Dug My Oldest US Silver, 1830 Capped Bust Half Dime!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out on my first hunt of the year on New Years Day. I went to a place that I found a Confederate button at this past summer. The fields have been cut and I looked around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. I went back around where I found the CS button and dug a first for me with an 1859 Fatty Indian. It was so crusty that I had to use some aggressive cleaning methods to bring out the details. I am happy with how it turned out.

I went out again last night to a new spot that I got permission for this summer but haven't had an opportunity to check it out. I got there just before dark and I dug trash for an hour. I worked my way towards a few tress and got a nice signal. Hoping for a bullet I was surprised to see a tiny silver when I popped the plug. I did the please let it be a half dime as I was picking it up out of the hole. And with the light of my phone I could make out Lady Liberty and could see 1830. I was so excited to have just dug my oldest US silver! These tiny coins don't come up often for me. I called my wife to tell her what I had just found and to let her know why I would be out later than first thought. I got back to digging and dug a nice dropped bullet close to where I had just dug the half dime. I dug another dropped bullet and then a Merc before I left. Turned out to be a great quick after work hunt. When I got home and cleaned everything up, I could now see the bullets are a ring tail Sharps variant. These are .52 caliber Confederate Sharps from the Selma arsenal, another cool first for me. Very happy to be digging awesome coins and relics in this abnormally warm January.

4GxXHDC.jpg B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg

Upvote 36

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 1830 half dime the otherday myself. Wish it looked like yours though

Hobbs.

Dec 29, 2019
On the edge of the Great Basin.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Gold Bug II, ATX, GPX-5K, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out on my first hunt of the year on New Years Day. I went to a place that I found a Confederate button at this past summer. The fields have been cut and I looked around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. I went back around where I found the CS button and dug a first for me with an 1859 Fatty Indian. It was so crusty that I had to use some aggressive cleaning methods to bring out the details. I am happy with how it turned out.

I went out again last night to a new spot that I got permission for this summer but haven't had an opportunity to check it out. I got there just before dark and I dug trash for an hour. I worked my way towards a few tress and got a nice signal. Hoping for a bullet I was surprised to see a tiny silver when I popped the plug. I did the please let it be a half dime as I was picking it up out of the hole. And with the light of my phone I could make out Lady Liberty and could see 1830. I was so excited to have just dug my oldest US silver! These tiny coins don't come up often for me. I called my wife to tell her what I had just found and to let her know why I would be out later than first thought. I got back to digging and dug a nice dropped bullet close to where I had just dug the half dime. I dug another dropped bullet and then a Merc before I left. Turned out to be a great quick after work hunt. When I got home and cleaned everything up, I could now see the bullets are a ring tail Sharps variant. These are .52 caliber Confederate Sharps from the Selma arsenal, another cool first for me. Very happy to be digging awesome coins and relics in this abnormally warm January.

View attachment 1791374 View attachment 1791377

View attachment 1791378 View attachment 1791379

View attachment 1791380 View attachment 1791381

View attachment 1791382

That 1830 is waaay cool! Good for you! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome Im still looking for one. Trees are good spots for coins people sit under them I look for trees that may have been planted long ago like 1 or 2 that dont fit in with the others that could have been in the yard of a home at some time. Great job My wife likes it when Im out of the house

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all the great finds! I just nabbed an 1829 a couple of weeks back and I think that's 4 either 29 or 30 posted in just a few weeks- Awesome job!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man, that is a nice half dime. Definitely near the top of my bucket list. Those other finds are great too. Congrats on a dream hunt.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your half dime... It is a, LM-3, Rarity 2.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1830 half dime the otherday myself. Wish it looked like yours though

Yeah I saw that, congrats again! The first one I dug was slick and yours looks way better. The 2nd one I dug was a beauty. So I bet the next one you get will be a looker. Either way they're so cool to dig in any condition.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome Im still looking for one. Trees are good spots for coins people sit under them I look for trees that may have been planted long ago like 1 or 2 that dont fit in with the others that could have been in the yard of a home at some time. Great job My wife likes it when Im out of the house

Thanks man! Yeah tress have been good luck for me as well and my wife will kick me out to detect on occasion.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all the great finds! I just nabbed an 1829 a couple of weeks back and I think that's 4 either 29 or 30 posted in just a few weeks- Awesome job!

Thanks Jeff and congrats on your 29! First year they minted those!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, that is a nice half dime. Definitely near the top of my bucket list. Those other finds are great too. Congrats on a dream hunt.

Thanks! I hope you can cross one off your list soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread