Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Draped Bust is toasted but it is my first Counterstamped coin. looks like it’s stamped with U R not sure what that means yet.The 1848 large cent cleaned up real nice. I just rolled q-tips soaked in HP or MS70 across the surface about a million times lol. Lots of other goodies too. Hope everyone is well. Thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682610.262942.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682625.195141.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682639.618162.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682655.327208.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682668.938946.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682704.577669.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596682718.577673.jpg

Upvote 28

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a real nice set of finds there. I believe your counter-stamp is a UB and not a UR. The large cent cleaned up real nice. What's MS70? What kind of site was it?

Sue_Doanim

Apr 26, 2009
1-8-0 visible on the old one. Last digit is tough but doable if you compare yours to internet images of the eight possible dates 1800-1807 side by side, one date at a time, lining up the 1-8-0 on yours vs the image, and then using the image to project exactly where the last digit would be on your coin, and deciding which date is most consistent with the high points on your coin.

The 1848 looks like it was dropped as the guy walked out of the bank!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the counter stamp copper.
What's the object in the last photo-just not grasping what it is?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a real nice set of finds there. I believe your counter-stamp is a UB and not a UR. The large cent cleaned up real nice. What's MS70? What kind of site was it?

MS70 is a brand of coin cleaner. Works well on mint state silver coins that are slightly dirty. I could not see any results when I used it on old copper. Maybe need more applications? Gary

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice collection of goodies there. I’ve only been able to get one date on all the draped bust cent I’ve found, 1805. Love that tombac

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah looks like it could be a B for sure. MS70 is a coin industrial strength coin brightener or at least that’s what it claims to be on the bottle lol .The coins and most of the relics were found near a cellar hole and some of the buttons and bridal rosette were found on the old wagon road that leads to the site . I was using a whites MX sport with a 7” coil.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking the counter stamp copper.
What's the object in the last photo-just not grasping what it is?

Thanks, . From what I’ve learned from the web and others the last photo is an old Pewter spoon or at least a portion of one. Pretty old some of these date back to the 16th 17th and 18th centuries this one I believe it’s 18th century.

http://www.pewterbank.com/Spoons_..articles..13.pdf

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MS70 is a brand of coin cleaner. Works well on mint state silver coins that are slightly dirty. I could not see any results when I used it on old copper. Maybe need more applications? Gary

Gary, when used alone I really don’t see much happening either but if I found that If I alternate between HP and MS70 things start bubble up pretty good and it seems to help cut through some of the crud. I’m probably creating some kind of toxic chemical reaction but it seems to work on some coins so do this with caution. As we all know coins are what they are when they come out of the dirt and some are just toast.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-8-0 visible on the old one. Last digit is tough but doable if you compare yours to internet images of the eight possible dates 1800-1807 side by side, one date at a time, lining up the 1-8-0 on yours vs the image, and then using the image to project exactly where the last digit would be on your coin, and deciding which date is most consistent with the high points on your coin.

The 1848 looks like it was dropped as the guy walked out of the bank!

Dang Sue you have a sharp eye thanks. I’m thinking it could be a 4* I’ll need to stare at it for a few more hours lol. The 48 was found on the hillside that leads down to the well. Poor fella lost his paycheck on payday.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of goodies there. I’ve only been able to get one date on all the draped bust cent I’ve found, 1805. Love that tombac

The dirt is definitely tough on these coins. Gotta be a sealed jar of these out there just waiting for me. Lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the killer relic and old coppers! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice coins and relics. That counterstamp sure makes that coin interesting. Love the bell.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The dirt is definitely tough on these coins. Gotta be a sealed jar of these out there just waiting for me. Lol[/QUOTE]

OR...I'll take a broken jar!!!!

Grats on a great outing and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dirt is definitely tough on these coins. Gotta be a sealed jar of these out there just waiting for me. Lol

OR...I'll take a broken jar!!!!

Grats on a great outing and thanks for sharing.[/QUOTE]

Haha! Broken would be just fine.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a nice variety of finds. I love the bell..Coins are always nice! Very neat. Enjoy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread