Knight looses head to axe!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
After giving Baldinboy the guilt trip about him wanting to kill deer rather than MD with ME, he gave in and agreed to go with me today. I took off work a couple of hours early and we headed out. The place we were going to hunt was supposedly the site of a home built in 1811 and that later became a Civil War Hospital.

Well the site is a little over an hour away and we took off at around 1:15 and it was 1:45 when we pulled up. I looked over at BB and he was drooling on himself, rocking back and forth and had his eyes squeezed shut so tight it looked like his face was about to fold in on itself. :) I guess maybe I should have driven a LITTLE slower. :)

We get out of the car and I walk up to the door to knock and announce myself to the home owner and let her know we are there and about to detect. No answer. Now mind you BB and I had never been here, the directions were a little dubious and I wasn't really sure we were in the right spot. So we did what any MDer would do, we broke out the equipment and started swinging. ;D
(I knew we were in the right place I was just messing with BB)

Well I have been having some trouble with the Beast lately. It has been very tempermental and I was worried about how it was going to do today. I turned it on and it started right up and I was off swinging. BB and I spent an hour detecting nothing but trash trash trash. I started looking around and I tell BB I don't think we're detecting in the right part of the yard and walk off to look around. BB gets into a shouting match with a horse, OK I know horses don't shout but BB is standing in the field with this HUGE black horse right in front of him and he keeps swinging his detector at the horses foot and yelling something. As I get closer I hear him say, "I found that shoe with my XLT and I want it now so give it up!" I quickly go over and redirect BB to an area behind the house and tell him that I think that is where the old house used to sit and he agrees. We climbed under some barbed wire fencing and into a field just as the P.O.d horse and his buddies trot over to where we had just been ready to kick some BB behind! :D We start swinging our coils and I get a good signal right off and dig the lighter. Not two feet from the lighter I find the little decorative thing, then a few feet more and out pops the Knight's Head. It is pretty small and it was very difficult to find. I dug it out of the ground at around 7 inches! I was pretty happy with the silly little thing. The copper ring was next and then on to the valve. All this in an area about 5X5 feet! I was really happy because the Beast seemed to be working great!!! Then I heard what I thought was someone asking for some french fried tators and an umm humm and the Beast turned itself off!!! >:( I waited patiently and turned it back on and got a garbled screen. I turned it back off, pulled the batteries and put them back in and I was back in business, sort of. Suddenly the brand new batteries that I had put in right before the hunt were at the half way mark. They hadn't been before the swingblade routine by the Beast. I am getting really tired of this to. Although somebody on the forum told me that a normally working Explorer wouldn't do this. To which my reply was Uh Hellooooo? So I have to call Sandy at Minealb tomorrow and discuss the machine and its issues with her.

Back to hunting . Got an overload signal and dug up the plant/seed broadcaster part? Then a few minutes later another overload and out pops the axe. Not five minutes later another overload and I dug up a disc from a disc machine, not compact, not digital video, but a farming disc. I left it leaning up against a tree out in the field on accident. :-\ :-[ I will have to get it back soon. BB got a call from his wife and that is when I realized I hadn't checked in with the wife and I reached down for my phone and it was gone!!! :o I looked everywhere I could and finally had to walk over to BB and borrow his phone to call my cell. I had to walk all the way around the front of the house to where the horse was talking on it, calling in an order for Pizza. ;D I politely asked him for it back and he told me only if I would kick BB in the shins. I agreed. Just then the owner drove up and jumped out of his truck and asked me who I was. I explained and he laughed and said, "So you are the crazy guy who wants to dig up my yard." I answered yes and he asked what I had found. I showed him the lighter and the little knights head and he just laughed and said he was glad I was enjoying myself. I walked back around the house to give BB back his phone after finding two pennies on the way to where he was. I walked up and handed him the phone and just for a minute thought about giving him a really good kick but it was almost dark and the horses weren't looking so I didn't kick him. Hey he is my huntin buddy and a horse has to know its limits! ;D :D :)

We started working our way back to the car and I found one more penny and a 1927 wheat penny. BB did find silver tonight but I will let him tell his own story. Just before leaving I found the little metal item that says ISd3d. I think that was a top secret branch of the Union Army. I got a buddy who is a CW buff I am going to ask tomorrow. ::)

It was time to go so BB and I loaded up and stopped by Casey's and ordered a Pizza. BB started flirting with a "woman" that had walked in to buy something to drink. I tried to tell him that it wasn't a woman but a man dressed as a woman but he wouldn't listen. ;D :D Oh well some things you just have to learn on your own, after all friendship does have its limits. ;D :D :D ;)

Attachments

• stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • knight.JPG
    knight.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,044
  • knightback.JPG
    knightback.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • lighter.JPG
    lighter.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • thingy.JPG
    thingy.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,046
  • valve2.JPG
    valve2.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • wheat.JPG
    wheat.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • square.JPG
    square.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • squareback.JPG
    squareback.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,026
  • ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 1,020
  • isd3d.JPG
    isd3d.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,024
Upvote 0

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
You should be writing for a metal detector magazine !! High fives on the finds.The knights head is cool.That site sounds like its worth pounding some more.HH....Panz

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sounds like you had a fun day at a decent site. Well, once you get thru the extraneous goodies (iron), anyway. Are those *square* nails up in the top right hand corner?

I'm impressed with the Beast - even if he was (is?) not at his best, to find something that small that far down seems pretty dang good to me.

Glad you were able to get out for a while.

HH
Nan
P.S.
I wonder... if the horse gave you the shoe in return for the shin-kicking? ;)

Jus' kiddin' :P

ridge_runner

Jan 15, 2006
Fort LeonardWood, Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT
Can y'all get any funnier??? Now, waiting for BB's comeback story. I had heard he was attracted to horses through a source that I will not mention (ME)!

Great hunt guys! It's there....Just have to sift through the trash first!

RR

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
tymcmurray said:
Good hunt.
That "Pepsi" thingy is in amazing shape of it's obviosly antiquated age. ;D ;D ;D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, PEPSI! Darn I thought it was ISd3d!!!!!! ::) :-[

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
LMFAO! You are hilarious, dude! I can't wait for BB's side of the story. This is great entertainment! :D :D :D :D

By the way, White's machines don't die out like that. ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
mastereagle22 said:
tymcmurray said:
Good hunt.
That "Pepsi" thingy is in amazing shape of it's obviosly antiquated age. ;D ;D ;D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, PEPSI! Darn I thought it was ISd3d!!!!!! ::) :-[

ROFLMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D

I should know by now not to be drinking ANYTHING when reading your threads (or BBs either, for that matter).

thanks for the guffaw :D

HH
Nan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
KirkPA said:
LMFAO! You are hilarious, dude! I can't wait for BB's side of the story. This is great entertainment! :D :D :D :D

While that MAY be true Kirk, my machine was doing great until I dropped it. I don't blame any one for the Billy Bob's problems other than myself. I am afraid of how much it will cost me to get it fixed! :o

Umm hmmm

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:

While that MAY be true Kirk, my machine was doing great until I dropped it. I don't blame any one for the Billy Bob's problems other than myself. I am afraid of how much it will cost me to get it fixed! :o

Umm hmmm

BB must have tackled you. :D

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Actually it was that one time in band camp. . . . . . . . oops, it was that one time when he hit me, can't remember which time that was cause he is always hitting me, throwing things at me, cussing me, spitting at me. . . . . . I don't think he likes ME very much. ;) :D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord now that is entertainment!! Thanks for taking us along on this hunt. I am ashamed to post my boring hunts now. Congrats on the finds.
Burdie

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Hey Burdie, if you look you will see I didn't find anything different than you did on your last post. I just find that my mental illness, when used to my advantage, makes people laugh. That is all. ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions