Chain of fools
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Chain of fools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    WD, Sis, Missy (when I am in trouble)

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    Tecnetics Delta 4000 , Garret ATMAX
    53442 times
    digging history of my farm

Chain of fools

We have been cleaning up around the old home/farm site. The tornado that came through last year really trashed a lot of our trees. Wednesday night our two oldest grandsons started taking out the wild honeysuckle on the hill behind the cellar hole. It had also been raining for a couple days. I walked around and eyeballed a few things that gave me hope that I might find something good on the hill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9206.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	1835520

Last night I went out with the ATMax and gave it a try. Iím struggling trying to figure this detector out. All I was finding was more rusty nails, fence, and fence posts. So I took it down to the area where I found my only old coin. I managed to figure out how to eliminate everything below 35. It was still making the dreaded ďdonkĒ for rust. So I made up my mind I wasnít going to dig unless the reading was over 35. I got a hit that had 2 different tones, one deep (the ďdonkĒ) and one of to the side that was a little higher. It rang up 40. I thought,Ē Well why not try it?Ē
    I think the lock fooled me.

Name:	IMG_9207.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	1835522

Name:	IMG_9217.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	1835523

Still had fun.

Thanks for looking,
    Sis

us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    4601 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    WD Iv bin teaching my daughter to use my/ hers now ATpro, I tell her to run pro coin mode and only dig the fast squeakers, it wasnt until we hit a newer campsite that she was able to get those squeakers... Hope this helps ya!!
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    4601 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Also the AT series loves that big iron just look at the junk ol Aquachigger pulls out, I really enjoy his show but wish he would get a Nox...
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Looks like some older glass and pottery Sis. Keep looking around and maybe a complete bottle will show itself. I would not discount that "donk" signal from your detector. A lot of very nice relics are iron and rusty. Unless of course, you are strictly a coin shooter, then that's different.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2278 times
    Learn those different sounds as you are doing and eventually you'll start calling your finds before you see them with a high percentage of correct results. Remember what you just heard on that find. Lots of chains will do similar signals. Experimenting with how much discrimination and other settings to use will alter those sounds slightly, but get use to how that works too. By how you described it, you have an iron bed where you're hearing all the "donks". Go slow over those areas and if you hear a squeak or higher tone, go back and forth across that higher tone from different angles. If it repeats, dig it. The AT series might not have all the bells and whistles that some machines have today, but it does give you all you need to know if you have the sounds and their meanings down pat. I believe that with practice, you can make any brand work well as long as it has the basic necessities for the type of hunting you want to do.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2278 times
    The reason I said that about chains is that most I find still have something attached at one end. Be it a hook, lock, or other, if it's a little different on shape or mass, it will vary the beep some.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    40157 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Make a test garden coins pop tops junk relics it will help, looks like it would be a blast diggin that site definately lots of activity theres gonna be some cool finds keep at it

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 89 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Stumbles In Corn ..........(Thanks Treblehunter!)

Apr 2012
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Garrett AT-PRO, Garrett Groundhog, Pro-Pointer, Jack Hammer!
    18584 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Well.....maybe...that chain was holding the treasure chest to an old tree?

At least you enjoyed? How are you liking the Max? That's where I believe I'll be moving to next.
    "When one loses hope that things will return to normal. It makes it very difficult for them to become so." - WIF

If you need to fill some time: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ent-hobby.html

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    53442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    WD Iv bin teaching my daughter to use my/ hers now ATpro, I tell her to run pro coin mode and only dig the fast squeakers, it wasnt until we hit a newer campsite that she was able to get those squeakers... Hope this helps ya!!
    Thatís a good tip. Put it in practice tonight.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    53442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Also the AT series loves that big iron just look at the junk ol Aquachigger pulls out, I really enjoy his show but wish he would get a Nox...
    Well that explains a lot! The Delta I was using loved rust, too. This one seems to love it more.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    53442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    Looks like some older glass and pottery Sis. Keep looking around and maybe a complete bottle will show itself. I would not discount that "donk" signal from your detector. A lot of very nice relics are iron and rusty. Unless of course, you are strictly a coin shooter, then that's different.
    Not a coin shooter, but am itching to find one in this area because I am confident it would be old.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    53442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
    Learn those different sounds as you are doing and eventually you'll start calling your finds before you see them with a high percentage of correct results. Remember what you just heard on that find. Lots of chains will do similar signals. Experimenting with how much discrimination and other settings to use will alter those sounds slightly, but get use to how that works too. By how you described it, you have an iron bed where you're hearing all the "donks". Go slow over those areas and if you hear a squeak or higher tone, go back and forth across that higher tone from different angles. If it repeats, dig it. The AT series might not have all the bells and whistles that some machines have today, but it does give you all you need to know if you have the sounds and their meanings down pat. I believe that with practice, you can make any brand work well as long as it has the basic necessities for the type of hunting you want to do.
    Thanks for the information. Discrimination is what I donít know how to do. I think I have the book with me. Hopefully I will have time to read it again.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    53442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Make a test garden coins pop tops junk relics it will help, looks like it would be a blast diggin that site definately lots of activity theres gonna be some cool finds keep at it
    I have done that, but I must have fried too many brain cells in my youth. You made a lightbulb go off. Scary. I know. I will add writing down what each does on an index card and keep it in my bag. Then I can reference year to year.
    Thanks Tommy.

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    55482 times
    Underwater B.B. stacking
    Seems to me I recall seeing MrWD wearing a similar chain but his had a ball on the other end

Appears you are doing better these past couple years and your interest is growing.

Good job ..................
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2017
    O-H-I-O
    53442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WHADIFIND View Post
    Well.....maybe...that chain was holding the treasure chest to an old tree?

At least you enjoyed? How are you liking the Max? That's where I believe I'll be moving to next.
    WHADI! I forgot to take one more pic for you! You will have to take my word for it. I filled in the hole.
    How do I like it? Well itís heavier than the other one I was using. Thus, I kept going back to the old one. Now itís on the fritz and I am forced to learn the ATMAX. It does find more that I missed with the Delta. It finds deeper and smaller stuff. I bought it because I was going to brave underwater detecting in the big creek at the other end of our property. The tornadoes ruined that for me. Itís a mess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links