Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a field near my hometown in SW PA that has chunks of petrified wood scattered throughout - well it used to. My brother has been collecting from this field for over 20 years, so it's not so prevalent anymore. In 2003 while he was looking for petrified wood he came across this Model 1851 Sword Belt Plate along the one edge of the field where an old house used to stand.

IMG_20200526_082528506_HDR.jpg

I went out there with him and detected the area briefly, but it was pretty trashy. After finding a 1919 penny, my attention shifted to looking for petrified wood and that was the last time I was in this field. I also ended up buying the belt plate from him and it's now in my collection.

Fast forward 17 years to this weekend and my return to the field with my XP Deus. I only worked the one edge of the field where the house stood, but I managed to eyeball some petrified wood that my brother missed (he walks this field every year) including one very large piece.
Petrified, bark side.jpg Petrified wood side.jpg Petrified - hand.jpg

While chasing a target in the plowed dirt, I looked to my left and spied some roundness. Smaller than a penny, silver-ish color, must be a dime. Yes, a 1907 Barber!
Barber - dirt.jpg

Here are the better metal detecting finds from the field, including an IHP, sterling pen or pencil (plow struck), some jewelry and a little ship.
Fort Plamer - good.jpg

The ship is something a little different
Ship.jpg

While I was in the field Sunday, the farmer showed up and began to plant, so I won't be back until after harvest. There are lots of good targets left, as I was only able to make 2 passes along the edge of the field. Here are some of the other non ferrous targets I dug.
Fort Palmer -junk.jpg

At another spot over the weekend I dug this little tag with the Lord's Prayer.
IMG_20200525_101921538_HDR.jpg

That's all folks, thanks for looking and good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome eyeball find with the Barber! Thought you had to go to the desert to find petrified wood. Congrats

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool Steve! Helluva weekend for diggin'. Whats on front of the button under the ship?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Steve! Helluva weekend for diggin'. Whats on front of the button under the ship?
I really expected that convex one piece to be military, or at least a flower button, but it's just plain faced.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome eyeball find with the Barber! Thought you had to go to the desert to find petrified wood. Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beauty plate that you got from your brother. Congrats on the pieces of petrified wood-very cool indeed.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow he found a great buckle even though it was a long time ago I would call that a favorite spot looks like it has given up some great relics. I love that petrified wood I had some when I was a kid and I think my Brother stole it from me cause I totally forgot about oit Time to give him a call. lol Those are just really cool because of how old they are and bieng like a rock I love those Great post as always my friend Thanks...........Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the very productive relic hunt with a silver surprise! :occasion14:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.
Why hoard the wood, you guys make something out of it or just like to have laying around ?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. Love that tag, the color, and most of all, its message.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, what a great site you have there Steve! :occasion14:
I feel for you about the field being planted and now having to wait until after the harvest to detect it again.

Hopefully they're planting soybeans as opposed to corn.
Corn's always a late harvest here in Ontario and I absolutely hate swinging in between the corn rows. :BangHead:
Dave

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, what a great site you have there Steve! :occasion14:
I feel for you about the field being planted and now having to wait until after the harvest to detect it again.

Hopefully they're planting soybeans as opposed to corn.
Corn's always a late harvest here in Ontario and I absolutely hate swinging in between the corn rows. :BangHead:
Dave
Thanks Dave, he is planting soybeans this year.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Thad. You just need exposed ground to see it - and know what you're looking for :laughing7:
Beauty plate that you got from your brother. Congrats on the pieces of petrified wood-very cool indeed.
Thanks Pepper
Wow he found a great buckle even though it was a long time ago I would call that a favorite spot looks like it has given up some great relics. I love that petrified wood I had some when I was a kid and I think my Brother stole it from me cause I totally forgot about oit Time to give him a call. lol Those are just really cool because of how old they are and bieng like a rock I love those Great post as always my friend Thanks...........Tommy
Thanks Tommy I hope you get your wood back.
Congrats on the very productive relic hunt with a silver surprise! :occasion14:
Thanks Prof. There is still a lot of ground to hunt and hopefully more silver to find.
Nice finds.
Why hoard the wood, you guys make something out of it or just like to have laying around ?
I have 5 pieces just as samples. I gave one of the pieces I found this weekend to a friend. I know my brother sells it. You wanna buy some?

Old Monopoly game ship?
Thanks Sue. I googled Monopoly ships and they are very similar.
Cool finds. Love that tag, the color, and most of all, its message.
Thanks. The Lords prayer tag is pretty neat.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's good news Steve, means you should be able to get back on there by mid-October. :thumbsup:
Dave
Hopefully he cuts the stubble close to the ground. It seems some do and some don't. But I know what you mean about corn. They leave that feed corn stand forever! I guess they have to let it stand until the moisture level in the corn drops to a certain level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread