Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding sites by not only research, but by accident, and I doubly love it when I get carte blanche to dig there.

It started last summer went I traveled to upstate Pennsylvania and nearby New York looking for Indian artifacts. I didn't get all that many, but did get my first Indian net sinkers. The third time out I asked and got permission to detect.

After the Wyoming Massacre and Cherry Valley Massacres of 1778, George Washington decided to put a halt to the Indian and Tory incursions into American territory. He ordered General John Sullivan to march from Easton, PA up the Susquehanna all the way into New York along both the Susquehanna and Chemung Rivers. The did a scorched earth policy and burned 40 Indian (Iroquois) villages along the way, destroying all the Indians' food, lodge homes, everything. This caused the Iroquois to retreat to Canada, and while they knew the Americans were coming and were able to stay ahead of them, what awaited them in Canada was a poorly provisioned English army, and many died over the next few months.

At this one farm, which I detected last summer and now this year, I have been able to retrieve some nice items. Here you go:

IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1772.JPG The first item is my favorite. It is an Indian hammerstone, hand sized, which they used to make their arrowheads and spearpoints from. Take a close look at it. All the surrounding rocks are sedimentary, and unsuitable for hammerstones, so this was imported, probably from the Delaware River valley where quarts is much more common. You can see the rough areas where the stone was used to smack the flint to make points. But what interested me the most are the flat smooth areas. If you look closely, these areas are highly polished by human hands only! Someone, or maybe generations of someones used and used and reused this hammerstone to the point they polished it with their dirty hands and skin oils. That takes a long time to accomplish. To think someone and their family sat and used this little rock for innumerable hours long before Columbus arrived is mind numbing to me.

IMG_1775.JPG This is a second one, without nearly as much wear or use as the first one, but still a keeper.

IMG_1776.JPG Flakes, all from the same materials, perhaps Conshocton flint. Again, imported.

IMG_1779.JPG Arrowheads and spearpoints. Fourth one over on the top is a well made scraper. Bottom row third over is an Indian made gun flint and last one is a fluted Paleo point.

IMG_1777.JPG Indian "tinkle cones" worn on clothing to make a jingling noise, three buck shot, brass trade button with starburst design and a brass arrowhead. All these are from the contact period 1600-'s to 1779, when this particular village was abandoned.

IMG_1778.JPG Three trade beads. Yellows are called "French cross" beads, but I am not sure of the other one. We should find mussell shell beads here, but no luck so far.

IMG_1771.JPG 18th century hand forged nails, two Rev War grapeshot, VERY hard to get anymore, a "D" buckle and a brass trade cross.

There has to be more stuff there but the land size is huge! Timber rattlers roam the woods! Wood ducks live in the trees! You have to try not to hit the black bears as they cross the road! Enjoy!

Upvote 40

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
super cool finds. yuck on the rattle snakes

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!! I miss hunting for Indian artifacts! Need to do it again :)

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing all the greatness Smokey! Very cool finds. The stone artifacts, trade items, rev war! You've got it all covered here!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently the stone artifacts were found by sight. The Rev War and contact period American Indian items were sucked right out of the ground by the Deus.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that road trip was time well spent. Maybe some trade silver next time?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should make for interesting hunts with that variety! Congrats!

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the history lesson and those early trade artifacts are the coolest! Thank you for sharing!

-NZ49er

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trade silver would be nice. I found a Rev War stirrup there late last year, some more brass items, Indian pestle, fishing weights for nets, more arrowheads (small ones), and no hammerstones, but the Deus sniffed out a couple small rev war plain buttons and a few more tinkle cones.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super neat stuff Smokey. Well Done.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding relic hunt! :notworthy:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Was going back today but it going to be 89 degrees. Will be much better tomorrow.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Smokey. It is said that the land previously occupied by the Iriqous was given to the colonists as payment for their revolutionary war service.
Good luck on your next hunt

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Against the Wind, "seized" might be a better term...

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting and informative post. Love the artifacts!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive range of finds. I like the Contact Period find the most.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest: