6 Bonus Fields - The Return - Day 2 - 4 Hammered & GOLD POSY RING ! ! !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cool day to grid the field for 5.5 hours.
Only a couple of days ago a detecting contact shared with me by email a silver gilt posy ring. I congratulated him on a rare find & stated I had only ever had 1 gold version & you could detect another 20 years & not get another one! I hope he keeps sharing his good finds & whispers up some more goodies for me.:laughing7:

2 Scrappies (not yet pictured)
WWI Machine Gunner Corp Button
WWI 'Death or Glory Boys' Button (17th Lancers famous for the Charge of the Light Brigade)8-)
17th C Lead Powder Flask Lid
3 Lead Tokens
Rose Farthing
8th (South Canterbury) Squadron Cap Badge - Scarce - See complete version:
https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/8th-south-canterbury-squadron
Bit of a Silver Thimble
Tudor Book Clasp
Roman Oval Brooch
Medieval Horse Harness Pendant Hanger
Celtic Woad Grinder (broken but rare find!):icon_thumright:
1844 Sixpence
4 Hammered:
  • 2 Charles I Pennies
  • Lizzy Threepence
  • Commonwealth Halfgroat
Circa late 17th C Gold Posy Ring with inscription - ''A VERTUOUS WIFE PRESERUETH [LIFE]'' (The 'LIFE' not visible) 7.34g of probably 22kt.:headbang:
It's TREASURE, so it will be handed in to go throw the process.

Our local Pub opened back up today. Cheers everyone.:occasion14:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 50
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great finds! You said that the ring will have to go through "the process." Does that mean that it gets documented, and then you get it back? And, what is the trigger for something to be "treasure?" Everything you post looks like treasure!
Single gold or silver coins don't count but if an artefact is over 300 years old & has 10% or more gold or silver content then it is defined as Treasure under the terms of the 1996 Treasure Act.
As the finder I have 14 days to declare it to the Authority. (I sent an email last night declaring it)
The British Museum writes a Report with full description and asks the Coroner to rubber stamp it as Treasure. At this point it belongs to the Crown.
There are only 2 outcomes after they establish what the agreement is with the landowner (who holds all Rights if no agreement is in place) I have a 50/50 split. (but in theory it could be 100% to me, although we would never contract like that):
1. A local Museum wishes to purchase it at market value (after the independent Valuation Committee have placed a £ on it)
2. Or no Museum wants it & the Crown return it to me
This process will take at least 18 months.
If I get it back, I will then discuss with the owner how they wish to proceed. ie. buy my half out & keep it or put it up for auction. (This type of item is the only type I sell because I can't afford to keep it)

In real terms overall I only find less than 1% Treasure as defined by the Act. (So this is part of that less than 1% finds!)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked the collection & I only have 1 coat button & this is its matching cuff button.We have only had these, so I would say rare as well.

Quite rare IMO.

And beings I am NOT a button person at all... never have been... in fact gave away or sold every one I ever found.

That one... would be a keeper... One word comes to mind that keeps that one.

PIRATE.

:P

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring is awesome! Personally like the Hat Badge! Congrats......Hogge

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another hunt with incredible finds. As treasure, if they keep it where would it likely end up? Would a museum display it (assuming in a display along with other items of the period) or would it just end up in a drawer locked away to be forgotten for several more decades?

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Nice ring , Have been you digging in a WW1 Auxiliary Hospital Dump. TP

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Can't find anything yet on the maker mark 'B' in a heart shaped stamp? (Anyone that knows a good resource let us know?)

A little history on Posy Rings;
They started in the Medieval Period with an inscription on the outside & later examples were on the inside, so that only the beholder knew its secret.

''Posy rings derive their name from the word “posy” or “Poesy” – a derivative of poetry meaning short rhyme. The rings were popular from the late medieval period onwards and were used to communicate secret messages of love between the giver and the recipient. The wearing of words against the skin was believed to increase their poignancy.''

Mine is a 'Marriage Ring' because they frequently expressed the sentiment of "Mvlier viro svbiecta esto", or urged the wife to be contented, or reminded her that a virtuous wife "comforts" or "preserveth" life or "banish strife" but one threatens "If thee doesn't work, thee shasn't eat"
So, it's the modern day version of ''Happy Wife Happy Life"

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another hunt with incredible finds. As treasure, if they keep it where would it likely end up? Would a museum display it (assuming in a display along with other items of the period) or would it just end up in a drawer locked away to be forgotten for several more decades?
As I strangely have little sentimental attachments to rings, unlike all the other objects I could never let go of, I wouldn't mind it going to a Museum because at the end of the day I'll get close to Market Value Tax Free £££s
As it's a fairly common inscription the only Museums that will show an interest, if any, would be geoghracially local to the findspot. Who knows what they would do with it!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds ! Really nice variety and quantity of goodies ! So nice that your local pub opened in time for a much deserved pint !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never ceases to amaze me...

The pure simple SMART logic the English have concerning the finds within the U.K.

I only hope that one day the U.S. will adopt a similar stance.

Until then... I am jealous.

Ok there...

I admitted it.

Arrrrrrrrrrrr time for Rum.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds ! Really nice variety and quantity of goodies ! So nice that your local pub opened in time for a much deserved pint !
Yeap. This one was all about timing, starting from the email from a mate to my copycat find on the very next outing on the day that the Pub opened.
Honestly screw all the bad news of the virus, I'm having one of my best years.:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never ceases to amaze me...

The pure simple SMART logic the English have concerning the finds within the U.K.

I only hope that one day the U.S. will adopt a similar stance.

Until then... I am jealous.

Ok there...

I admitted it.

Arrrrrrrrrrrr time for Rum.
Most of Europe envy our Laws which I think are very fair. Reporting has grown from about 200 Treasure cases a year to 1200. That doesn't include all the voluntary PAS reporting which is through the roof. The valuable data they are collecting from us has completely changed the acedemics interpretation of our History. Those European Countries that have banned it all together learn NOTHING. Other than peoples greed will ignore the Laws, steal the finds & put them on the Black Market. Lose/Lose.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of Europe envy our Laws which I think are very fair. Reporting has grown from about 200 Treasure cases a year to 1200. That doesn't include all the voluntary PAS reporting which is through the roof. The valuable data they are collecting from us has completely changed the acedemics interpretation of our History. Those European Countries that have banned it all together learn NOTHING. Other than peoples greed will ignore the Laws, steal the finds & put them on the Black Market. Lose/Lose.

I applaud this brilliant tactic.

The Archies should be smiling proud at this achievement.

As should we all.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Average Midwest American hunter spends lifetime hunting: lucky to have found a few coins in the late 1800's range and a rusty cow bell. Meanwhile in Europe, hold my beer, here's my afternoons findings! Congrats on another round of great finds! I'm off to the barn, going to eye the sturdy cross beam in the hay loft for awhile....

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. Looks like you got a bit of exercise with that load of excellent relics and coins.
What is a "Bonus" field?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. Looks like you got a bit of exercise with that load of excellent relics and coins.
What is a "Bonus" field?
Normally at this time of year all of the fields have crops in them. But these 6 fields never got drilled because of bad weather, so they are a bonus for this time of year.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again! :occasion14:
You're still on a roll! It's simply stunning what a year you have. I'm happy to look at your finds here waiting for the time we can go out. I hope to get the coil over some goodies as well then.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing the details regarding treasure finds in the U.K. I agree with AARC it does seem like a very reasonable system. Also, thanks for the history of posy rings. Since they are a tradition in England, I would expect that some would be found at colonial sites over here, but I haven't seen any on t-net, that I can remember. I imagine they would be exceptionally rare in the U.S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions