Old clay smoking pipe found I believe it’s 1600’s if anyone can help thanks !

Jimbob86

Jul 2, 2020
High wycombe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 374CCE1B-2368-4219-ABD2-AE5AF240CB43.jpeg
    374CCE1B-2368-4219-ABD2-AE5AF240CB43.jpeg
    939.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 8A188980-1F79-4F96-ACF2-6F4EFCD04E0B.jpeg
    8A188980-1F79-4F96-ACF2-6F4EFCD04E0B.jpeg
    975.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 2DEFA000-4D56-4A4F-8273-965BE3ADDB93.jpeg
    2DEFA000-4D56-4A4F-8273-965BE3ADDB93.jpeg
    936.3 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 17

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find. You can get a reasonable date from the bowl shape. as per this illustration:

Clay Pipe Bowl Shapes (1580-1840).jpg

I also provided this information on another thread a while ago, that helps confirm possible dates of imported pipes (that one will be an import) because bowl shape/size alone will not always tell you:

One interesting thing about clay pipes is that the diameter of the hole in the stem progressively decreases as the pipes become more recent. Probably because stem lengths were progressively decreasing. Although only 'verified' for pipes originating from Britain, it does at least provide some indication of date for clay pipes in general. Building on work by J. C. Harrington in the 1950s (he examined thousands of pipe stems excavated at Jamestown and other colonial Virginia sites) Louis Binford later devised a mathematical formula from which he derived the following table (the cut-off dates are of course not absolute):

9/64" bore dates to 1590-1620
8/64" bore dates to 1620-1650
7/64" bore dates to 1650-1680
6/64" bore dates to 1680-1720
5/64" bore dates to 1720-1750
4/64" bore dates to 1750-1800

The easiest way to check the bore is with set of small steel drill bits. Carefully insert the bits into the stem hole until you find one that fits exactly.

PS: Welcome to T-net

Last edited:

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Coat I found a clay pipe several years ago .I never knew there was a way to age one that was read simple By using your advice with the drill bits I determined the one i found was from the 1750 to 1800 era .While mine is not as old as most others ,The age adds another bit of information to the area that am studying Thanks for posting that

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimbob86

Jul 2, 2020
High wycombe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello thanks for the info that has really helped, I’m going to go back and try and find the rest of the stem and I will get the drill bits out tomorrow and let you know the results! Also It was found in the uk just outside of London !Is this an American site or global ? And Thank you for the Welcome

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello thanks for the info that has really helped, I’m going to go back and try and find the rest of the stem and I will get the drill bits out tomorrow and let you know the results! Also It was found in the uk just outside of London !Is this an American site or global ? And Thank you for the Welcome

Ah... since the majority of frequently-posting members here are from the other side of the pond, I wrongly assumed that you were too... particularly with the 'Jimbob' moniker.

It's very much a global site, so it always helps if you say where an item was found and adding your location to your profile is a useful reminder to other members that your spell-checker hasn't adopted any charming interpretations of our English spelling.

Welcome again (from another Brit).

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice personal relic recovery, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

Jimbob86

Jul 2, 2020
High wycombe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello thanks all and thanks red coat your info has been invaluable the hole is slightly larger than 3mm so it prob 8 or 9/64 and by the bowl shape I would say 1640-70 then with the stem size probably the earlier part of that range is my guess what do you all think ?
As for jimbob ha I never really thought of it but I suppose it is quite American it was just a Knick name I inherited at work (roofers) !!!
I’ve cleaned it up a bit an hopefully a better photo would love to hear what everyone thinks thanks again what a brilliant website wish I’d found it earlier

Attachments

• 90552BCB-697E-465D-A299-BB6A047FDD4B.jpeg
    90552BCB-697E-465D-A299-BB6A047FDD4B.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 50
  • E5451DF4-7EAB-431A-AF93-995D8E596333.jpeg
    E5451DF4-7EAB-431A-AF93-995D8E596333.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 34

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find and I agree with your dating. You could pretty reliably put it around 1640-1650 plus or minus a bit.

OP
OP
J

Jimbob86

Jul 2, 2020
High wycombe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant thank you very much red coat. I always wanted to be an archaeologist but was stupid at school and fell into roofing but this has revived my love for it hopefully just the start of many more finds !!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet fellow UKer.
It a global site but with a majority of US.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant thank you very much red coat. I always wanted to be an archaeologist but was stupid at school and fell into roofing but this has revived my love for it hopefully just the start of many more finds !!!
I help with all the local archaeological digs in the area. With your future detecting skills your be an asset, as they have little interest or training in metal detectors.
So if you want to get involved it's easy.
If your not alreay using google earth to find ancient sites, you need to download it & look for crop-marks on every date on the timeline. (some years are better than others)
I've now discovered nearly 50 Roman Sites, some known by the Arkies, many not. I work so closely with their community we have done our own digs.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We'd all be in a fix if it weren't for roofers like yourself. Thanks for what you do. Great and beautiful find!

OP
OP
J

Jimbob86

Jul 2, 2020
High wycombe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks crusader I’m going to start looking I have watched some historical programs where they use google earth type technology to discover new sites. I just assumed it was beyond the tec of google earth but now I know I will be looking. Are you local to me then ? Thanks again any info or other things I can join please send me info it really was my love as a child I just messed around at school and didn’t achieve my potential now 16 years later still regretting it !!

OP
OP
J

Jimbob86

Jul 2, 2020
High wycombe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'd all be in a fix if it weren't for roofers like yourself. Thanks for what you do. Great and beautiful find!

Thank you that’s very kind of you to say and very true but thanks if only my customers were so grateful! Thanks I was a really lucky find it was surrounded by chalk lumps !!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks crusader I’m going to start looking I have watched some historical programs where they use google earth type technology to discover new sites. I just assumed it was beyond the tec of google earth but now I know I will be looking. Are you local to me then ? Thanks again any info or other things I can join please send me info it really was my love as a child I just messed around at school and didn’t achieve my potential now 16 years later still regretting it !!
Passion beats degrees.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you that’s very kind of you to say and very true but thanks if only my customers were so grateful! Thanks I was a really lucky find it was surrounded by chalk lumps !!!

I'm grateful because I've done it and every other phase of residential construction before starting my own sign business nearly 40 years ago. People that haven't done something like that take it for granted and have no idea the toll it takes on the body through the years. Ever hear 'em say, "You make it look so easy."? They don't realize that proficiency doesn't come easy.

Still loving that pipe. Found my first intact one earlier in the year. When RedCoat told me it dated 1800-1840, it really made my day. Big deal in my area. I can't imagine finding anything from the 1600s.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sending you a PM with some of my secret weapons to find sites.:thumbsup:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Congratulations and welcome!

Passion beats degrees.

Well said and this reminds me of an episode of the Acorn series "The Detectorist". A great series on humor, life, and "even" detecting (even if it seemed a little hurried towards the end of the series).

The episode where the tall skinny one, without all "the credentials", wins a position on an African(?) dig because of his passion, by finding a pipe(?) on the grounds where the interview was held.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread