Found an Awesome Clay Bottle and a few Coins

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started the day next to an old creek near my house. I didn't find anything there but I did spot a bottle in the water. The only way to retrieve the bottle was to get wet. The creek was about a foot and a half deep and I was wet for the rest of the day but it was worth it. It turned out to be a bottle of Steinhäger. A German-made type of gin in a massive clay bottle.
They are only allowed to be legally produced in the German city of Steinhagen and started production in 1766. I don't know how old it is exactly as the company seemed to make the exact same bottle for a very long time so any Info is welcome.
IMG_4552.jpeg IMG_4559.jpeg
IMG_4558.jpeg IMG_4561.jpeg

After finding the bottle I moved a few hundred meters down the creek to a new area. I managed to dig a few things.
A fired musket ball
A couple of whatsits (Any help is much appreciated)
Lead curtain weight with the number 2 on it
Bag seal
A Belgian 1 centime 1832-1914
And a Dutch 1 cent from 1827
IMG_4539 2.jpeg IMG_4543.jpeg

Thanks for looking and Good Luck

Upvote 17
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding old bottle, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a really nice bottle wowza is that a trigger latch awesome job well worth being wet all day Good job Tommy

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really nice clay bottle congrats on it! I'd get soaked to make such a great retrieval!! We have those over here too but they are not super easy to find. I've seen some shards of those but I know there's one out there with my name on it!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Since you have already identified the coins, you have exceeded my knowledge. Nice finds. Congratulations.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a bit soaked is a small price to pay for a complete stoneware bottle. I'd gladly go for a swim for such a wonderful recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread