Shoe buckle, Silver Colonial-Period Cufflink Piece, and More Motivation

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been far too much of a lurker on T-Net for a while and decided upon making a contribution albeit a bit later than preferable, so please understand that this is a catch-up post for finds from my last few hunts. My mid-year find of a twenty-cent piece made for a memorable and thankful year of detecting in 2019, although it was tough going in the late fall. A day-long hunt at the end of November resulted in a plain 1800s no-thrills button and a harmonica reed along with a wrenched middle finger from falling in the woods while seeking out a cellar hole. :tard: The pain in my finger only subsided when I arrived home and realized that I left my gear bag with my digital camera in the woods at my last detecting stop. :BangHead: I can report that I recovered the bag the following day, but the finger has still not healed; I have an appointment with a hand doctor next week.

The hand injury improved just enough to end 2019 on a hopeful note with a follow-up hunt at a cellar hole that produced the finds pictured below: a complete shoe buckle, a decorative dandy button, and a nice silver cufflink piece dating to the Colonial Period. Not pictured is an apparent medal of some sort far too corroded for any identification, some more buttons, musket ball, etc. It was a good day of detecting.

download 1-10-19 159.JPG

Here’s the shoe-buckle as dug. It came out of some thick brush only searchable in the winter.

download 1-10-19 150.JPG

I really like the hand-crafted designs on Colonial-Period silver. Note that the silversmith engraved the flower slightly off-center.

download 1-10-19 168.JPG

Two other recent finds from a farm field that keeps producing slow but sure. I found a complete 1600s spur buckle (unrelated Mercury Dime is only for scale); I was very happy with this find, as I don’t recover spur buckles all that often, especially intact. Plowing activity usually turns these finds into brass confetti. The other find is an apparent tombac button of some sort. It’s similar to the dome or nipple buttons associated with 17th century sites, but its profile is much thicker resulting in a more convex shape. I suspect that it’s one of the earliest English buttons that I’ve ever recovered.

download 1-10-19 178.JPG

download 1-10-19 180.JPG

download 1-10-19 182.JPG

download 1-10-19 183.JPG

Hope everyone gets out this weekend. Good Hunting!

Upvote 16

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cuff-link, not had that design yet!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some GREAT relics! Nice that you could find the complete buckle and not just the frame! Your cuff link looks similar to a brass one I found a few years ago at the beach after some dredging. Not as fancy as yours but flower is the same.
20200111_101304.jpg 20200111_101311.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that silver cufflink! The intact shoe buckle is very nice too.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a robust looking buckle! Very nice congrats on that thing!!!! Also that spur buckle looks like a stellar find as well. Hope the finger gets better I give you post two thumbs up!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3 superb finds in the top picture. Congrats! Post the dandy again if you clean it more. Maybe gilt in the depressions?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SIMPLY STELLAR!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread