Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a brief, but highly productive hunt in the woods late yesterday. My first decent target was a pocket spill of IHP's

026.JPG

This was followed by a lovely big copper. This one is pretty rough, but the date is plain to see...1700! I'm guessing it's a William III half penny. Love the green patina on this coin.

003.JPG 014.JPG 017.JPG

Next was a very crisp high tone which turned out to be a 1909 Barber quarter. It's pretty rough too, but that's just fine.

006.JPG 019.JPG 021.JPG

Saving the best for last... was a gold ring. I very, very rarely find gold jewelry, given that I spend almost all of my time hunting in the woods. This ring is a large man's wedding band, weighing 0.33 oz. It's inscribed "MK to MH 1900", and is stamped "REED" and "18 b KT". The "b" is quite small...not sure what that means. I've done some searching on the internet for this marking, but so far, no luck. If any one has come across this stamp before, please let me know.

010.JPG 022.JPG

What I found so surprising about this hunt was that all of these finds were in roughly the same 400 square foot area. Good luck, and HH to All.

Upvote 44

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a helluva hunt! Huge congrats!
Go CoronaSox!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10A.jpg ...is it a b or possible p - p would stand for plumb which is a gold term

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job!! I found a band yesterday marked E14k, it’s was dirty so I stuck my pinky finger in it and gave it a twist. I found out “E” is an indication of gold plating, and it was loose, and cut my f****** finger all the way around. I like yours better, prolly didn’t make you bleed and swear like a british sailor. Great hunt!!!!!!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
E=electroplate, Joe.
You might have to add some glitter to that moniker, monkey! Excellent digs and thanks for sharing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going with plated as well.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Thanks for sharing. Hope you can dig up more in that area.

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic finds neighbor- Congrats!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hunt! You did excellent there! That's pretty amazing how worn the coin is but the date is so clear! That almost never seems to happen! So close to the 1600's! Seems like a date that doesn't come up often on coppers either! Old gold is pretty awesome too!!! Congrats on it all!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I do like to see those William III's come out of the ground.....especially with a solid date. Very nice !

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like a William and Mary obverse with a William III date on the reverse. Maybe it's just some crud that looks like the nose on Mary's face on the right side of the obverse. Maybe just my imagination. Anyway, what a great hunt. Congrats!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Almost looks like a William and Mary obverse with a William III date on the reverse. Maybe it's just some crud that looks like the nose on Mary's face on the right side of the obverse. Maybe just my imagination. Anyway, what a great hunt. Congrats!

Dates are wrong as you say but now that you mention it, I do see Mary's "nose". :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread