A Cameo and Mystery Coin-like Object

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in an area first settled by CT Puritans during the 1650's. Tough to find their material culture though I spend a lot of time trying. I have found buttons, thimbles, shoe buckles, horse shoes and misc. iron scrap such as plow blade tips and cauldron pieces. I don't think they had much early on thus explaining the three coin-like objects I have discovered thus far. I know people always ask "Who is on my Cameo?" But I am hoping the hat can be an identifier as to whether it might be Puritan, Quaker, English, or Dutch who all roamed this area. It was an isolate find. colfinds9.jpg I found this isolated coin-like object about four inches deep. My White's Spectra V3i gave it a VDI of 64, solid in the copper range yet not like copper. It's not lead, is dense, worn smooth, and came out of the ground like this no cleaning. It weighs one troy ounce near exactly. Fairly close by I found a brass shoe buckle which seems to line up with 1730's specimens. The 1798 Draped Bust Cent is one of best finds, i have three to date, all in surprisingly good condition. I call them proto-currency. colcoin2.jpg Looking forward to seeing other's finds and getting some advice. thanks. finds6.jpg

Upvote 15

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cameo is really nice. No idea on it but I'd say it's certainly at least 1800's could be 1700's or older. That draped bust is a beauty as well! Thanks for sharing the finds. Great post!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :occasion14:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
your cameo is most likely a piece of a wax seal watch fob
I've found a few broken like that...always one of my favourite finds, good going!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes cameo is from a wax seal

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome! Congrats on the Draped Bust LC :icon_thumleft:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Looks like you might have an 8 over 7 strike on that draped bust. Anyone else seeing that? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. When I enlarge it I can't really see it as well.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its "intaglio". Not a "cameo".

Start there.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. I often would say intaglio and people would say cameo. I inverted it on Photoshop to see how the seal would appear. It's unlikely our first wave of Puritan agrarian settlers during the 1650's would have a man of letters in need of a seal. Everything went through the church. However, the nearby town of Sag Harbor was a major whaling port and the first port of entry to the US as declared by the Continental Congress. tres18.jpg tres19.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread