Last night and today: 9 silvers and asked to leave by police???

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

Got out for an hour or two last night and got these: one War nickel, 6 wheats, and $0.69 in spendable clad:

20200112_190501.jpg

Got out today and was having a great hunt until right at the end of the day. Got 8 silvers including: 1 Washington, 2 mercury, 2 rosies, 2 war nickels and the nifty little Miraculous medal. Also got 11 wheats and $8.09 in spendable clad. Also found this ring. Rang up as a 9 on the Nox, but no hallmarks. Too silvery colored to be gold and to low on the Nox to be silver. Any help with what type of metal it might be would be appreciated.

20200112_190334.jpg
20200112_190259.jpg
20200112_120219.jpg

Right at the end of the day I had a police officer drive by slowly on the main road. I was right next to it, so I just nodded at him. He looped around the park then got out of his car and started heading over to me. Now I've been hunting this park about once a week for 2 months and haven't had any issues. Last year I checked at the little local jail and ask the cop if he thought it'd be a problem for me to search. He didn't seem to think it would be. Last month I asked a park maintenance guy if it was alright and again got the "go ahead". Anyways, the officer asked if I had permission and I told him who I'd spoken with before. He said that I needed permission from the commissioner and then asked me to leave, after getting a photo of my driver's license and truck plates, of course (no worries on either count with that). Anywho, just needed to get it off my chest, kind of shook me a bit since I thought I was in the clear. The city has no laws against detecting and I'm sure to refill my plugs and take out the trash, but jeeze.

Anyways, happy hunting out there and if anyone has ideas on the metal in my ring, please let me know.

Thanks for looking!
-NZ49er

Upvote 36

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting all uppity about a cop doing his job is never a good thing, wether or not he knows what he’s talking about or not. Ordinances in municipalities are myriad, and no officer can have them all memorized. Youthful exuberance about what you need or need not comply with when requested, is the the first ingredient in the recipe for crap pie...and the officer is rarely the one eating the first slice. Being respectful and complying with requests to vacate until you’ve spoken to the appropriate people at city hall will do everyone involved well. Being a know it all, especially when dealing with law enforcement, is always a time I like to sit back with some popcorn and watch. The know it alls and those who run their mouth about what they can and cannot do, are one of the reasons municipalities put no detecting ordinances in place...they just figure every detectorist is a jerk, and don’t want any part of dealing with that sort of attitude.

You have a choice how to handle every one of life's encounters. The outcome is predictable 99.99% of the time.

JMHO YMMV

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a police officer is not really a dangerous job for most, especially smaller municipality police. The Bureau of Labor lists police as #14 on the dangerous job list, most laborers and other workers have a much higher rate of death and injury than cops. It is also not a thankless job, most get pensions and other benefits that few other workers ever see. They are public servants and should not be public harassers, and some just think they are right whether or not they actually know the law and many are not well educated in the law.

NZ49, once more, metal detectors do NOT know what kind of metal is under the coil!! You cannot say a metal is this metal or that metal by running an item under your coil. I think you may be correct that the ring here is titanium, but no detector can tell you it is. Metal detectors basically just measure the conductivity of an item and make a calculated guess as to what it is made from. This is why large iron, large aluminum all ring up very high like silver, they merely are good conductors.

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the cop was just doing his job. No hard feelings towards him. Just made me super skittish. I complied with all requests, no questions asked and left when he asked me to. It's a small town and I'm not a local. That was one of the first things he asked me. So that is probably playing a part.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Being a police officer is not really a dangerous job for most, especially smaller municipality police. The Bureau of Labor lists police as #14 on the dangerous job list, most laborers and other workers have a much higher rate of death and injury than cops. It is also not a thankless job, most get pensions and other benefits that few other workers ever see. They are public servants and should not be public harassers, and some just think they are right whether or not they actually know the law and many are not well educated in the law.

NZ49, once more, metal detectors do NOT know what kind of metal is under the coil!! You cannot say a metal is this metal or that metal by running an item under your coil. I think you may be correct that the ring here is titanium, but no detector can tell you it is. Metal detectors basically just measure the conductivity of an item and make a calculated guess as to what it is made from. This is why large iron, large aluminum all ring up very high like silver, they merely are good conductors.

Just curious, gunsil...were you a police officer?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, the cop was just doing his job. No hard feelings towards him. Just made me super skittish. I complied with all requests, no questions asked and left when he asked me to. It's a small town and I'm not a local. That was one of the first things he asked me. So that is probably playing a part.

Being "local" should have nothing to do with it.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the officer's intentions. Could be he didn't know what the city ordinances were regarding the activity, you were on his beat, and he was protecting his arse..A call to the police department's shift sergeant about this interaction may prove beneficial to all.

Maybe, but he SHOULD know that it's not lawful for him to ask for ID or photo his plates unless the detectorist was suspected of committing a crime.
Screw him. Go back.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe, but he SHOULD know that it's not lawful for him to ask for ID or photo his plates unless the detectorist was suspected of committing a crime.
Screw him. Go back.

Sure it is lawful to do both .. police cars have tag readers that collect information on thousands of cars a day.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver! What a pisser even though you are well within your rights. I am a huge proponent of law enforcement but it really torques me when they feel the need to flex because they can.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure it is lawful to do both .. police cars have tag readers that collect information on thousands of cars a day.

Sorry, but you are wrong on this one and I will not keep coming back to this thread to attempt to prove it.
A police officer cannot demand your ID unless you are suspected of committing a crime or are about to commit a crime. End of story. Disagree to your hearts content.
This is not Nazi Germany.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I emailed the city attorney and asked if it was illegal to detect on public property, then printed his response that the were none

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul and quite a nice number of silvers! I'd be stoked. The best thing you could ever do is get permission and then hope that you get caught by the same cop!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, gunsil...were you a police officer?

Nope. Had a few good friends who were, one knifed his girlfriend to death, another got hurt working on his garage and went to work and faked an accident on the job so he retired with full medical benefits and pension. Another unjust burden on our local taxpayers. I have watched two off duty state troopers snort coke behind a local bar. The other guys I grew up with who got into LE did so for the easy job and great pensions. Some of them are good guys, some not just like elsewhere, but in general it is not a dangerous job. By the way, I went to school with the guys who got killed in the Nyack, NY Brinks robbery, it was a sad time, but these deaths could have been avoided by proper deployment of properly trained police to the scene. They should not have sent small town traffic cops to intercept domestic terrorists armed with assault rifles who had just murdered a Brinks guard. I have also been incredibly harassed and humiliated by some officers who abused their power and I happen to strongly dislike that. I do not dislike cops in general, I just often do not trust their motives.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, the ring looks like stainless to me. On the subject of whether or not the police had justification for asking for your I.D. and rousting you....you did what you should have done, regardless if the cop was right or not. I don't recommend asking bureaucrats for clarification or permission. Best to keep off their radar and personal bias. They might even cook up an ordinance just to address your questions, and it probably wouldn't be in your/our favor. Look up the rules for that plot of land yourself. If it's public, there will be written rules about it's use. If it's private, look in the tax rolls, get the owner's name, and contact them for permission. If I couldn't find any ordinance that prohibited detecting, I would return and continue detecting until someone else (or the same cop) told me not to. At that point, I would politely state that I have researched the rules and can't find any prohibition against detecting. Would you please tell me what ordinance I'm violating? At that point, you'll know what you're dealing with and will be able to make a decision as to how to proceed at that point.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice group of finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Don't let them keep you down! By the way, I love the little Goals/Bucket list section of your footer. Keep up the good work!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you ran into a real hero. I wouldn’t have given him an ID for nothing.

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the support folks. I move around a lot for work so that was actually going to be the last hunt for me at that park anyway. Just ended on a bad note. On the bright side, the next town is 10 years older than this one. Hope to hit a new spot or two this Sunday :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread