I Got The Law Called On Me Today

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No big deal, because I had permission to detect the yard. The neighbor across the street called them on me. I noticed that two patrol cars pulled up and talked with one another for a few minutes then one of the patrol cars left. Apparently, there was something else going on in the neighborhood as well because there were numerous police cars driving by that were marked and unmarked.

Anyway, the patrol officer got out of her car walked over and knocked on the door of the house across the street and spoke with the owner before coming over to speak with me. The officer asked me if I had permission to be digging in the yard. I said yes that I had met the owner of the home at a nearby park and she invited me to detect her yard.

Satisfied with my response the officer walked across the street to tell the owner of the home that everything was OK. Halfway there, I yelled out, ask them if it would be OK for me to detect their yard. Well, the officer didn't but she did say that he was a nice guy and for me to ask. I asked and he gave the OK for me to detect his yard, but warned me that he had already detected it and found nothing but a bunch of nails and other trash. Then I opened my BIG mouth and said that's great because I love a challenge and I told him that I would find all kinds of treasure in his yard. He said on second thought that I couldn't detect his yard because he wanted to give it another try.

Back the permission across the street that I've been detecting for two days. I found 38 wheat pennies, 6 Indian Head pennies, a 1916 Canadian Large One Penny, a Buffalo nickel and 3 toasted V or Sheild nickels. I knew that there had to be silver there, but I found 95% of the coins listed above before I found my first silver coins, a 1964 Rosie and a 1924 Mercury dime.

I ended up using 4 different detectors on the small front and side yard that was around 1000 square feet in size. The last detector that I'm going to use on the front yard will be one of my Tesoros. Then I'm going to start detecting the back-yard starting out with my CTX 3030 before using other detectors.

The best thing about this permission is that there is very little trash except for nails! I'm surprised that I haven't found some old big silver coins or some gold jewelry. I'm digging it all at this 1906 stately home. Oh yeah, I forgot, I found a large cent a week or so ago at another site.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    703.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    634 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 26

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
nosy busy body neighbors. always tryin to ruin our fun. prolly thought u were diggin for bombs or somethin. DOH !

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hes was just mad because he didn't ask his neighbor :)
When he said he wanted to give it another try You should have told him for half the goodies you would teach him how to MD He probably would have jumped on that :)

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand though...at least he was looking out for his neighbor. Didn't sound like he made a big deal, but he could have walked over and asked you himself.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nosy busy body neighbors. always tryin to ruin our fun. prolly thought u were diggin for bombs or somethin. DOH !

Actually, he was a pretty nice guy. He was just looking out for his neighbor because he knew how particular she was with her yard. There are super nice old homes in that location but they adjoin a bad area of town.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hes was just mad because he didn't ask his neighbor :)
When he said he wanted to give it another try You should have told him for half the goodies you would teach him how to MD He probably would have jumped on that :)

I should have kept my big mouth shut when he first said OK! I'm going to give it a week or so and knock on his door again. I'll get to detect his yard, one way or the other. There are several other neighbors that also have fantastic looking yards that I'd like to detect. The more they see me out there, the more likely they'll give me permission. Also, I'll get the names of all the neighbors from the lady that I got the first permission from.

tabman

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's M6, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could walk into wal-mart with a knife in your teeth and no pants on and not a single person will even notice you but the second the metal detector comes out of the trunk at an abandoned park the whole city collectively loses its mind. I'll never understand what gets people so bent out of shape about this hobby. It would be like going into a panic and calling the cops because you saw someone tying fly fishing flies. One of the most laid-back and harmless hobbies in the world and people flip out about it all the time. I totally understand there's always "that guy" who tears property to pieces and leaves his plugs open or trespasses but most of us aren't that guy and people usually don't even know that metal detecting is a real thing until they see one of us on a yard somewhere for the first time in their lives. The longer I'm in this hobby the less I understand that type of reaction and the more frustrating it becomes to me.

Last edited:

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always helps if they can see the condition you leave the first site in. This is where taking care as you recover can payoff big.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a productive dig, despite the police interruption. Sounds like a great permission to me. HH!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds like a nice permission. Nice finds.:icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs Nosey Nosington. Saw you and her instincts automatically recognized your dangerous mug She spotted the machine gun you were swinging instantly.Shes no fool she can spot a criminal for blocks brazinly digging holes to plant chips in the ground to monitor her comings and goings so when shes not home you could strike. She is the head of the neighborhood watch committe her code name is old silver eye and when she spotted you it was time for operation swoop and scoop have the law swoop in and scoop you up.The villan will be chillin..... sorry just venting cause some people are just!!!!!!!Anyway nice silver and you handled that well. She will be watching you like a hawk from now on lol

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just having fun I guess I would hope my nieghbor Mr rusty eye would do the same if someone was in my yard...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Tabman. The neighbor was obviously jealous that you were detecting near his "turf". Why would another hobbyist call the police on someone just because they were detecting a yard across the street ? And would any of us really walk into someones yard and start digging without permission ? He just tried to ruin your day.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Everyone! I'm heading back to the same site again tomorrow. Hopefully, I can find some other goodies. What amazes me is that only 6 or 8 trash targets were found while digging everything above iron. Counting just a few modern coins the total coin count was over 50 coins. I've never dug an old site that had so little trash and that many old coins.

tabman

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the killer permission! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread