Found a copper Nova Constellatio today!

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a find. Hunted a permission today that no one is living at, and pulled this out of the ground. There is alot more ground to cover too so I am excited. Unfortunately my digging tool did some damage as i was retrieving [emoji22]. The buildup on the coin can hopefully get some attention and reveal more detail.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586205970.852582.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586205982.637406.jpg

Upvote 34

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Hope you can get it cleaned up a bit.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, what a great find. Hope there is a lot more there for you!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning save!! A bucket lister for many, I’m sure. Don’t look like you did too much carnage, good luck on the clean up! Looking forward to seeing updated pics. Ddf.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet find, congrats! :occasion14:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be a 1783 2-B variety. This is a rarity 2 variety. I have always liked the Nova Constellatios, congratulations!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a freakin cool coin wow I have a bucket waiting on one of those lol

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve found a couple. Looked like a pointed rays variety. Awesome find

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks to be a 1783 2-B variety. This is a rarity 2 variety. I have always liked the Nova Constellatios, congratulations!

Thanks! What makes you think its the 2-B and not one of the other varieties? I know its atleast a pointed ray variety. Thanks for your input!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Shiny! Looks like you're a fairly new member- Welcome! BTW, I hunt in your state often and played golf there for 35 years. Continued success to you!

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Shiny! Looks like you're a fairly new member- Welcome! BTW, I hunt in your state often and played golf there for 35 years. Continued success to you!

Thanks! Yes I am a new member and new to detecting as well as I started detecting March 16,2020. I have been out 4-5 days a week since getting my excalibur2 and enjoying it thoroughly. I have a few spots in the woods where no one is living where I can social distance and still detect which is nice. I have been wanting to detect for awhile and now decided to dive into the hobby.

Its just sinking in how cool this find is.

Anytime you are back in RI and we can be out and about again and want a detecting partner I am down [emoji106]

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very nice find! A Nova is still on my wish list. I would be very careful cleaning that coin....... if I was to clean it at all. You could easily loose what little detail is left. Once you clean it, you can't "unclean" it. If it was a common LC I would say have at it. But Nova's are not common and you may never put your coil over one again. But to each his own. Good luck at that site. More goodies to be found for sure.

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find! A Nova is still on my wish list. I would be very careful cleaning that coin....... if I was to clean it at all. You could easily loose what little detail is left. Once you clean it, you can't "unclean" it. If it was a common LC I would say have at it. But Nova's are not common and you may never put your coil over one again. But to each his own. Good luck at that site. More goodies to be found for sure.

Thank you for the input. I am more and more leaning on not touching the coin at all and leaving as is. I would only try to clean the side I scratched already to see it i could get the date to show, but I’m thinking i would chip off some of the corrosion and have it take any detail with it anyway. Or possibly the nova wording that is showing, but then again don’t want to ruin anything that is already visible.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! What makes you think its the 2-B and not one of the other varieties? I know its atleast a pointed ray variety. Thanks for your input!
Sorry, actually I was going by memory which at my age is not a good idea! Checking the book, with what little detail I can make out I think the obverse must be either 4 or 5. This is going by where the ray points in comparison to the N in NOVA. Leaning heavily toward obverse 4, if I could just see the A in NOVA better would help. Best guess is 1785 4-C or 4-D. The other side, I just can't make out enough to say anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread