New Joy-sie Coppa at Colonial Cabin Site

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, guys, the club and I got out for some hardcore relic hunting. PACO, zoyboy, and I met our newest member, vpone, at an undislosed location at around 7:15 a.m. (we don't want anyone following us). Vpone decided to follow us out to the site today since he needed to leave earlier.

Once we arrived on the site, we all became spastic with excitement. This detecting area is another one of zoyboy's great ra-search projects. With very few leads to work from, my brother found the site of a Colonial cabin. He is the best at the ra-search aspect of the hobby!

While walking out to the detecting area, zoy and I were chatting with vpone for a bit. During the saunter, I was saying stuff like this, "Kevin, you know there is good sh*t waiting to be excavated here. I am going to dig all signals. I will listen for that faint hint of a coppa sig. I wonder how many people would love to be hunting this site with us? We have to be the most enthusiastic dudes on the forum. How often do most dudes get to detect a Colonial site? Heck, we detect them like they are going out of metal detecting style." That conversation went on for a couple of minutes until we all got to our detecting business.

Within 10 minutes of our detecting business, vpone was yelling out a nice relic. It gave us some great hope for the area! After his find, I was soon yelping out, "But-tin! Musketball!" If the signal was 50 VDI or above, it would be a but-tin or a musketball. There was NO modern day trash here at all! That is another awesome aspect zoy brings into his ra-search. Most of his ra-search projects are focused where very little activity happened in the past 150 years. Zoy, you kick a$$ and there is no metal detecting doubt about it!

About an hour into our hunt, I got a nice "Q" on "Quarter" hit that pinpointed at 3.5". Before getting down to dig, I looked at the soil and thought, "Hell yeah, this is a coppa or an old wilver!" After plucking out some historic soil, I used my pinpointer to zero in on the target...it locked on "something." That "something" was a...COPPA! After picking it up, I yelled to the guys, "Coin! Large coppa!" The 1st dude to reach me was our good bud, vpone. He slapped "high-fives" with me until zoy and PACO arrived. Since the coppa is toasted, it is very difficult to identify. I am 100% confident that it is a Colonial! That makes 7 for me this year, baby!

After the Colonial excavation, I was soon back to recovering more Colonial relics. My best but-tin for the day is the one with the "London" backmark. Indeed, a 1700s London but-tin! Thank you, Pro XL! ;) :D

The day ended at 12:30, so we were soon meeting at the car. We had one heck of a time! These guys (PACO, vpone, and zoyboy) are the best to detect with! The times spent together with these three professionals will always be a great memory. Once again, "Bone Dry Detecting," thanks for the awesome time!

*All relics were found in the yard where a Colonial dude dwelled. :D
coppa001.jpg

*WOOOOHOOOO...I can't believe it! After looking at the coin with zoy for awhile, the coppa turned out to be a NJ coppa! The dragon head is very subtle, but we definitely see it! This is my 2nd one this year! Do you guys want pics?

NJ coppa (note the very subtle outline of the dragon head):
njcoppa001.jpg

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Coppa at Colonial Cabin Site

Nice finds Kirk! I have the same button. Def late 1700's. I'll have to count my Colonials for the year...close to 20 I think but I'm still looking for the one with the great detail!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

romeo-1 said:
Nice finds Kirk! I have the same button. Def late 1700's. I'll have to count my Colonials for the year...close to 20 I think but I'm still looking for the one with the great detail!

It is definitely a nice-looking but-tin. So far, I have found two but-tins this year with the "London" backmark.

Great job, romeo, on the Colonials. You know what the good stuff is! ;) :)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great day Kirk. I've got a couple of those butt-tins with the London backmark. I've been told they are late 1700's. Are you going to try to clean the coin to attempt to get an ID?

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Evolution said:
Great day Kirk. I've got a couple of those butt-tins with the London backmark. I've been told they are late 1700's. Are you going to try to clean the coin to attempt to get an ID?

As Mr. Walter would state, "Noooooo."

Rob, I probably won't do anything to the coin. It is definitely a Colonial. I sized it up to all the American coppas and it is smaller in diameter. Gotta love those Colonials!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Bro, you never cease to amaze me with your coppa recoveries! I believe that you could put up a fight against Don in SJ when it comes to finding those coppas. :D

zoyster

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kirk, out of curosity, what do you do with all your finds? keep em?

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

bootybay said:
kirk, out of curosity, what do you do with all your finds? keep em?

You better believe it, metal detecting babe! :D As Mr. Walter would state, "I don't sell nothing."

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

that button is in pretty good shape. what does the front look like? any decoration? i like finding those old buttons almost (i said almost ;D ) as much as finding old coins! too bad the copper took such a beating. a lot of the old coppas around here come out in the same condition. they are still fun to find anyway. great stuff as always Kirk!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

oh, and zoy does kick arse at putting you guys on those productive sites! hes got a knack for it!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

hollowpointred said:
oh, and zoy does kick arse at putting you guys on those productive sites! hes got a knack for it!

Now you know why I picked him as my twin brother. :D

The butt-in doesn't have any metal detecting design.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are definately the "king of coppa" brother. NICE digs.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zoyboy said:
Bro, you never cease to amaze me with your coppa recoveries! I believe that you could put up a fight against Don in SJ when it comes to finding those coppas. :D

zoyster

Cough Cough :) Must be catching a cold ;D

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don in South Jersey said:
zoyboy said:

zoyster

Cough Cough :) Must be catching a cold ;D

Come on, Don, you need to stay with me, bud! :D Use your cane and swing with the fever. :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang, those toasted coppers , Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Kirk what is the diameter in mm and the weight if you can weigh it in grams...........

Oh, nice going guys, and glad to see ya giving recognition to those nice button finds. :)

Don

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don in South Jersey said:
Dang, those toasted coppers , Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Kirk what is the diameter in mm and the weight if you can weigh it in grams...........

Oh, nice going guys, and glad to see ya giving recognition to those nice button finds. :)

Fon

I will do it right now, bud! Give zoyboy and I about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don, the coin is 9.6 grams and 26.8 mm in diameter. What could it be? I am thinking it is British.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Don, the coin is 9.6 grams and 26.8 mm in diameter. What could it be? I am thinking it is British.

I was ready to reply I agree and that it is most likely a KGIII, but now not so sure, what is throwing me off is the weight! Is the coin overly thick? The weight seems high for a coin only 26.8mm, I will look more after dinner, interesting, no features whatsoever I suppose.........

26.8mm diameter is fine for a KGIII counterfeit but not 9.6 grams.

OK, I have a few coppers that match the coin and yes , NJ Copper is best guess.......... It matches a couple of my 1787 coppers.

Kirk, 146.5 grains converts to 9.5 grams, so very very close to yours, the NJ's vary quite a bit from variety to variety but the thickness with the smaller diameter is a good clue when features are almost non-existant. Congrats on another NJ copper.

Don

Attachments

• NJcomparisoncoin.jpg
    NJcomparisoncoin.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,106

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread