Ring mystery solved!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
A few weeks ago, I found and posted a ring I found in my mother's yard. My grandfather built there in 1941 and my Dad grew up there so any relics found date only that far back. It was part of a 25 acre farm, so older farm relics were always possible but everything I've found in sixteen years of detecting was lost within the last 80 years. That includes this ring, and I finally solved the mystery of it. The J stands for John, my Dad's brother, and I got the story last night. It is a saddle, as some have pointed out, and Uncle John got it from a Roy Rogers club in exchange for X number of cereal box tops! He lost it in conjunction with a "tussle" that turned into an actual fight; his opponent actually received some tissue damage from the ring. This annoyed the victim's mother, who marched up to the house and complained to my grandmother:laughing7:. The neighbor was a Halfhill, and I found one of those lucky tokens with the Halfhill name on it years ago. Also in my mother's yard. The Halfhills must have spent quite a lot of time playing in our yard.... I'll be mailing this ring to my uncle, who now lives in Virginia, and hopefully he'll take better care of it going forward:laughing7:!

Attachments

• unclejohnring.jpeg
    unclejohnring.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 25

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Good Story and Ring Return!!! Congrats!!!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember you posting that ring , thanks for the history of it

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story behind the ring. So cool that you are returning it to your uncle. Thanks for sharing and let us know your uncle's reaction to receiving it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouch, yeah that would leave a mark. I wonder if there was some guy wearing a saddle shaped scar for the rest of his life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread