WW-I aluminum dog tags found--QUESTION PLEASE!!!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I don't have pics handy, but I found 2 identical WW-I dog tags in a drained millpond near Garner, NC years ago. The military unit is X'd out, but the name, D. Barbour and number 1346488 are clearly visible. Does anyone have a clue as to how to find out who this person was so that I can track down the relatives. I would think that with the name and service number, somewhere there is a record of this person! I have tried numerous times to find out who this was but have come to dead end roads. Thanks for any help! Bryan

Upvote 0

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
comisoas said:
Unfortunately I don't have pics handy, but I found 2 identical WW-I dog tags in a drained millpond near Garner, NC years ago.  The military unit is X'd out, but the name, D. Barbour and number 1346488 are clearly visible.  Does anyone have a clue as to how to find out who this person was so that I can track down the relatives.  I would think that with the name and service number, somewhere there is a record of this person!  I have tried numerous times to find out who this was but have come to dead end roads.  Thanks for any help!  Bryan

For D. Barbour on the WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 I find the following:
David Daniel Barbour, B: 22 Dec 1872, White, #1 Benson, Johnston Co, NC (mate: Matta?) Draft Card 1918, Farmer
David Daniel Barbour, B: 2 Oct 1881 North Carolina, White, Rt 1, Benson, Johnston Co, NC (wife, 3 kids) Draft Card 1917, Farmer
David Henry Barbour, B: 2 Sep 1891 North Carolina, White, Four Oaks, NC Rt 4, Johnston Co, NC (wife and child) Draft Card 1917, Farmer
David Vasco Barbour, B: 1 Nov 1881, White, RFD 4 Oaks, Johnston Co, NC (Mate: Minnie) Draft Card 1918, Farmer, A part of right foot cut off on plowing machine

Best I can come up with with what information is available...hope its a start for you...great find!

I assume that to be his service number...you can contact Military Records in St Louis and see if they can give you a match for this service member. Forewarn, not many service records remain due to a fire the records center had, as I tried to get my grandfather's (US ARMY WWI) records and they are GONE FOREVER :(:(.

Good Luck!
Annmarie

Attachments

• barbour 1a.jpg
    barbour 1a.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 858
OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information, I will try to follow up on it and see if it takes me anywhere, Bryan It sure seems like it should be as easy and # + name = info, but like you said, perhaps his records were lost in the fire. Thank you

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work annemarie Felinepeachy and i returned two WW2 dog tags its a lot of work finding relatives.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to get pics on soon, I am at work until tomorrow morning, Bryan

Earl1

Greenie
Jun 4, 2006
Bryan,

The block of serial numbers allotted to Camp Wheeler, Georgia is 1,340,001 thru 1,375,000.
This leaves me to believe that your soldier went thru boot camp there. In France the men were instructed to X out all Military Unit information from there tags before going into battle.

Earl

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Earl, how did you find out the number/base correlation? That is good stuff, thanks, Bryan

Earl1

Greenie
Jun 4, 2006
There is a book named "Dog Tags" A History of the American Military Identification Tag written by Paul F. Braddock.

I dug a WW1 tag about twenty years ago while looking for Civil War relics in Georgia. I have about 1500 tags from before WW1 to today. I find them fascinating. I was able to return one tag to a Japanese American veteran in Hawaii about four years ago. He had lost it in Mississippi in 1943. Also was able to return another tag to a WW2 veterans family in Illinois. The veteran had died in Italy about two weeks before the war was over and is buried in Arlington National Cemetary. They were happy to get that tag. All togeather a great hobby.

Earl

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
comisoas said:
Unfortunately I don't have pics handy, but I found 2 identical WW-I dog tags in a drained millpond near Garner, NC years ago. The military unit is X'd out, but the name, D. Barbour and number 1346488 are clearly visible. Does anyone have a clue as to how to find out who this person was so that I can track down the relatives. I would think that with the name and service number, somewhere there is a record of this person! I have tried numerous times to find out who this was but have come to dead end roads. Thanks for any help! Bryan

Posting these for Bryan:

Attachments

• WW-I dog tags 2a.jpg
    WW-I dog tags 2a.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 411
  • WW-I dog tag backs 2a.jpg
    WW-I dog tag backs 2a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 429

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Other places to try to find out which guy this was. If he survived the war he may have gotten a pension until he died, or possibly a spouse. If St Louis doesn't have his records, try the closest VA to where you found the tags. Also, try the US census near where you found the tags...these sources should be able to help greatly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread