Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting in my favorite little park when I noticed a younger fellow approaching me. I could tell he wanted to ask a question or two so I stopped swinging and adjusted one earphone so I could hear him.
He asked if I hunted here much and if I had any luck. Since I had just gotten started I showed him the few pull tabs and bottle caps I had dug in the last couple minutes.

He held out his hand and showed me a heavy men's ring. It appeared to be a Tungsten Carbide men's wedding band. IMG_2861[1].JPEG (Added photo of Tungsten Carbide Ring. Rudy sent me this photo today so I could add it to the write up)

It was then that he told me his daughter had found it while looking for his lost ring. I congratulated him on finding his ring and asked if a detector had been used to find it. Didn't understand his reply immediately.

Rudy said that his daughter had found it but not with a detector....and that it wasn't his ring. Now I'm really confused. So I asked him if his ring had been found. He replied that he didn't think so but couldn't be sure as it had been missing since June of this year. I asked him if he had an idea where it was lost. He said yes. So I said let's go look for it.

As we walked from the grassy park area toward the swim beach he filled me in.

Rudy told me he was playing with his son in the lake. He had picked his son up in the chest deep water and heaved the boy into the air to splash into the water. His wedding ring flew in an arc quite similar to that of his son. Rudy grabbed unsuccessfully at the ring as it plummeted into the murky, chest deep water.

The lake has been drawn down quite a bit in the heat of the summer so they were back looking in the mud for it.

To my amazement Rudy had a pretty good idea where he thought it was. He had drawn grid lines in the sand and through the muck showing where he was pretty confident his ring would be if it hadn't been found already.

I shared with Rudy that I had seen a post in the forum of the Home Owner's Association (HOA) that maintains the park and beach that a wedding ring had been found about three weeks prior. I had a feeling his ring had already been found and someone was just waiting for him to call and claim it.

His mother in law was there helping using a Bounty Hunter detector. I think it was a 250 but not sure. A simple machine but I tossed a couple caps and pull tabs on the ground and verified it worked. She had sensitivity dialed almost all the way down and discrimination almost all the way up. I suggested she put it on full sensitivity and no discrimination but that was a guess as I've never seen or used a Bounty Hunter before.

Rudy and his (MIL) packed up to go have lunch and check the forum for the found ring. So I picked the grid closest to the lake and muck at what Rudy thought would have been about chest deep water back in June. Swung through that lane and proceeded into the next. No luck. Then, about half way through the lane and within five minutes of Rudy's departure from the scene and my having started searching I had a solid signal that didn't bounce or waver. Voila! White Gold and a small diamond just as he had described. LZOQ9904[1].JPG IMG_2287[1].JPG

I sent a pic to Rudy and asked him if it was his. I didn't hear right back so I kept swinging. Next lane in Rudy's grid I hit this cute little kiddie ring. Looks like copper. May have been silver plated at one time. IMG_2293[1].JPG

So, in the course of just 10-15 minutes for me, two rings. And probably within 3 hours total, Rudy, his MIL, his daughter and I pulled 3 rings outta the mud and sand in a very small area at my favorite park.

Rudy got his wedding ring back, I remember him saying it was his birthday too! First ring with ICE for me but still happy to return it to him! IMG_2289[1].JPG

I explained the steps I would take if I were him to try to return the ring his family found and assured him the feeling of accomplishing a return is worth the effort.

And I got to keep the junker.

Three Rings, Two Rings...One.

Sorry for the sideways iphone pics!

Attachments

• IMG_2285[1].JPG
    IMG_2285[1].JPG
    976.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice post, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job on the find and return.

Thanks Trez,

Hoping Rudy can use the tools I gave him to return the Tungsten ring he and his family found while looking for his ring! That would make this a double return post. I'm heading back to the same park this weekend. I've never hunted down in the late summer muck before. I'm sure there are more down there!

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting in my favorite little park when I noticed a younger fellow approaching me. I could tell he wanted to ask a question or two so I stopped swinging and adjusted one earphone so I could hear him.
He asked if I hunted here much and if I had any luck. Since I had just gotten started I showed him the few pull tabs and bottle caps I had dug in the last couple minutes.

He held out his hand and showed me a heavy men's ring. It appeared to be a Tungsten Carbide men's wedding band. View attachment 1865699 (Added photo of Tungsten Carbide Ring. Rudy sent me this photo today so I could add it to the write up)

It was then that he told me his daughter had found it while looking for his lost ring. I congratulated him on finding his ring and asked if a detector had been used to find it. Didn't understand his reply immediately.

Rudy said that his daughter had found it but not with a detector....and that it wasn't his ring. Now I'm really confused. So I asked him if his ring had been found. He replied that he didn't think so but couldn't be sure as it had been missing since June of this year. I asked him if he had an idea where it was lost. He said yes. So I said let's go look for it.

As we walked from the grassy park area toward the swim beach he filled me in.

Rudy told me he was playing with his son in the lake. He had picked his son up in the chest deep water and heaved the boy into the air to splash into the water. His wedding ring flew in an arc quite similar to that of his son. Rudy grabbed unsuccessfully at the ring as it plummeted into the murky, chest deep water.

The lake has been drawn down quite a bit in the heat of the summer so they were back looking in the mud for it.

To my amazement Rudy had a pretty good idea where he thought it was. He had drawn grid lines in the sand and through the muck showing where he was pretty confident his ring would be if it hadn't been found already.

I shared with Rudy that I had seen a post in the forum of the Home Owner's Association (HOA) that maintains the park and beach that a wedding ring had been found about three weeks prior. I had a feeling his ring had already been found and someone was just waiting for him to call and claim it.

His mother in law was there helping using a Bounty Hunter detector. I think it was a 250 but not sure. A simple machine but I tossed a couple caps and pull tabs on the ground and verified it worked. She had sensitivity dialed almost all the way down and discrimination almost all the way up. I suggested she put it on full sensitivity and no discrimination but that was a guess as I've never seen or used a Bounty Hunter before.

Rudy and his (MIL) packed up to go have lunch and check the forum for the found ring. So I picked the grid closest to the lake and muck at what Rudy thought would have been about chest deep water back in June. Swung through that lane and proceeded into the next. No luck. Then, about half way through the lane and within five minutes of Rudy's departure from the scene and my having started searching I had a solid signal that didn't bounce or waver. Voila! White Gold and a small diamond just as he had described. View attachment 1865183 View attachment 1865176

I sent a pic to Rudy and asked him if it was his. I didn't hear right back so I kept swinging. Next lane in Rudy's grid I hit this cute little kiddie ring. Looks like copper. May have been silver plated at one time. View attachment 1865178

So, in the course of just 10-15 minutes for me, two rings. And probably within 3 hours total, Rudy, his MIL, his daughter and I pulled 3 rings outta the mud and sand in a very small area at my favorite park.

Rudy got his wedding ring back, I remember him saying it was his birthday too! First ring with ICE for me but still happy to return it to him! View attachment 1865177

I explained the steps I would take if I were him to try to return the ring his family found and assured him the feeling of accomplishing a return is worth the effort.

And I got to keep the junker.

Three Rings, Two Rings...One.

Sorry for the sideways iphone pics!
VERY COOL STORY

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
VERY COOL STORY

Thanks Silveraddict,

Only thing better than making a return is making the find in the first place so I can actually make the return. This guy was so grateful to get his ring back! Offered to pay me but the smile in the photo was payment enough!

Grease

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread