Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Yes I've been hunting a lot lately, most of the time with my son. And I couldn't be happier - quality time with him is priceless.
Yesterday my son and I met up with a friend of mine (one of the guys I mentioned in a previous post who's rather new to detecting), and the three of us detected the grass surrounding parking area of a large local park. I use historic arial photographs to understand how these locations change over time; I've included a quick video below showing the location in 2015 compared to 1957 (the best+oldest arial photo of my area available; the 1931 one is very blurry). We detected that parking area in the center that was the white field in 1957, though I think all the dirt in the area has changed since '57 based on boots-on-the-ground observation.
Anyway, my son said "Dad can I swing the detector?" and I said, "absolutely!" You guys know it's hard to give up the detector and become the digger/pinpointer, but I was glad he showed interest. And I was impressed: he's learned a lot listening to me describe how I decide whether to dig a target or not.

And the best thing was that he found stuff that he was really excited about. The bracelet with the five words is sterling; there's a "925" on the clasp. It's 0.57oz, so there's actually a little silver there! And the sergeant's rank badge, the little turtle (without his head - we decided he pulled his head into his shell vs. the reality that it broke off) and the soccer pin got my son excited every time we pulled one out of the ground. The coins are all 1970's or newer, but hey - $0.29 richer.
At the end, unsolicited, my son said, "Dad this was really fun." I couldn't have been happier.

Great day yesterday.

- Brian

nsGoVTK.jpg

Upvote 12

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The time with your son is worth more than you can get out of the ground.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally understand and agree with that feeling- very nice!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post and memories found and memories made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread