1877 Seated Liberty Quarter!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
This past Saturday morning after hitting a bad estate sale, I was driving by a large field that I last hunted over a year and a half ago. Even though it had produced two corroded large cents and a worn smooth 1797 Cartwheel Penny, along with the usual 19th century buttons and buckles I had kind of giving up on it after hitting many times. So it's 9:30 in the morning and since it's too early to open the store and I had nothing else to do, I figured I'd give the field a shot for about an hour and a half. Some quick background on this field - it was definitely farmland in the 19th century, and there are what appears to be the original farmers' dirt roads with very deep tire ruts. Also, it is a hang out for teens and young adults, since I was in there one day and these young guys were driving their SUVs on the dirt roads. So anyway, I start hunting a small clearing in the center of the field and I come up with a 19th century flat button. Then a little while later, I decided to start hunting the dirt roads. In the past I had hesitated hunting the dirt roads because there is more trash on them than in the field. Pretty much right off the bat I start hitting buttons and other bits of 19th century relics and then I got a real good quarter signal and came up a pretty corroded Large Cent. I cleaned it with hot peroxided and then abused it with a soapy brillo pad and was able to see the date of 1821. The coin right now is in the store, so I can't post a picture of it tonight. I went back late Saturday afternoon and found a 19th century bronze religious medal (also in store) and a few more buttons. So that brings us to today. I now had a renewed interest in this field, since the dirt roads were producing. I got to the field around 3:00, and immediately starting hitting a new section of dirt road. Again, I start finding buttons and old stuff real quick. So after about an hour of finding some buttons and a buckle, I get a really loud shallow quarter signal down in the rut of the dirt road. I tell you, I was lucky I dug the signal, because real close by was a flattened aluminum can, and I could of easily thought the signal was the can. But, I thought there was a quick pause in between the quarter signal and the can signal. So I kicked the can away rechecked the the quarter signal, and it was still there! Still, at this point, I'm not getting my hopes up too high (even though the large cent was shallow and other stuff in the bottom of the ruts were shallow) cause I'm thinking its going to be a modern clad quarter (a few of which I have dug in this field, along with memorial pennies). So I dig a shallow broken plug (the surface dirt in the ruts is real hard and it crumbles) and spread it out a bit, and I see a dark grayish quarter lying there that I assumed was modern clad. So as I pick it up and get a closer look at it, you can only imagine how surprised and elated I was when I realized it was an 1877 Seated Liberty! All I said in a calm and very satisfied manner was "bingo!" This is the first Seated Liberty Quarter I've found and only my third Seated Liberty coin. The other two are a dime and a half dime.

Attachments

• seated.jpg
    seated.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 988
  • seated2.jpg
    seated2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 987
  • seated3.jpg
    seated3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 985
  • seated4a.jpg
    seated4a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 870
  • seated5.jpg
    seated5.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful quarter bookfisher. Thats a "bingo" in my book too.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now that will give us all some motivation !!!!

N I C E find

congrats !

vp

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Very nice find, congrats on taking the extra step and being rewarded!! Sweet!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great Story and finds! Finds like that definetly take the sting out of the bad estate sale!Sounds like that field is going to produce like your old woods did!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
gypsyheart said:
Great Story and finds! Finds like that definetly take the sting out of the bad estate sale!Sounds like that field is going to produce like your old woods did!

Hi Gypsy,

I hope your right - though the problem with this field, even though its large (for Western Suffolk County, Long Island standards) about 200 acres, much of the area is covered with thick growth, (not sticker bushes) but small trees with craggily branches growing real close to each other that makes it hard to get in there and swing the detector. But I still have more dirt roads to do, and some other areas that may produce.

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Glad you found another place to hunt. I guess you cleaned out the wooded area where you found the sovereign and other valuables. Best of luck.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH! Come on Fisher. ::) A calm 'BINGO' ? ??? NO WAY! :D Had to be some sort of a happy dance in there somewhere! ;D

AWESOME find!!! That's still on my wish list!

Congrats!!! Nana ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a slammer 8)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That is a beautiful coin. The seated are some of the prettiest coins in my opinion. That's pretty funny about the cartwheel penny you found. Was it found in the USA, very unusual for around here I'd think.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
BINGO? You found that and all you said was BINGO? What is wrong with you man? Get a hold of yourself!!! The only thing that would make me happier than finding that would be a gold plated zipper pull!!!! ;D :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going, I have found more coins than I can count on the remains of old roads, and within a few yards of the edge of the old roads. Sometimes the roads are mere impressions, but in old fields I usually rely on old maps showing original roads or by physically looking in disturbed areas you can sometimes figure out where a road used to be.
By the way, some of my deepest finds of Colonials and Large Cents are from old roads........Not like in the wooded areas where they average more in the 4-6 inch range.

Hopefully more goodies await you at this location. :)

Don

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Great looking quarter! That Seated is in good condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions