May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

The dudes (kirkpa, zoy & paco) weren't around to metal detect today but were nice enough to let me detect the coronet field with my 16" coil. They have gotten 14 coppers (and a bust half dime !) from this field already but felt they had worked it pretty hard and that maybe that was all there was or if there were more coins, they were deep ...

so i tried my 16" coil (I call it my steering wheel) for about a half hour today

i found a couple small buttons at 7 & 8 inches, a dropped musketball and then got a perfect reading of 00 27 on the SE but it was faint, so i could tell it was deep, but it definately repeated so i dug it

at 10 inches down i uncovered this coin, when i saw it in the hole i yelled out "copper" but no one was there to high five (kinda sucked)

i went home quick and called paco, who sped right over to see it, after looking at sizes and pics of different coins, we think it's a connecticut but aren't sure, i included a picture of the details that come up when you put a flashlight to the side of it

front : you can clearly make out a bust that reaches the top of the coin, and a long skinny neck, there are also two letters visible
to the right of the bust

back: you can see a line at the bottom and part of the lady sitting there, i thought i could almost see the 7 in the date, but i think my eyes were playing tricks on me

any help is appreciated.

this is my first copper this old and special thanks have to go to kirk, zoy and paco for letting me hit the field with my big coil

vp

Attachments

• colonial-both copy.jpg
    colonial-both copy.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Old Copper at Cornonet Field - ID Help Needed

Hell yeah, Kevin, I knew there were some goodies still in that field. I just wish I could buy a 16" for my detector. :D That sure is a Colonial coppa. Congrats on finding your 1st coppa as a "Bone Dry Detecting" member. I am super thrilled for you!!!

It does look like my Conn. coppa from this year. Minelab kicks a$$!

BDD...Kirk

P.S. I still think we should hit that Colonial cabin site on Sunday. There has to be a lot of goodies on that site.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Just to add: we have found 2 Colonials, 14 Coronets, 1 Bust wilver, and many but-tins from this field.

Kevin, where did you find the coin exactly? Was it on top of the ridge or on the side of the hill?

BDD...Kirk

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hey kirk,

sorry you guys weren't there today, like i said it kinda sucks when you find something and nobody's around

it was right on top of the ridge where you guys found a bunch, that place is still confusing to me though, no debris field, no iron signals, wasn't on our map ... but it still had all of those coins !!! i can't imagine what could have been going on back so long ago that would have produced so many coins at one specific spot

thanks again

vp

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

vpone said:
hey kirk,

sorry you guys weren't there today, like i said it kinda sucks when you find something and nobody's around

it was right on top of the ridge where you guys found a bunch, that place is still confusing to me though, no debris field, no iron signals, wasn't on our map ... but it still had all of those coins !!! i can't imagine what could have been going on back so long ago that would have produced so many coins at one specific spot

thanks again

vp

Kevin, my brother and I were talking last night about how we wanted you to hit that field with the 16" coil. We knew the stuff was suuuper deep and you could get it with that coil.

I do wish we could have been there to congratulate you. Damn it! hahaha But, you found it and I am happy for you. :)

BDD...Kirk

P.S. The field does contain some iron patches and I have seen some pottery on the ground. I am thinking maybe a tavern or general store. This site kicks butt!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it's on top of a ridge and has no debris field and no iron signals nearby Is it possible it could have been an isolated campsite? Just an idea. Great find Vpone. Congrats on your first large coppa as a member of B.D.D. I'm not an expert on colonials so i won't attempt to ID it but I will say.......Sweet!! ;D

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Evolution said:
If it's on top of a ridge and has no debris field and no iron signals nearby Is it possible it could have been an isolated campsite? Just an idea. Great find Vpone. Congrats on your first large coppa as a member of B.D.D. I'm not an expert on colonials so i won't attempt to ID it but I will say.......Sweet!! ;D

thanks !

a campsite makes sense definately ... or some sort of event took place there maybe over like 10-20 years not sure ...

thansk again

vp

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Yo, Kevin, that is frickin' awesome, man! I am so glad that you got your first Colonial, and you also proved that there are probably about 10 more coins waiting in that field; we just have to wait for the plow now.

Dude, there will be many more Colonials waiting to be excavated by Bone Dry Detecting (BDD).

Oh, I am one step closer to locating another Colonial tavern site. May all of the British coppers, Spanish maravedis, reales, and cobs make themselves evident when we sweep over them. :D

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

zoyboy said:
Yo, Kevin, that is frickin' awesome, man! I am so glad that you got your first Colonial, and you also proved that there are probably about 10 more coins waiting in that field; we just have to wait for the plow now.

Dude, there will be many more Colonials waiting to be excavated by Bone Dry Detecting (BDD).

Oh, I am one step closer to locating another Colonial tavern site. May all of the British coppers, Spanish maravedis, reales, and cobs make themselves evident when we sweep over them. :D

thanks zoy !

like i said i wish i would have found it when you guys were around, and honestly i wish it had a LITTLE more detail to it but hey i'll definately take it !!!

thanks again !

vp
Bone Dry Detecting

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Kevin,

To tell you the truth, that coin has some good enough detail to identify it. We will have to look at it. Hell, it is much better looking than my NJ coppa from Sunday.

That is the 7th Colonial from their property.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Kevin, the coin kind of looks like my Conn. this year (the bottom one). Oh, those coins were found in that "Colonial Field." :D

Attachments

• Colonials.JPG
    Colonials.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 574
  • Colonials.JPG
    Colonials.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 575

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Yo, Kevin, I was talking to KirkPA about Minelab. I can't believe it: a coppa at 11" deep. It shows, if you know your machine, you will find the goodies. :)

P.S. I think we still need to hit the site where Kirk and I found our coppas. Remember, we still need to talk with that Bipolar farmer. :D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

zoyboy said:
Yo, Kevin, I was talking to KirkPA about Minelab. I can't believe it: a coppa at 11" deep. It shows, if you know your machine, you will find the goodies. :)

P.S. I think we still need to hit the site where Kirk and I found our coppas. Remember, we still need to talk with that Bipolar farmer. :D

I agree with that. We still need to explore that ridge, too. Plus, that Bipolar farmer may be harvesting this week. :) ;D

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think it's a knock-out from an electrical box.

Seriously. Beauty!

I'm just about to start a field that had a log cabin on it. Doubt if it hold any Colonials here in Ohio, but may be some other goodies there.

Good work. You guys rock!
Ken

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Nice find vpone. Here's another one for comparision. Found it at an old trading post a few years back.
Congrats.
Mike

Attachments

• conn.jpg
    conn.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 517
  • conn1.jpg
    conn1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 508

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

YO VPONE,
GREAT JOB ON THE DEEP STUFF......... I`M GLAD YOU TOOK THE CHANCE AND HIT IT.........

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Yo, Kevin, I had to respond to this thread again! Man, I am super glad that you got your first Colonial. Welcome to the club in full stride, man.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ok bone dry guys what kind of coin is it :-\
i see lots of back slapping but no one giving the guy any help :-X
(save a few none bone dry "members" )

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

EDDE said:
ok bone dry guys what kind of coin is it :-\
i see lots of back slapping but no one giving the guy any help :-X
(save a few none bone dry "members" )

EDDE, I doesn't see no help from you, sir! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread