Is Sherlock Holmes in the house?

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ?Maybe somebody can figure this out for me. Detected the park today that i had posted about a while back under;? ?" Mercs, wheats and policeman in park today"? ? ?Got several more wheats and a worn buffalo nickel. 36 i think. Will have to get someone with better eyes. OK heres the thing. The signal on the buffalo said 4 in.? I probed and felt it between 2 and 3 in., put my screw driver in above at an angle and pryed the soil up. There's the top of a? black plastic screw cap. Looks like for a whisky bottle maybe. Pulled the cap out and there sits the buffalo with a circle around it in the dirt from the cap. Are plastic screw caps that old? Or did the cap some how just catch up to the coin in the dirt? When i pulled the cap you could see the outline of a coin but not what kind. Maybe it's elementry, but could some body tell me what they were doing together.

Forgot Coin was at 4 in, the cap is about 1 in tall

Upvote 0

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Allways check your holes twice! Turn that decrim down to 2 or lower and dig everything!!!!!
The MD's w/ read outs just distract you, you gotta learn to listen and dig!
I've spent a lot of time cleaning my home town area's, then when I go back and hunt everything is new and fresh.
That's when you start finding lost gold and such, gotta keep your local stuff your own know what I mean?
Get rid of the trash and then you'll find cash

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't beleve Plastic Caps go Back as far As a Buffalo.

However there are Several Posabilities.

The Buffallo was Lost Recently,

The Cap was lost later & just happen to Come out the same hole.

The Ring on it was from something Else you Missed, I'v found Multi Coins in the Same holes & they do get rings from being against each other. I don't know about Plastic making a ring on a coin tho' unless it was tight against for a long time, but, as I said, Plastic Caps dont go back that far that I know of.

if the Ground was Disturbed in the Past the Plastic actually could have been Deeper then the Buffalo. Depth is a NON-ISSUE in my opinion

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
I agree with Jeff, some of the mysteries of coin depth could only be explained if you knew the everything that happens to the ground since the day the coin was dropped. There are a million possibilities of what might have occured. But in my opinion they are mostly theories. Dirt/soil containing the coin and cap may have been spread at the park 5 years ago, let's say. Or after a rainy three days a kid decided to push the cap into the mushy ground with a stick right over the coin dropped 60 years ago. Who knows?

Depth doesn't imply age. As a general rule, the older, the deeper, but I've seen 25% of my finds violate that general rule.

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ?Hi guys
? ? ? The circuler impression left from the cap was outside the coin in the soil. The buffalo was about 1/8 in? inside the opened end. The cap was vertical, as though the coin was in a shelter.? ? ?My detector was right, the buffalo was at 4in. What i had probed at 3 in, but didn't know at first was the top of the cap.
? ? ? It just seemed to me, that as far as i knew,? two different era's were together, that didn't belong together. As though placed.? It was one of those,? ?What the He..!? ? ?moments.
? ? ? It was such a curiosity, that i posted it, thinking that everybody might have a little fun theorizing how it got to be.? Cause i don't have a clue.? ? ?HH?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately an Intresting Find ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread