🥇 BANNER !!! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling !!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost had a heart attack today when I dug an odd square shaped piece of metal. Looked closer and saw 1652:hello2: and about collapsed. It looks clipped but its near full weight at 4.4 grams. Were these clipped like this at the mint sometimes? I havent done a thing to it other than rinse it off with fresh water. Scared to do anything to it really as it looks to have great details underneath. EDIT: I did q-tip some of the flakyness off on the obverse but Im not going any farther for now

Attachments

• 4A3F49E8-E132-41EE-BA1C-4EBC3E213704.jpeg
    4A3F49E8-E132-41EE-BA1C-4EBC3E213704.jpeg
    811.9 KB · Views: 5,181
  • 975ECF45-99F2-4EFC-B6C9-F75E7D7B7E66.jpeg
    975ECF45-99F2-4EFC-B6C9-F75E7D7B7E66.jpeg
    557.8 KB · Views: 4,622
  • FBAB4C33-19E7-4C1E-98D6-8E94AF1C2196.jpeg
    FBAB4C33-19E7-4C1E-98D6-8E94AF1C2196.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,286
Last edited:
Upvote 155

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a once in a lifetime find!!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding coin ! Would nominate you for banner, but you already have it.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! That is certainly a Find of a Lifetime and in beautiful condition! :occasion14:

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep. Looks like the Noe 1 variety that I have is known for the sort of clipping you seen on mine. Mine also appears to have no die breaks so an early die state coin as well as no obvious planchet flaws. Without the environmental damage it could have possibly been a five figure coin

I don't recommend it but an Oak Tree Three Pence was found in England a couple of years ago and the finder sent it to NGC for conservation (that's what the grading companies call it when THEY clean a coin). That coin was conserved by NGC and given an actual grade. It was not given a details grade. The reason I don't recommend it is because I have heard and seen a few horror stories from the "conservation" done to coins at the grading services. I thought it was interesting because if you clean it then the grading service will only give you a details grade and mark the holder as cleaned. If the grading company "conserves" the coin then you might get an actual grade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't recommend it but an Oak Tree Three Pence was found in England a couple of years ago and the finder sent it to NGC for conservation (that's what the grading companies call it when THEY clean a coin). That coin was conserved by NGC and given an actual grade. It was not given a details grade. The reason I don't recommend it is because I have heard and seen a few horror stories from the "conservation" done to coins at the grading services. I thought it was interesting because if you clean it then the grading service will only give you a details grade and mark the holder as cleaned. If the grading company "conserves" the coin then you might get an actual grade.

Thanks. I doubt Ill send it away. MASATHVSETS, the tree and date stand out pretty well now and the rest just gives it more character:laughing7:. No guarantee I would be happy with the results if cleaned any further

Last edited:

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I doubt Ill send it away. MASATHVSETS, the tree and date stand out pretty well now and the rest just gives it more character:laughing7:. No guarantee I would be happy with the results if cleaned any further

I didn't clean mine either. It still has dirt on it from the day I found it. If my kids sell it after I'm gone then they can have it "conserved" by NGC or PCGS.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer find, congrats! :notworthy:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig! Congrats!

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Wow, insane find. That's my number one bucketlister and where I'm from to boot. I figured many of these didn't make it out of MA down to MD.
Congrats!

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PGS Certification is in someones future. Wow! This is amazing

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a little more work on it. Very happy with the results:) :)

Attachments

• B2AFFF1B-9FCE-4181-B71F-E84FDEC99415.jpeg
    B2AFFF1B-9FCE-4181-B71F-E84FDEC99415.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the banner party. Congrats for finding such a worthy specimen and for the care you took to carefully clean it.

I have no idea how these are graded. I've seen high grade examples, even AU, with less detail, especially in the tree, than your coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late to the banner party. Congrats for finding such a worthy specimen and for the care you took to carefully clean it.

I have no idea how these are graded. I've seen high grade examples, even AU, with less detail, especially in the tree, than your coin.

Im not so sure most would agree with me even attempting to clean it but as the centerpiece of my collection, what good is a tree coin if the tree does not stand out. The obverse was not apealing to me with the flaking patina. Im sure its got value as it has great detail but with environmental damage, its anybody’s guess how much

Last edited:

oyat

May 8, 2016
kuala batoeh
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
xterra 705, nox 800 , nox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you found what usa detectorist wish bucket list

congrats sir

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious. Ive seen the sixpence youve found but do you have any information about any other complete tree coins found outside of New England. I dont think one has ever been posted on here at least for whatever thats worth

Toasted - A thousand apologies for not offering my compliments on your recovery of a Pine Tree shilling. I've been dealing with this medical condition - every time I look at this post and other great finds on T-Net, my jaw drops to the floor. Your banner is well-deserved. The recovery of Mass Silver outside of New England is impressive and says a lot for your ability in locating very productive sites from the early Colonial Period. You've had an epic year of finds - Mass Silver, cobs, a gold coin - you've been on a roll and good for you! I know of detectorists who have spent years searching here in New England for Mass Silver and their still waiting, searching, hoping. There's GW Digger's coin, as you mentioned. I know of only one other complete Mass Silver coin found in the US outside New England but not far outside New England. It's likely the most valuable coin find in the US by a detectorist. It was a New England six-pence coin. I believe it was sold at auction several years back for $500,000+.

Congrats on your Mass Silver coin recovery. Well done! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread