WW-I aluminum dog tags found--QUESTION PLEASE!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
    190 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

WW-I aluminum dog tags found--QUESTION PLEASE!!!

Unfortunately I don't have pics handy, but I found 2 identical WW-I dog tags in a drained millpond near Garner, NC years ago. The military unit is X'd out, but the name, D. Barbour and number 1346488 are clearly visible. Does anyone have a clue as to how to find out who this person was so that I can track down the relatives. I would think that with the name and service number, somewhere there is a record of this person! I have tried numerous times to find out who this was but have come to dead end roads. Thanks for any help! Bryan

us
    Annmarie, better half of RonandAnn ;)

Jun 2006
    Virginia Beach
    Garrett Ace 250
    43 times

Re: WW-I aluminum dog tags found--QUESTION PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by comisoas
    Unfortunately I don't have pics handy, but I found 2 identical WW-I dog tags in a drained millpond near Garner, NC years ago.  The military unit is X'd out, but the name, D. Barbour and number 1346488 are clearly visible.  Does anyone have a clue as to how to find out who this person was so that I can track down the relatives.  I would think that with the name and service number, somewhere there is a record of this person!  I have tried numerous times to find out who this was but have come to dead end roads.  Thanks for any help!  Bryan
    For D. Barbour on the WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 I find the following:
    David Daniel Barbour, B: 22 Dec 1872, White, #1 Benson, Johnston Co, NC (mate: Matta?) Draft Card 1918, Farmer
    David Daniel Barbour, B: 2 Oct 1881 North Carolina, White, Rt 1, Benson, Johnston Co, NC (wife, 3 kids) Draft Card 1917, Farmer
    David Henry Barbour, B: 2 Sep 1891 North Carolina, White, Four Oaks, NC Rt 4, Johnston Co, NC (wife and child) Draft Card 1917, Farmer
    David Vasco Barbour, B: 1 Nov 1881, White, RFD 4 Oaks, Johnston Co, NC (Mate: Minnie) Draft Card 1918, Farmer, A part of right foot cut off on plowing machine

Best I can come up with with what information is available...hope its a start for you...great find!

I assume that to be his service number...you can contact Military Records in St Louis and see if they can give you a match for this service member. Forewarn, not many service records remain due to a fire the records center had, as I tried to get my grandfather's (US ARMY WWI) records and they are GONE FOREVER .

Good Luck!
    Annmarie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barbour 1a.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	162750  
    Illustrator Draftsman Second Class, Enlisted Surface Warfare, U.S. Navy (Retired), Mom of 3, Troop 65 Committee Member, Genealogist 35+ yrs

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thank you for the information, I will try to follow up on it and see if it takes me anywhere, Bryan It sure seems like it should be as easy and # + name = info, but like you said, perhaps his records were lost in the fire. Thank you

us
    Pulltabs = Gold. Returned to owner 1946

Apr 2005
    Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    23 times

Try to get a photo of them. Would love to see them.

us
    Oct 2006
    2628 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Good work annemarie Felinepeachy and i returned two WW2 dog tags its a lot of work finding relatives.

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I will try to get pics on soon, I am at work until tomorrow morning, Bryan

Jun 2006

Bryan,

The block of serial numbers allotted to Camp Wheeler, Georgia is 1,340,001 thru 1,375,000.
    This leaves me to believe that your soldier went thru boot camp there. In France the men were instructed to X out all Military Unit information from there tags before going into battle.

Earl

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks for the info Earl, how did you find out the number/base correlation? That is good stuff, thanks, Bryan

Jun 2006

There is a book named "Dog Tags" A History of the American Military Identification Tag written by Paul F. Braddock.

I dug a WW1 tag about twenty years ago while looking for Civil War relics in Georgia. I have about 1500 tags from before WW1 to today. I find them fascinating. I was able to return one tag to a Japanese American veteran in Hawaii about four years ago. He had lost it in Mississippi in 1943. Also was able to return another tag to a WW2 veterans family in Illinois. The veteran had died in Italy about two weeks before the war was over and is buried in Arlington National Cemetary. They were happy to get that tag. All togeather a great hobby.

Earl

us
    Annmarie, better half of RonandAnn ;)

Jun 2006
    Virginia Beach
    Garrett Ace 250
    43 times

Quote Originally Posted by comisoas
    Unfortunately I don't have pics handy, but I found 2 identical WW-I dog tags in a drained millpond near Garner, NC years ago. The military unit is X'd out, but the name, D. Barbour and number 1346488 are clearly visible. Does anyone have a clue as to how to find out who this person was so that I can track down the relatives. I would think that with the name and service number, somewhere there is a record of this person! I have tried numerous times to find out who this was but have come to dead end roads. Thanks for any help! Bryan
    Posting these for Bryan:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW-I dog tags 2a.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	163196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW-I dog tag backs 2a.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	163197  
    Illustrator Draftsman Second Class, Enlisted Surface Warfare, U.S. Navy (Retired), Mom of 3, Troop 65 Committee Member, Genealogist 35+ yrs

us
    Pulltabs = Gold. Returned to owner 1946

Apr 2005
    Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    23 times

Thanks for getting the pic.

Thanks for playing. You lose.

Aug 2006
    smAlbany, NY
    DFX
    58 times

Other places to try to find out which guy this was. If he survived the war he may have gotten a pension until he died, or possibly a spouse. If St Louis doesn't have his records, try the closest VA to where you found the tags. Also, try the US census near where you found the tags...these sources should be able to help greatly.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Sep 2007
    Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
    190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks alot for the good information, Bryan

Aug 2007
    Payette Id.
    WHITE'S MXT
    1 times

you may also talk to the local VFW, they are always happy to help.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GRAVITY........
    THE EARTH JUST SUCKS!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links