Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't seem to ever get on an old "vein" anymore. Even when I go to a place that's old, never been hunted, ripe with potential! What do I find? Clad.

Once in a moon...maybe a Wheatie. :BangHead:

1119192025~2.jpg

Not really complaining, at least I *do* find. :dontknow:

1119192026~2.jpg
1119192026b~2.jpg

That's actually 2 whole wheat toasts.
But, the one on the left, gave the weirdest signal!
I usually try to call my shots on every plug. This one? I just couldn't figure because it had a strange circumstance.

1119192027~2.jpg

This was the "reverse"!

1119192027a~2.jpg
Interesting marriage, dontcha think? :tongue3:

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 22

MSpeiser

Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all in the research.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research all you like, sometimes things simply don't add up. Old site that has been disturbed or had groundwork done will remove a lot of older items if they were ever there.
And like the original poster, I too have the same problems a lot. Old place with history and come out with clad and modern junk instead.
Then you may say- "the older finds are deeper". If that is the case then they must be down past 12 inches in the property I detected a couple days ago. In that case I will NOT be able to get at them.
Not a lot of detectors can detect down past 10" much less more than a foot on coin sized objects.

Personally, wish the original poster the best of luck and getting better finds in the future. Believe me! I feel your pain!

MSpeiser

Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research all you like, sometimes things simply don't add up. Old site that has been disturbed or had groundwork done will remove a lot of older items if they were ever there.
And like the original poster, I too have the same problems a lot. Old place with history and come out with clad and modern junk instead.
Then you may say- "the older finds are deeper". If that is the case then they must be down past 12 inches in the property I detected a couple days ago. In that case I will NOT be able to get at them.
Not a lot of detectors can detect down past 10" much less more than a foot on coin sized objects.

Personally, wish the original poster the best of luck and getting better finds in the future. Believe me! I feel your pain!
Well I do mostly field hunting and I'm on sites usually gone by 1900 or so. Can't really say I find clad in those sites.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary, you said it: At least you find. When I do get a permission on a promising old place I have been watching for years, it turns out to be a dud! You're doing what you love and that's what really matters.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fine job, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen just like your hunt .That hunt was at an old log cabin,and what did I dig?Lots of clad quarters and toy cars. YEP .

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Speaking of researching, be very careful with that 1942 Wheatie: at least the rim has been doubled; possibly more.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
My last 2 hunts produced nothing, no clad, no interesting things, nothing but trash. I tend to mainly go to places that have had hundreds of years of human activity but sometimes you just don’t get the coil over the goodies.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beach hunting is the same. Different areas produce different finds. Sometimes I have mostly quarters then I’ll get a run on tent stakes. Then once in a while I’ll swing the coil over a good find. But as they say, miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile.
When we’re on the hunt we are swinging over millions of square inches to find the goods. That’s quite a lot miles to find something worth keeping.
Although, if it’s not there obviously you won’t find it. Best of luck on the next hunt!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... I know somebody's gotta lose it. Or metal detecting would be one of the most boring hobbies.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's me also my friend what keeps me going is what zi might find every here and there a gold ring or silver spill every dog needs a bone though I think my last 10 hunts were goose eggs the big 0 be patient I enjoy just getting out the exercise being in the zone and ya gotta be optamistuc you'll get some goodies just mathematical certaintity

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of researching, be very careful with that 1942 Wheatie: at least the rim has been doubled; possibly more.

Thanks! I will! I figure it might be worth as much 6 cents!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last 2 hunts produced nothing, no clad, no interesting things, nothing but trash. I tend to mainly go to places that have had hundreds of years of human activity but sometimes you just don’t get the coil over the goodies.

Oh I realize all that too. But, what I refer to is how I've done so much clad hopping that I think I'm losing my ability to discern those deeper, older signals. :dontknow:

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh I realize all that too. But, what I refer to is how I've done so much clad hopping that I think I'm losing my ability to discern those deeper, older signals. :dontknow:

Any time you get out to detect, whether you find goods or not that is experience. Experience in the field will always benefit you. Hang in there, don't doubt your abilities. I hope you find some new permissions to hunt and find a bucket full of nice things!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread