1850's Pontil Glass Double 'XX' Dug in NYC!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caught the outgoing tide today in serch of antique bottles. Was not disappointed, found several very old ones including an 1850's-60's hand blown blob top with a pontil mark on the bottom! This bottle says 'R.C.&T. NEW YORK' and on back it says 'XX'.
20200609_201556.jpg

Quick google serch says it is likely 1850's mineral water or alcohol but not sure what the aberration stands for. Other bottles are neat too but not as interesting as a pre-Civil War pontil dug in NYC!
20200609_224858.jpg
20200609_230247.jpg
Sun was setting so I didn't have much time to dig but this particular site netted me two blobs, one tooled crown top, and a Bromo in less than 30 minutes under poor light conditions so I am definitely headed back. Had to walk over a mile through weeds and mud to get to it though.

Upvote 41
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the please of meeting Adele and I think she liked me because I gave her my marbles!I know a Trime was found here and gold.

Yes, always give her marbles and glass stoppers because she gives them to her daughter. She rewards me with lead soldiers when I give her marbles and will direct you to the good spots to dig if she likes you.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice bottles. I only seem to find bottles if there is a metal cap still on them. By the way, that top photo is beautiful. You are obviously a much better photographer than I am.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is Adele?

Adele is a self-described pirate who digs for treasure on a near daily-basis. Her area of expertise is mudlarking the low tide of Dead Horse Bay, an area in South Brooklyn located on Barren Island. I sometimes dig with her and many people who visit the island will run into her randomly if they know where to look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread