Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the weather was getting ready to go south, (actually...I should say North!), I figured I might be indoors for a while. Sooooo....I thought I'd just pick one big field and go at it for one more day. This time, a more detailed and normal hunt.

Is success just finding? Or does it hinge on old coins/relics/jewelry? So what if all I find is quarters? Does that disqualify something? If I'm not finding nickels, does that make it, somehow, less of a "skilled" hunt? If I'm digging so many holes I aerate the whole field, is that no good? Or if I only dig a couple things by using the discriminator I paid dearly for, is that cheating?

Well, I honestly don't know. I'm guessing that "success" is measured individually. On a person by person basis. It just depends on how one feels at the end of the walk.

And brothers/sisters? I still can't say!

Cuz....all I feel right now is......tired! :dontknow:

0116201817~2.jpg
0116201820~2.jpg
2020-01-16-18-22-41.jpg
0116201733a~2.jpg

And still, I believe that mason jar insert is the oldest thing I found today. :dontknow:

Thanks for the support!
And for peeking!

Night night! ZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

Upvote 26

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Success is coming home after a great time with that haul of coins and some glitter to top it off! Grats!!!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Success is having fun swinging your detector.

Any finds just make it better. Great finds is even sweeter.

I just enjoy swinging the coil and getting off in my own little world for a while.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Success to me is being able to get out to hunt, being able to get down to locate the signal and if I am lucky, being able to get back up. And finds are just extra success. If you are on top of the grass, have a warm house, good family, good friends, and enough money to keep beans on the table, I consider myself a success.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had plenty of hunts where I found nothing to write home about but it's also exercise and a way to get my mind off things. You have a banner find and I have none so I'd say you're definitely successful.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks! Wonderful feedback!

I feel I started this venture into the thought processes that go into this hobby. I really didn't intend to cause any hub bub.

All the opinions, thoughts I've read in my last two posts did something for me. It confirmed what I've felt all along and for all those years.

My take on the whole thing is summed up in my motto.

"I come out to do this just for the exercise. That way......I *ALWAYS* get what I came for!"

I do set myself a quota. Two bucks. But, the only thing that means to me is that I either met "quota" or....I didn't. :tongue3:

If I were to be bold enough to attempt a suggestion for a detector for anyone else. It would just be this....before you buy....*listen* to it! Don't worry about bells and whistles. Most detectors are the same. I know that some do better physically because they have more built in to them for which one pays dearly!!

I don't know how many times somebody has extolled their latest machine cuz they found something good where they used to always hunt.

When I ask them how deep was it, most of the time but not all, its under 6 inches! I defy someone to bury a half dollar down 6 inches and then think I can't find it. LOL!

But.....LISTEN to it! Then imagine having to walk for hours/days/weeks/years!!! Listening to that tone!!! If it is even a tiny bit harsh on your nerves....it *WILL* suck the pleasure right out!

I use what I use cuz its frequency is one I can listen to for very long periods of time!

The reason one starts finding again after buying the latest and greatest is because its NEW! You tend to *pay more attention to what its saying*! Not because of the electronics! LOL!

Thanks again folks!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only successful hunts are ones with 10+1800's coins, 5 silvers ect.

No, seriously. Like said before this hobby can ruin you if you overthink it! Over expectation is the main confidence killer. Some days you're in "the zone", others you just don't get your coil over it. There are so many variables to add up it's crazy!

Try taking a small break until you feel like you miss digging. That helps too

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another lovely walk, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I strictly hunt silver items, “success” is coming home with a silver item. It’s pretty simple for me. The people that hunt the Treasure Coast don’t find clad and consider that “success”. It has to be quantified in some way, or don’t worry about it. Just being able to go hunt is a certain measure of success also...which I can’t do right now so I’m presently feeling quite unsuccessful.:BangHead:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have posed an interesting question that has generated a lot of varying responses. I think you can boil them all down to a successful hunt is when you are satisfied with the results. Some days I hope for goodies and just score clad, but I can tell myself that’s good enough for today and be happy. Other days I go expecting to find mostly clad and find a marvelous old coin or a nice piece of gold like the earring you found in this hunt and go home really happy.

You have set your goal on exercise and are happy with that. So set your own standards and go out for what ever the reason, have fun, get your exercise, find whatever you consider treasure and live a long happy life. Keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread