kinda know a tiny bit how you guys feel when you find those Largies back east that are too toasted to ID very well if at all

Attachments

• 20191116_112030.jpg
    20191116_112030.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191116_112053.jpg
    20191116_112053.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 7

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t found a lot of those but, when I have they were shot out as well. Every one of them I pulled from a farm field and I blame the fertilizer for its poor condition.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably no chance of that but who knows. soaked in lemon juice over night, still looks awful. quite possibly my oldest coin but who knows for sure. I have found an 1876 IHP and even though it is so toasted, it is an awesome coin in my eyes. A bucket lister for sure but didn't think that I would find one at this site. it still blows me away at what we manage to find in the ground. Thanks for looking even if there is no chance in the world of dating it, kinda know a tiny bit how you guys feel when you find those Largies back east that are too toasted to ID very well if at all

I have used the vinegar and peroxide method to help bring out dates on buffalo nickels and it works pretty well. It may work on your shield nickel. You have nothing to lose with the condition of your nickel. You can do a google search for cleaning nickels with vinegar and peroxide to get the method to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions